Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello fella's, i'm managing man united in my second season and i'm quite stuck because i just can't seem to get the best out of dimitar berbatov. he rarely scores and creates nothing. i play very attacking formation and have set berbatov's tactics so his creative freedom is high as his creativity is a good rating and he plays a free role up front. please hel?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Benji2009 - Unfortunately Berbatov's work rate is very low and it's sometimes hard to get him involved in play, even with free roles and high creative freedom. I also struggled to get him to work well with the rest of my team. I ended up selling him to Inter Milan for 40 million and replacing him with Bojan ;)

Ok, I have a stupid question.

What does FLAIR mean and who is it useful for?

Flair is the ability to do the unexpected using skill and technique.

Players with good flair can often work well when given higher creative freedom, especially in attacking and support roles.

hi guys, my turn for a stupid question. When your ass man takes over ur squad for friendly matches, does he use ur tactic? or does he use his own? coz i was looking in the team settings menu and there is no use current tactic box (first team ) that i can check. just wondering ... :D thanks

hi guys, my turn for a stupid question. When your ass man takes over ur squad for friendly matches, does he use ur tactic? or does he use his own? coz i was looking in the team settings menu and there is no use current tactic box (first team ) that i can check. just wondering ... :D thanks

He uses his own tactic in friendly matches.

I believe that even when you tick the box 'use my tactic' in the holiday settings, the assistant will make changes to your tactic as the game progresses (e.g. become more attacking or more defensive etc.) although he will stick to your formation.

That's my understanding anyway.

He uses his own tactic in friendly matches.

I believe that even when you tick the box 'use my tactic' in the holiday settings, the assistant will make changes to your tactic as the game progresses (e.g. become more attacking or more defensive etc.) although he will stick to your formation.

That's my understanding anyway.

ahh cheers for the quick reply :D

Just started playing a few weeks ago, still in my first season with QPR. In the forums I have come across discussions of tactical scouting reports of upcoming opponents. How do I obtain these scouting reports for my team?

The pre-game message I get is normally about how many cards the referee has given and other such drivel, but nothing tactical about my opponent. Do I have to hire a scout/coach to do this for me? I've tried assigning my scout this task, but the option doesn't exist...

Just started playing a few weeks ago, still in my first season with QPR. In the forums I have come across discussions of tactical scouting reports of upcoming opponents. How do I obtain these scouting reports for my team?

The pre-game message I get is normally about how many cards the referee has given and other such drivel, but nothing tactical about my opponent. Do I have to hire a scout/coach to do this for me? I've tried assigning my scout this task, but the option doesn't exist...

You can assign a scout the task, there should be an option for 'Next Opposition' as one of his possible tasks, set him to that (you can assign him other tasks at the same time but this may reduce efficiency) and that should sort it.

You can assign a scout the task, there should be an option for 'Next Opposition' as one of his possible tasks, set him to that (you can assign him other tasks at the same time but this may reduce efficiency) and that should sort it.

Thanks much. Appreciated.

:confused:my approach to tactics is more or less, get the best coaches possible and let them work their magic with the players. assign a coach, where possible, one area of training each. my players attributes always rise but i fear not as much as if i set players their own assignments. any fool proof ones for defense? midfield? attack? help!:confused:

NLmichiej-

Doesn't matter. Zonal vs. man will only change who does the marking. The OI says "tight mark player X." If you're on man, then whoever on your team plays against him naturally based on pitch position will always tight mark him wherever he goes. If you're on zonal, then someone will always be on him, but your players will switch off if he moves into another zone.

Man is more straightforward but if you're marking a really mobile and versatile player could lead to him pulling your player out of position.

Hello

Could someone kindly explain the concept of 'free attributes' for me please? What are they and how do they work?

Thanks

That's a bit of a tough nut to crack. How in depth do you want to get into it?

The concept of free attributes relates to how the game calculates a player's Current Ability. CA is something you can only see using a third party scouting resource. The default game will never tell you.

Anyway, a max current ability does not require every individual attribute to be maxed out. Rather, only the ones that are relavent to the player's position. So, if there are 20 attributes, current ability may only factor in 17 of them. This means that, in the other three attributes, the player could be anywhere from 1-20 and it won't change his CA. Again, different positions have different numbers of free attributes and they are not the same ones.

