Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Guys, because I love to play with a dlf, what is most important attributes for him? Strong and taller rather than dribbler and passing minded? Thanks

Go to the player attributes screen, click on Deep Lying Forward. Important attributes will be highlighted and will give you a good starting point.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the tempo of play change how the players are on the field? And a more precise question, does the fastest tempo of play mean the players will try and pass the ball of as quickly as possible?

as once again the flow of the game changes do to conceding yet another goal from a goalmouth scramble

can someone explain how AI hoof the ball away, yet I use 3 different tactics and the same result: (one downloaded)

when corner is cleared, its booted to flank (not set to do so either) crossed back in again from the guy who collects, and pings around the box before being scored, unless of course this doesn't happen directly.

AI rarely concedes to this and 9/10 hoofs ball away directly to their player.

I want my players to:

A: stop conceding soft corners/throw ins in the first place

B: clear ball to my player

as once again the flow of the game changes do to conceding yet another goal from a goalmouth scramble

can someone explain how AI hoof the ball away, yet I use 3 different tactics and the same result: (one downloaded)

when corner is cleared, its booted to flank (not set to do so either) crossed back in again from the guy who collects, and pings around the box before being scored, unless of course this doesn't happen directly.

AI rarely concedes to this and 9/10 hoofs ball away directly to their player.

I want my players to:

A: stop conceding soft corners/throw ins in the first place

B: clear ball to my player

I've already given you an answer on what we need to help us help you.

There's a 25 year old on my shortlist. Hs contract is running out in a month. I got a news item that his club has chosen not to retain him.

What is the process for signing him to a precontract? I've looked all over and can't find it.

There's a 25 year old on my shortlist. Hs contract is running out in a month. I got a news item that his club has chosen not to retain him.

What is the process for signing him to a precontract? I've looked all over and can't find it.

You're better off asking in the General Discussion forum, as this is for Tactics and Training only :).

Can i set up (or how do i set-up) my wide players to play as wingers when the ball in on their side, but act as inside fowards positionally off the ball when the ball is on the opposite flank?

Is it actual possession though or is it a case of the 4231 being more aggressive and winning the ball back quicker? This would make it seem like you have better possession because possession = time and not passes. Hence why a 4231 is better for higher pressing games.

Passes wise they are about the same, the 4123 is no higher here either.

you have to use Wide Midfielder to fully customize wide player behaviour. Then in your case makr winger PI's: dribble more, cross more often, cross from byline+ Run wide with the ball+ Sit Narrower :)

I have a query, or a ramble more like. (Yay, I'm back etc =p)

I think my biggest weakness, outside of getting things to work at times, has been figuring out how to set up a coherent midfield.

I feel like I'm verging on too cautious, -I was going to post this on Cleon's counter attacking thread but it seems to have been killed off. :(

Basically, my set up is kind of a modern 4-4-2. We have a flat(ish) back four - WB/S, CB/D, CB/D, FB/A - which is simple enough and it works well defensively, can't really argue there.

Sitting in front of it, is an Anchorman, because balls over the top kinda sucks, and I don't want a deep playmaker here because in my head the modern 4-2-3-1's of the day and even the 4-1-4-1's attack primarily through the middle, so really he's just there to lock things down.

The full midfield then is this: A/D, CM/S, AP/S, W/S.

Then the 'strikers' is actually an IF/A coupled with a DLF/S

The mentality set up is just a plain 'counter' mentality on fluid along with no instructions, though I'm always tempted to plug for 'play out of defence' in order to cut out some of the more direct defensive aspects of the counter mentality.

Now, I might be a bit of a hypocrite here, I've already identified that modern formations go down the middle, and what do I do? I focus my own stuff down the middle! >_<

So, what issues have I identified?

The DLF is wildly inconsistent, but the IF/A-DLF-CM combination works a treat, -sometimes-. The winger and Full back on the right offer something different, wide-play, and I picked a W/S on the past experience of wingers getting into the box quite often, plus with the anchor man I'm not too worried about the full back bombing on. In fact, it is a joy to watch.

