Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Move the players into different position slots - so CMR into an AM slot, CML into a DM slot - and then into the now vacant position - AM into CML, DM into CMR.

This works because instead of swapping players into different roles, the game treats it as swapping instructions into different positions.

Perfect solution thank you :cool: it worked

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that a great many of the big names of FM will never get signed for me since I have this major thing about trying to get all my players to have Determination 15+. So am I doing myself a disservice here since I'm always missing out on some of the best attributed players because their determination just doesn't measure up?

I don't think you need a full team of 15+ determination at all, especially at the higher level where you have better technical players. I've had a player with determination 5 be a star of my team simply because there were enough determined players around him and he had excellent attributes in other areas. Balance is the key.

I've always found that determination is key for getting you out of a hole though. My determination 10 star is dreadful when I'm chasing a game with 10 mins to go he'll just crumble and try and win the game by himself. If you are rarely in that situation then I suppose it is less important.

Whilst it's debateable whether determination actually is important for development I've always found that determined players develop better - again, if you were buying when they are already developed then it is less of an issue.

I'm a big determination junkie and got shot down many years ago for being so. Ha, little did they (or me!) know it's true importance!

So I'm okay doing things the way I am and them breaking my "rule" for one of those special players that ticks every box and that I absolutely need to complete my team?

It's kinda terrible when I'm looking through players interested in me and if I take the big names with 10-13 determination that I won't touch out of the equation I'm not left with much outside of all the U-21s.

Of course. 10-13 determination is hardly a sign of a mental midget anyway. As I said, someone with even much lower determination can succeed if the players around him don't share the same deficiencies. Determination is most important in lower leagues where it can substitute for skill, of which there is very little on offer anyway. On the highest level I'm pretty sure you're better off if you look for overall balance.

Whilst it's debateable whether determination actually is important for development I've always found that determined players develop better - again, if you were buying when they are already developed then it is less of an issue.

I agree. determination is key for loaning out players, wich is the best way for ypungsters to gain experience. Highly determined players play better and get picked more in the match squad at mu feeder clubs. So determination is important to get experience while hidden mental attributes are important to gain ability in training.

So, my coaches suggest to me what individual focus a player should have in training, and often these are not key attributes for his best role. So I'm wondering, how much do non-key attributes actually matter? Is it ever better to raise a non-key attribute instead of a key attribute?

So, my coaches suggest to me what individual focus a player should have in training, and often these are not key attributes for his best role. So I'm wondering, how much do non-key attributes actually matter? Is it ever better to raise a non-key attribute instead of a key attribute?

Yes, of course. Without looking I'd guess that pace probably isn't key for a central defender but if you wanted to play a high line and/or liked quick defenders then you might want to focus on Quickness to get that up.

You've got to look at the player and decide what would help him do his job better (and what will help him do it better in the future, or a different job better in the future), most of the time this will match up with the key attributes but not always. Depends on what you like in a player. You might decide your creative striker doesn't need to be that good at finishing despite finishing undoubtedly being key for a striker.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling to get the best out of my forwards. I'm playing as Bolton and three quarters of the way through my first season, standing a creditable 7th in the table. But i've noticed the goals have dried up. I'm looking at putting more emphasis on finishing training with my forwards, but could anyone advise me on what i need to focus on individually. For instance, i've noticed that Marvin Sordell has a finishing rating of 14 but has a composure rating of 11. Do these two go hand in hand, and if so, which is the more important attribute? Purely on an individual training basis. Many thanks in advance.

dunno, tried to figurer this out yesterday but couldn't... for the moment i HATE the new training thing and there is absolutely no explanation about it.... could someone check if the in game manual is now live? yesterday it was still showing theone from FM12 but according to SI the FM13 manual had to be uploaded today.... Thanks

i have a fm12 question,i'm in september first season(taking a break from my fm11 save)and i cant seem to ask players to train prefered moves?Am i looking in the right place(player chat)?Or has it been moved somewhere else?Or is this function only available at certain times of the season?

