Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How to Post a Screenshot

• While in FM, press the 'Prt Sc' button (usually next to F12 on your keyboard).
  • Open an image editing program such as Paint and paste the image
  • Save the file as a JPEG
  • Upload the image to an image hosting website such as Photobucket or Imageshack
  • Post the direct Url to the image here.

I would like some Assistant feedback question help

"player is getting skinned all too often"

What do i do to change this, im not sure i understand its meaning, what can i change to stop my player being skinned.

"player could be doing alot more today"

Again what do i need to change in this situation to make a player "do more"

Thanks

I would like some Assistant feedback question help

"player is getting skinned all too often"

What do i do to change this, im not sure i understand its meaning, what can i change to stop my player being skinned.

Basically means that he's being outpaced by his opponent. I would make sure he wasn't marking tight to give him some slack and be careful when closing down.

"player could be doing alot more today"

Again what do i need to change in this situation to make a player "do more"

Thanks

Basically says what it means. Look at his stats and see what he's not doing and then make adjustments to try and get him more involved.

Could mean changing anything depending on his position and what you expect from him for example; forward runs, mentality, his position, etc

Couple questions:

I have Gomes in goal and he spills shots (like RL), but they bounce away from him sometimes 12-15yards. Is that normal or is there anything I can do about it? I've given up several goals and FKs from it.

Second, I have Pavlyuchenko and Huntelaar playing up top. Pav has been great netting 8 goals through Oct and linking very well with the MF. For some reason, I can't get Huntelaar to link up with Pav. I've followed TTF in trying to get them to link better, but when they do, KJH immediately gives up possession. Any tips on how to play him?

wwfan - Whats FMB like? I've got an account over there, but don't think I've actually posted. Whats the community like, is it active, and is it worth me checking back on a regular basis?

It's mature, which means it has less posts per member than some other fan sites, but the posts tend to be somewhat longer. It's probably the only site that offers tactical discussion in greater detail than here, and a lot of the best stuff gets posted on both sites. It's also home to the only regular fan-driven podcast and its mini FML equivalent, which is the officially sanctioned FML Community podcast. It also has a thriving LLaMa section, although LLaMa membership prohibits the viewing of the tactical forums.

I got a stoopid question. It's stoopid coz I've seen it answered before, but I'm unable to find it again with the forum search.

Which are the key attributes for World Class Assistant Manager ?

Again, sorry, I know this has been asked before, but I just can't "google" it.

Thanks in advance !

I got a stoopid question. It's stoopid coz I've seen it answered before, but I'm unable to find it again with the forum search.

Which are the key attributes for World Class Assistant Manager ?

Again, sorry, I know this has been asked before, but I just can't "google" it.

Thanks in advance !

depends what you need him for, motivation and man management if you want him for team talks,

judging PCA and PPA if you want to trust whether he thinks people are good signings or not

and tactical knowledge (not coaching) if you want him to help in matches

finally, coaching attributes if you want him to be a coach too, especially uselful if you are limited on your number of coaches

Play a short passing, defensive, slow game, and you'll see possession often hit 65% in a game. Its very difficult to play attacking, fast paced football and have a lot of possession. If you look at real life stats, teams like Man U and Arsenal, don't have a bucket load of possession. I'm not saying they never dominate possession, but its rarely 60%+ in their favor.

|You've just got to think how you would like to play. If you want to dominate possession, and have slow, low scoring games, then set your team and tactics up for that.|

does anyone know how to get the 'hide players' option back on filters? mine has disappeared and been replaced with 'show players' which has 2 options - 'all schedules' or 'selected schedules'. this happened before on fm08 and i sorted it but cant remember how. it seems to have coincided with me registering my european sqaud. any ideas?

I tried to change the scout who scouts the opposition (trying to identify playmakers before games - accurately!) but I can only seem to assign this function to one of the scouts.

I have tried first removing the assignment so that I am not asking 2 scouts to do the same job.

Any ideas how I can change this?

I'm having serious problems dealing with crosses. My center backs and full backs all generally have high jumping and heading attributes but they deal very poorly with incoming crosses and headers from the opposing team. How on earth can I deal with this?

Also, I have serious problems with closing down. when I have it a few notches past the middle, they close down in a fashion that leaves huge gaps in my defensive line, but one notch lower than that they stand there not even attempting to tackle the man on the ball, even if he's right in my penalty box. what the hell!?

@crosses: try to limt their crosses by show on weaker foot or closing down

@closing down: give more closing down to attack-minded players and less to centre backs to disturb the opponent's passing before they advance too close before your goal

Straight-forward..

PA?

CA?

During the January transfer window I get around 3/4 of my starting 11 attracting attention from other clubs.. And eventually they will get concerned about me not giving them a chance to leave. Furthermore, how long does it takes for a club to get bought-over. Stupid Mike Ashley has been on talks right after the first transfer window ends. I have currently missed the January transfer window and it hasn't end yet. @$##%^&!!!

Stupid Question - On the tactics screen each player has a Green dot next to them, what does this mean?

Its how well they play in that position. Bright green being the best and green being acceptable. You don't want players to be yellow or orange unless you have to and even then only for a limited time, like someone gets injured and thats all you have to replace them. You never want the red dot however.