My weak area is the left wing, but that's expected, that's part of the formation, and is partially why I've gone with a CM/S and WB/S to lock the area down. I *want* that wing back offering width there and exploiting the space the IF opens up, and I put him on support because I don't want him doing it willy-nilly, I don't have a double-pivot lockdown here, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

My problem then is the AP/S. Here's the rub, I *want* a playmaker in that general area, the idea being that he should have passing options all around him, but not necessarily always ahead of him; (the CM, the Winger, the full back, the forward, the onrunning IF, hell even the anchor man), in fact watching the playmaker play is a joy, except I think sometimes he's far too cautious and far too deep for his own good. One of the other major problems I've seen is the giant gap of the midfield to the attack, because of the counter mentality, we defend deep, and when we counter it is a joy to watch, but against teams that sit deep, I find the DLF doesn't always drop deep enough, or the midfield doesn't quite push up high enough.

Or maybe it's I need more people getting forward? I'm unsure, and yet I'm not sure I want to do a radical overhaul because the tactic is unbeaten so far, defensively solid, just half and half attacking-wise.

So my idea is, to swap the forward for a False 9 and to change the AP to be a roaming playmaker for more mobility in the middle, but I half-wonder if I should be more pragmatic and I should be more aggressive and go for a CM/A? It's a conundrum for sure. Does anyone have any thoughts that they could give to make me think of it from a different angle?

I seem to have "lost" both the latest scores and league table widgets ..... I have them ticked but they don't show anywhere on the match screen.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Cheers

you have to use Wide Midfielder to fully customize wide player behaviour. Then in your case makr winger PI's: dribble more, cross more often, cross from byline+ Run wide with the ball+ Sit Narrower :)

This directed at my question yau?

Hi,

Quick question

In my current tactic, 4123DM Wide Formation, i usually start the games playing with a Control mentality.

In this tactic i have 4 players with attack duty (both wingbacks, one midfielder and one inside forward).

My question is, if i decided to play more defensive i change my mentality for Counter during the game can i still mantain the players with the same duties (4 on attack, 3 on defend and 4 on support)?

In terms of the ME, what happens if i play with a defensive team mentality and 3 or 4 players with attack duty?

Hi,

Quick question

In my current tactic, 4123DM Wide Formation, i usually start the games playing with a Control mentality.

In this tactic i have 4 players with attack duty (both wingbacks, one midfielder and one inside forward).

My question is, if i decided to play more defensive i change my mentality for Counter during the game can i still mantain the players with the same duties (4 on attack, 3 on defend and 4 on support)?

In terms of the ME, what happens if i play with a defensive team mentality and 3 or 4 players with attack duty?

When you change Mentality, team mentality changes (as you know). However, it also changes individual player mentality.

If you are happy with the balance of roles in your Control tactic, there's no real reason (generally speaking) why that balance shouldn't remain if you change down mentality - everyone will just be less attack minded. However, that's generalising therefore it's always worth watching what happens in the match when you do change mentality just in case there is a need to make a further adjustment elsewhere.

Thks Herne,

Another question regarding training and PPM.

Ok, let's take for example the Inside Forward with support duty.

This player have the following PI's hardcoded:

- Dribble more

- cut inside with ball

- More risky passes

- cross less often

Do you guys make this player to learn the PPM to cut inside from the flank and to try killer balls often?

I ask this because, if we make him learn the PPM's that fit the role, i think that he could ended playing a very onedimensional style of football, while for example if i train him to hug the touchline and cross more often the style of football that would result from his PI's + PPM's would be more vary.

This could be one of those question where there is no right answer, but just curious to know what you usually do:

Train the PPM's that fit the players instruction role, or train PPM's that make the player do things different from the role he's playing.

Thks Herne,

- Dribble more

- cut inside with ball

- More risky passes

- cross less often

Do you guys make this player to learn the PPM to cut inside from the flank and to try killer balls often?

I ask this because, if we make him learn the PPM's that fit the role, i think that he could ended playing a very onedimensional style of football, while for example if i train him to hug the touchline and cross more often the style of football that would result from his PI's + PPM's would be more vary.

This could be one of those question where there is no right answer, but just curious to know what you usually do:

Train the PPM's that fit the players instruction role, or train PPM's that make the player do things different from the role he's playing.