I saw somewhere where it was detailed exactly how this works mechanically, and I thought it was in the editors hideaway, but a forum search and my own browsing didn't find it. Sorry! But, if you don't use any third party software and don't worry about CA and PA and editing them, then you don't need to worry about free attributes.

Tell everybody to stay back except one of your strikers. Have your FB mark the posts, and also have your wingers mark the posts. Have your CB's mark tall players, and have your CM's mark short players.

Okay I play like this

FB CB CB FB

CM(a) CM(d)

AM AM

ST(*) ST

CM(a) has forward runs often and through balls often. And attacking mentality, and because its Sneijder hes my playmaker and has creative freedom. CM(d) has defensive mentality, low creative freedom, through balls on mix, and forward runs rarely. My wingers have cross on mixed, attacking mentality, some creative freedom, run with ball often, long shots rarely/mixed, and through balls mixed.

My ST(*) will come deep, through balls often. My other ST has forward runs often and through balls rarely. I can't get the ball to my strikers. They are really good strikers too (Love, Huntelaar, Raul, Higuain), but I just can't get the ball to them. Anybody know what my problem is? Heres a better picture of my formation

Click it(didn't want to make the page run slow for everybody, especially if they have slow internet

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it. Read TT&F again and I adjusted my tactics.

I know it was asked a little further up on the page but what other ways of countering a team that switches to 4-2-4 are there? I've tried a couple of things but after two consecutive instances of the opposing team equalising with their 1st attack of the game after switching to 4-2-4 in the 90th has annoyed me to much.

I know it was asked a little further up on the page but what other ways of countering a team that switches to 4-2-4 are there? I've tried a couple of things but after two consecutive instances of the opposing team equalising with their 1st attack of the game after switching to 4-2-4 in the 90th has annoyed me to much.

What form do you watch your matches in? Highlight or full?

It matters quite a bit in this case, as if you are watching it in highlight, and you notice that the opposition has changed their formation to 4-2-4, it is too late, as that specific highlight you are at has already taken place and you cannot change it to combat the 424 system at that point in time.

I believe it was mentioned earlier and I personally think it works to combat the opp 424 system. Set your full backs to man marking tight. Move your MCd to DMC position if you want for added precaution. Change time wasting to often if you want to wind down the clock.

Other than that I don't change my other team settings, and more often that not I end up counterattacking the 4-2-4 with a superb through pass from defence to attack. And I score another. :D

I'm new to the game and not sure if this is the right thread (if not sorry).

Have a question about training.

I'm playing with Arsenal and want to play 4-3-3 (like Barcelona with DM, 2 CM, AML/R). I know you can change players training but what settings would make AML a natural position for Nasri?

Sorry just figured out theres an option for it in the players training overview!

Hi, Wondering if anybody out there could help little old me with a daft question

How do you show the opposition players onto their weaker foot?

In the opposition instruction during a game there is an option to shows player onto their right/left or weaker foot.

I have 2 tactics- 1 home and away. the player instructions for set pieces are different in each. But i notice that if i change from tactic a to b, then back to a (not in the match mode, during the week when i am fine tuning) that tactic a's set piece instructions have changed to mirror tactic b, and i dont want this.

How do change between tactics (not in match mode) without unwanted changes being made?

I have a really stupid question and never bothered to ask until now.

If you set each individual players tactice to the presets, Defenders, Strikers etc etc. Then does this automatically override the Team instruction meaning that it has no effect?

Grohyt, it's easy to tell. If there's a check mark by the slider on the individual's settings, then that slider is overriding the team's. The only exceptions are the most extreme team mentality settings (first and last positions on the slider), which will override individual settings.

If I remember right, I believe those positional presets pretty much use all individual settings.

After the players come back from there end of season holiday should I change the tatics to help the players recover and if so how?? up all training or a while or just ceratin areas

Thank you in advance

i dont think changing tactics will help your plars recover mate.

during pre season, a manager should mainly forcus training on strength, aerobic and tactics preferably (i set all on high).

however if injuries pesist, be sure to reduce the aerobic/ strength training intensity accordingly.

I dont know if this is the right forum for this question but I cant download tactics posted in these forums! When I click on the link I get taken to file front with the option to download now but I cant get any further than that, does anyone know why this is? Any help/advice would be much appreciated!!

i dont think changing tactics will help your plars recover mate.

during pre season, a manager should mainly forcus training on strength, aerobic and tactics preferably (i set all on high).

however if injuries pesist, be sure to reduce the aerobic/ strength training intensity accordingly.

whoops i meant training :-s :-)

but thanks, tha'll be a help thank you

Can someone be nice and expain this to me?