MM

Heres MY stupid question for the day.

On my last save I used to get scouting reports before each game on the other team.

Since I started a new game with a much larger database and all nations and leagues playable. I dont get these scouting reports anymore. Where is the option to get the scout to do this for me.

MM

Heres MY stupid question for the day.

On my last save I used to get scouting reports before each game on the other team.

Since I started a new game with a much larger database and all nations and leagues playable. I dont get these scouting reports anymore. Where is the option to get the scout to do this for me.

MM

go the scouting section down the left hand side once youve done that go on scouting assignments then click add and choose the next opposition option.

Could someone give me a quick run down on pitch sizes and the tactical changes/approaches required for each?

At the start of my season playing as Man Utd I get the chance to choose a pitch size from a selection of 3: Small, Standard and Large. (Small being the shortest and narrowest, Large being the longest and widest). Before an away match, when my scout report tells me that an opponents pitch is long for example, am I to assume that the pitch is also wide - or do long-narrow, short-wide pitches exist in the game?

Having read the latest iteration of TT&F I understand that to maintain a tight defence it is best to play narrow on a wide pitch. For pitch lengths, assuming a standard mentality range tactic, does anyone play a deep(er) defensive line on long pitches and high(er) defensive line on short pitches? If so, how many notches (as a guide) can I raise or lower my defensive line before it becomes unattached from my tactic?

Thanks...

My stupid question. Is it just my imagination or does swapping players fatique them more during a game? I usually have this on my wingers and I notice them sprinting across the pitch on occasions to swap. Does this have an effect?

Before the question I inform you that I have the italian version of FM 2009, so I don't know the words used for the settings "regista" and "fulcro del gioco".

In tactic screen, what happens if I use playmaker and/or pivot setting while selected players are not in the field (due to injury, substitution or a technical decision)? Does the game choose a player from the eleven in the field or the option, though selected, is not applied?

Im still getting slaughtered in this game here some stupid questions that might help me.

1) I scouted a player I could really use. His salary was 100 K US. But he had a release clause at 23 million. Does that mean that I would need 23 million plus in my transfer budget?

2) Does giving a "first team sub" player who is not getting any playing time, a game or two in the reserves, hurt his moral or just up his game?

3) If a great player is struggling with terrible form 5.3, 5.6 etc. Is it a good idea to send him to the reserve team to get his confidence back? Or does that just hurt his confidence because you took him off first team.

Im still getting slaughtered in this game here some stupid questions that might help me.

1) I scouted a player I could really use. His salary was 100 K US. But he had a release clause at 23 million. Does that mean that I would need 23 million plus in my transfer budget?

2) Does giving a "first team sub" player who is not getting any playing time, a game or two in the reserves, hurt his moral or just up his game?

3) If a great player is struggling with terrible form 5.3, 5.6 etc. Is it a good idea to send him to the reserve team to get his confidence back? Or does that just hurt his confidence because you took him off first team.

1) The minimum release clause means if you offer that much the club will be forced to let you negotiate with the player (assuming he would want to join you that is...)

2 & 3) Not sure. Think it depends on the type of player, their personality etc

Few questions from a noob!

1) How do the arrows tie in with Forward Runs? As in, would setting Forward Runs to high require an arrow to work well or at all? I notice that sometimes the arrows disappear, which I'm guessing is due to when I lower certain players' forward runs.

2) For central defenders, why do they have backward tracking arrows? That may sound stupid, but I would have thought tracking back would be part pf their standard duties anyway.

3) I'm playing with Arsenal, and want Van Persie as my FCd. His positions show he's not good in the classic AMC position (directly behind the striker), so is putting him in one of the two striker positions with a backward arrow equivalent/the best option?

4) Finally, could someone point me in the direction of a noobs guide to a set pieces set up? I don't quite know how best to utilise my men for walls, who should be on the post etc.

Cheers. :)

Few questions from a noob!

1) How do the arrows tie in with Forward Runs? As in, would setting Forward Runs to high require an arrow to work well or at all? I notice that sometimes the arrows disappear, which I'm guessing is due to when I lower certain players' forward runs.

2) For central defenders, why do they have backward tracking arrows? That may sound stupid, but I would have thought tracking back would be part pf their standard duties anyway.

3) I'm playing with Arsenal, and want Van Persie as my FCd. His positions show he's not good in the classic AMC position (directly behind the striker), so is putting him in one of the two striker positions with a backward arrow equivalent/the best option?

4) Finally, could someone point me in the direction of a noobs guide to a set pieces set up? I don't quite know how best to utilise my men for walls, who should be on the post etc.

Cheers. :)

1) Arrows are now just a visual indication of whether forward runs are rare/mixed/often. A forward arrow means often, although this is not displayed for strikers. No arrow means mixed, and a back arrow means rare. Changing the arrows directly alters the forward runs setting and vice versa

2) The back arrow just means they are set to forward runs rarely

3) Sounds sensible. A lot of people have difficulty getting the FCd position to work well though, so be prepared to experiment with his settings

4) Don't know this one I'm afraid...