There's no harm to training a player with those PPMs, and then playing him as a Winger (for example). He'll still have the tendency on occasion to Cut Inside, however his basic role will still be "Winger".

Hello guyes, how would you asses a player performance in a match according to his rate, I mean anyone 6,5 is not good, 6.6 -7.2 average, 7.3 +good? Thanks

That's very subjective. Some people won't like seeing anything less than 7.0, others are quite happy with lower scores. Technically the game averages out player ratings at around 6.0 (even lower if I remember correctly), but again that is perhaps lower than some people are comfortable with. Anyway, so long as your players are actually doing what they are supposed to be doing on the pitch, their ratings are irrelevant.

In the last 8-9 games I score 1 goal, maybe in two games I scored 2 goals. I have only victories, but I don't understand why it is not possible to score more. I don't change anything to may tactic. In first games I scored 4-5 goals, bit after that came this series with only 1 goal per game. My supporters are unhappy with my style of play, but I dominate, I have the possesion and a lot of occasions. My team is Ebbsfleet in Vananarama South. The team is very good for that division. Suggestions?

Thks Herne,

- Dribble more

- cut inside with ball

- More risky passes

- cross less often

If it helps i actually did this and the player in question just does what he wants now. Is exactly what i wanted and works really well as he is very unpredictable. Was an inside forward but managed to get at least 10 assists from the byline getting outside the fullback.

In the last 8-9 games I score 1 goal, maybe in two games I scored 2 goals. I have only victories, but I don't understand why it is not possible to score more. I don't change anything to may tactic. In first games I scored 4-5 goals, bit after that came this series with only 1 goal per game. My supporters are unhappy with my style of play, but I dominate, I have the possesion and a lot of occasions. My team is Ebbsfleet in Vananarama South. The team is very good for that division. Suggestions?

I can only generalise as there are no details here however, if you go on a good run of form opponents tend to tighten up against you. So, after a while you may find goals (and even wins) are harder to achieve.

Is that what is happening to you? No idea as without specific detail relating to your system it's impossible to be prescriptive, but I'd start by looking at how opponents are now playing against you.

Hmm, good point! I will check this aspect. Thanks!

I forgot a detail. In last games I have only one, maximum 2 players, who obtain ratings above 7. The rest of the team is under 7. So, maybe is something with my tactic, even if I have a lot of occasions? I play 442 or 424 with 2 wingers very advanced. In my last games I prefered 442 classic, with a TM and a Poacher or DLP/DF.

If it helps i actually did this and the player in question just does what he wants now. Is exactly what i wanted and works really well as he is very unpredictable. Was an inside forward but managed to get at least 10 assists from the byline getting outside the fullback.

Thks for the input.

I guess that if the player does what he wants, and that's my idea also, it's better to give this kind of training only to very good players. With good attributes for decisions and composure.

When a player is playing to his potential, according to his coach report, or his CA stars are matching his PA stars, would you carry on training him in a specialized role, or would you revert his playing/role back to his playing position and consider him "done"?

I hope that makes sense...

When a player is playing to his potential, according to his coach report, or his CA stars are matching his PA stars, would you carry on training him in a specialized role, or would you revert his playing/role back to his playing position and consider him "done"?

I hope that makes sense...

The Training regime governs the distribution of his CA points. For that reason I always train in the role I play him in if I am satisfied with where his attributes are. If you reverted to a generic position training, it might train some attributes you don't care about at the cost of losing something somewhere else. Keeping him on the role you want will ensure that at least the attributes as they stand remain relatively stable.

The Training regime governs the distribution of his CA points. For that reason I always train in the role I play him in if I am satisfied with where his attributes are. If you reverted to a generic position training, it might train some attributes you don't care about at the cost of losing something somewhere else. Keeping him on the role you want will ensure that at least the attributes as they stand remain relatively stable.

Awesome, thank you.

My earliest pre-season start date is 1st July, however CL-Qualification starts on 4th and my average fitness level at that time is around 65%.

I need to win because it is the only way to get some money but with that it seems impossible... What can I do? :(

My earliest pre-season start date is 1st July, however CL-Qualification starts on 4th and my average fitness level at that time is around 65%.