"A key point to highlight here is this; "On a smaller to medium sized pitch when playing against a formation that roughly mirrors your own (i.e. 4-4-2 versus a 4-4-2 or 4-2-4) Player Strata/Channel Opposition Instructions are irrelevant. However, if the two formations don’t match, then OI becomes an important tool to combat players operating in different channels and/or strata from those in your team.""

Does it mean that if I play against a team on a small, medium sized pitch with a similar formation I shouldn't adjust the OI panels at all?

Can someone be nice and expain this to me?

"A key point to highlight here is this; "On a smaller to medium sized pitch when playing against a formation that roughly mirrors your own (i.e. 4-4-2 versus a 4-4-2 or 4-2-4) Player Strata/Channel Opposition Instructions are irrelevant. However, if the two formations don’t match, then OI becomes an important tool to combat players operating in different channels and/or strata from those in your team.""

Does it mean that if I play against a team on a small, medium sized pitch with a similar formation I shouldn't adjust the OI panels at all?

Not as a part of your closing down/marking system, but perhaps as a way to reduce some specific threats(like a great crosser from MR onto the head of 6.5ft, 20 in heading FC.

I don't know if this is a stupid question but I didn't want to open a new thread in vain. I need a few guidlines on how to set my defence. How to stop wingers from getting crosses and how to stop those strikers from getting away leaving my CB behind. I've read a few things and I play my defence high on the pitch and have my FBs closing down low and man marking. My CBs are man tight marking closing donw low either. Am i right, am I wrong? Some would be very apreciated. Cheers.

Hi guys,

Been thinking about the mentality sliders, both individual and global. Probably been over-thinking it actually. Do the individual mentality settings over-ride the team instruction, or do they work within it? By that i mean if the team mentality is set to 10 (normal) and the player mentality is set to 20 (attacking) will the player be 20 (all-out attacking) or sitting about 15 (multiplier of team and individual)?

Has kinda been pickling my head a bit and can't find an obvious answer!

Thanks!

I posted this in general, but had no reply perhaps this is a better place:

I had a search but couldn't find anything,

I was hoping someone could tell me how to view goalkeepers scoring history as the stats only seem to show 1 season.

What is more important in training the star rating for the coach(es) or their determination, motivating, level of discipline etc. e.g. there are loads of 'regen coaches' which are 7 star, but their mental stats are terrible. Should I sign these or others?

hello!

Im in a CL tie vs roma-the first game i tied 2-2 the second is at home against them. Last game we played OK but De Rossi was just running wild and couldnt be stopped. I dont mean like setting up his teammates, but he must have put little medical signs on half my team, there were all these hard tackles and everytime it said it was caused by De Rossi so he must have been smashing my team and he didn't get a yello.

so my question is how do I stop that behavior? They also have 20 strength Fazio in midfield so I have no midfielders who can compete with them physically, I just have Andrea Poli, Sandro, Celso Borges, Nicholas Lodiero and Anders as my midfielders. How do I stop De Rossi from destroying my team next game, I was tackling him hard but he still hurt half my team.

huk4js.jpg

also whats the best way to play against Roma's formation? Should I try to spread out the field?

^ That formation looks good up against Roma's. It doesn't look like they'll play with much width, so you've done the right thing in adding a DM, and playing with three at the back, one which can mark Vucinic and the others to close down the AMCs. Attacking down the flanks would also be recommended, as would playing with a high tempo as to avoid the midfield battle that Roma will easily come out on top of.

As for my stupid question. I'm playing on FM 2007 (It's the latest version my computer will take) and I was wondering how to play a player who has only AML, AMR, and AMC, as natural positions, and nothing for any other positions (not even ML or MR). Would I be able to play him in ML with farrows to AML? Keep in mind this is FM07 and farrows are completely independent of FRs. Or would I just be better off putting him as an outright AML and perhaps lower his mentality?

I remember some time ago I printed some stuff off re coaches and Assistant Managers. It was basically a list of attributes that would be needed for top coaching and attributes for a good AssMan. Can someone point me in the right direction to were I could find this or an up to date idea of what to be looking for.