I need to win because it is the only way to get some money but with that it seems impossible... What can I do? :(

Unfortunately nothing. Match Fitness only improves by playing matches.

Pick your best team, make full use of subs in the second half for particularly tired players.

And remember that your opponents will be in the same boat as you with regards to fitness levels.

And remember that your opponents will be in the same boat as you with regards to fitness levels.

That's the thing, their players are all over 90% and fully fit which makes it not exactly easier...

What does the show onto foot OI actually do?

I ask because IRL, a right footed player facing directly forward will generally favour passing to his left. However, if I show him to his right, blocking off passing options to his left, then he'll be forced to pass to the right even if that is still likely a right footed pass. Effectively we are tilting his body position 45 degrees.

Alternatively if we are encouraging him to use his right foot more but not showing him onto a particular side, we could be encouraging more passes to his left.

I feel it's an important distinction as I like to encourage playmakers to pass away from dangerous wingers. Just not sure which setting achieves this!

I do also wonder if showing onto foot OI is affected by position. My assumption is showing a left winger onto his left would encourage more crosses (therefore to the right) but as above, showing a CM onto his left encourages passing to the left?

What does the show onto foot OI actually do?

I ask because IRL, a right footed player facing directly forward will generally favour passing to his left. However, if I show him to his right, blocking off passing options to his left, then he'll be forced to pass to the right even if that is still likely a right footed pass. Effectively we are tilting his body position 45 degrees.

Alternatively if we are encouraging him to use his right foot more but not showing him onto a particular side, we could be encouraging more passes to his left.

I feel it's an important distinction as I like to encourage playmakers to pass away from dangerous wingers. Just not sure which setting achieves this!

I do also wonder if showing onto foot OI is affected by position. My assumption is showing a left winger onto his left would encourage more crosses (therefore to the right) but as above, showing a CM onto his left encourages passing to the left?

The way I have observed it working is to show inside or outside and what you choose is based on your setup and the strengths of the players. So yes, if you showed a left winger onto his left foot, you'd be showing him outside basically- you'd break down to his left and force him towards his right side. You willprobably will see more crosses as a result. It can also be good to show onto the weaker foot to lessen the effectiveness of the passes. It doesn't always work, because it won't always be successful, but that is what I look at when using the OI.

How do I stop my central midfielders dropping back to the defensive line to try and win headers when the opposition hit it long? Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't and I'd rather they didn't at all because the defence can deal with long balls easily enough. The problem is that if they do drop back and my defence win the header, there's no midfield to head it to and it just gives the opposition the ball. I'm assuming it's based on how the opposition is set up but I'm playing a structured 442 so I wouldn't expect them to drop deep at all, but they still like to do it randomly.

How do I stop my central midfielders dropping back to the defensive line to try and win headers when the opposition hit it long? Sometimes they do it, sometimes they don't and I'd rather they didn't at all because the defence can deal with long balls easily enough. The problem is that if they do drop back and my defence win the header, there's no midfield to head it to and it just gives the opposition the ball. I'm assuming it's based on how the opposition is set up but I'm playing a structured 442 so I wouldn't expect them to drop deep at all, but they still like to do it randomly.

More than likely it will be situational, so any number of possible reasons. Your CM's role/duty; your defensive line; opposition pressure; ball is close enough for your CM to head it; poor decision making; and so on. Without specific examples it's impossible to say for sure - watch a match where this happens, use pause and rewind to look at different aspects.

Not sure if this is the right area for this.

1. We have the goals from corners/free kick stats, but is there any way (without watching a whole game) in the game setup to see how effective the throw in routines are for chances?

2. Trying to replicate the xmas tree formation from the tournament but having memory issues.

How would you line up Anderton/Mcmanaman.

Why do my defenders clear the ball when they have available team mates they can pass to? I have "play out of defense" TI turned on.

The player maybe is too far away (out of the passing range you set), the defender doesn't see it or he thinks it is a dangerous passing option.

How do you predict Antonio Conte to lineup Chelsea next season? 4-2-4 as he used at Bari, 3-5-2 as in Juventus to fit Pirlo's playmaking skills.

Flexible seems to be Conte's style of play they say...

Any ideas/inputs on this?

#4-4-2 #4-3-3 #3-5-2 wing-backs #3-4-3 "Italy"wing-backs

cfc-conte-e1461223146627.jpg?w=620&h=343&crop=1

(Manchester United will sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic and could complete deal before Euro 2016 - Sky sources)

An interesting topic, however this isn't really a discussion thread ;).

If you'd like to start your own thread then by all means do so, however please put together your own thoughts into a tactical system first (and see how it plays) before simply asking others what they think. There are also plenty of sites you can look up to see how different teams and managers actually play in real life (check the resources and links sticky at the top of this forum) to help you build your system.

How do you predict Antonio Conte to lineup Chelsea next season? 4-2-4 as he used at Bari, 3-5-2 as in Juventus to fit Pirlo's playmaking skills.

Flexible seems to be Conte's style of play they say...

Any ideas/inputs on this?

#4-4-2 #4-3-3 #3-5-2 wing-backs #3-4-3 "Italy"wing-backs

How can you leave Willian out? He was there best player this season.

I'd expect more of a 433 / 541 type formation depending on if he wants 2 or 3 CBs. Hazard starting wide but coming inside allowing WB to overlap (Rahman). Willian won't come inside as much so more defensive FB behind him.

Herne79 is right though, forgot what topic this was.

Hey all quick question, Iv got Lukaku playing as CF/A he scored 50 goals last season with a AMC/a and 2 IF/s behind him, his goalscorings wonderful but the CF has more risky passes selected by default and iv tried to work on his passing but its still only 11-12 whats the closest role to his without the risky passes option?

Also i trained him to shoot with power would training him to place shots as well be beneficial at all?

Hey all quick question, Iv got Lukaku playing as CF/A he scored 50 goals last season with a AMC/a and 2 IF/s behind him, his goalscorings wonderful but the CF has more risky passes selected by default and iv tried to work on his passing but its still only 11-12 whats the closest role to his without the risky passes option?

Also i trained him to shoot with power would training him to place shots as well be beneficial at all?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

He got you 50 goals last season, so why change anything?

Hello guys, I know this is not the right thread but I've just bought fm 16 and I'm having problems with in match lag and highlights delay..... Please can you address me to any solutions? Thanks

As you said, it isn't the right thread.

Report your issue here, assuming you're on PC. http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/520-Crashes-Launch-and-Technical-Issues-on-PC

What can I do to get familiarity of the tactic with my national team, it always looks poor.

It's because there isn't much time with the players. Before a tournament, when you have them for longer is the best time.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

He got you 50 goals last season, so why change anything?

I feel he gives the ball away too much in possesion, whereas Ibrahimovic plays beautiful balls to the Ifs. Yeah Lukaku and Chelseas Hazard are killing the prem on my save, Bellerin didnt even get a look in for player of the year for once

I feel he gives the ball away too much in possesion, whereas Ibrahimovic plays beautiful balls to the Ifs. Yeah Lukaku and Chelseas Hazard are killing the prem on my save, Bellerin didnt even get a look in for player of the year for once

The Advanced Forward might be what you are looking for here- he won't roam or drop deep so much, but his passing is simpler.

Hi,

A couple of stupid questions:

1) When should i choose a FB or a WB?

I tend to choose a FB when ahead of him i have a player that also remains wide, and a WB when ahead of him i have a player that cuts inside.

I choose this because i believe the WB have more creativity so it's a better choice if he doesn't have anyone to play with.

2) The instruction "move into channels" can be given for a lone forward in a support role? For example a DLF(s) or a CF(s) that plays with two IF one the sides?

I ask this because i don't quite know if this instruction will go against the "drop deep" movement that the player should have in that role.

3) I was reading the brilliant document, by THOG, Lines and Diamonds, and about the flexible team shape he says:

"The tactical organisation of a flexible system is based on arranging players into three units. Defend duty players are expected to stay far back. This means defenders will look to create much more depth behind the midfield, central midfielders will look to stay compact with the defence, and the forwards and wide midfielders will look to invite overlap from deeper players"

Does this mean that a flexible team shape it's the better choice for a tactic that wants the FB/WB always overlapping the more advanced wide player?

Thks!