In fm11 in the private chat you could always see the prefered move function but it would be greyed out sometimes.

i have a fm12 question,i'm in september first season(taking a break from my fm11 save)and i cant seem to ask players to train prefered moves?Am i looking in the right place(player chat)?Or has it been moved somewhere else?Or is this function only available at certain times of the season?

In fm11 in the private chat you could always see the prefered move function but it would be greyed out sometimes.

An interesting thing between the two versions is that 11 has you asking the player to learn a new PPM while in 12 you're asking one of your coaches to teach him. This means your players don't have a chance at refusing to learn/unlearn PPMs.

Right click on player > Interaction > Start Preferred Move Training > Pick your coach and then pick your PPM.

An interesting thing between the two versions is that 11 has you asking the player to learn a new PPM while in 12 you're asking one of your coaches to teach him. This means your players don't have a chance at refusing to learn/unlearn PPMs.

Right click on player > Interaction > Start Preferred Move Training > Pick your coach and then pick your PPM.

i thank you sir

From my understanding of tactics and to get better away results, we look at our opponents pitch size before we play them.

So, if they have a LONG pitch, is it a good idea to push up and/or set passing to direct perhaps?

NARROW pitch - play wide to get/use more space?

WIDE pitch - play narrow and hold defensive shape?

Would you agree in principle, all things being equal of course?

This is less me asking a stupid question and more asking for an opinion, but what is the exact purpose of the LCM and RCM in a 4-3-1-2 formation? It's a formation I want to make more use of, but I'm never quite sure what role those positions should be playing.

I had a successful 4-3-1-2 in FM12 and had the outside CMs as box to box players, or sometimes at home one box to box and the other advanced playmaker (attack). The central MC was centre midfielder (defend) and the AMC was attacking midfielder (support). That created a rough diamond shape, with the outer two players acting as 'shuttlers' or, in the variant, one of them aiming to defend less but score and assist more.

Hmm I encounter a problem atm that I never before encountered in FM.

My team causes a lot of penalties from corners.

Basically what happens is that the opposition got a corner and then one of my players pushes another player and it's penalty.

I conceded 7 of these so far this season but I have no idea why.

Non of my players has more then normal tackling and yet this happens way too often.

Any idea what could cause this?

From my understanding of tactics and to get better away results, we look at our opponents pitch size before we play them.

So, if they have a LONG pitch, is it a good idea to push up and/or set passing to direct perhaps?

NARROW pitch - play wide to get/use more space?

WIDE pitch - play narrow and hold defensive shape?

Would you agree in principle, all things being equal of course?

Try starting a new thread for this one, its more than a simple question!! And there hasn't been a decent thread on it for a while.

It depends on what you want to achieve. With quick defenders and an organised defence pushing up on a long pitch could work but with slow defenders it would be a disaster as you're leaving a huge gap in behind for a quick striker to exploit (even with quick defenders it could be problematic but you have to weigh up whether the risk is worth it, and it might well be).

Similarly, if you're a tight, counter attacking team you might want to stay narrow on a narrow pitch to make yourself even harder to beat. Or you might want to play wider to try and make the pitch as big as possible.

In all honesty I don't pay that much attention to it but I'll concede that I probably should. I'd look at it more as something to consider rather than something to build your tactical plans around. Far more important is what team you put out and what team you think they'll put out.

This is less me asking a stupid question and more asking for an opinion, but what is the exact purpose of the LCM and RCM in a 4-3-1-2 formation? It's a formation I want to make more use of, but I'm never quite sure what role those positions should be playing.

It's up to you. Lots of different options.

I use them both as box-to-box players (although standard CM would work) which I think is the traditional Italian way with this formation. You have creativity in the middle, at CM and most importantly at AMC, flanked by 2 very hard working pitbulls who have a good all-round game.

But other configurations can work well too. Try searching for threads on the 4312, there are some really good ones kicking around. Look for one by Crouchaldinho, there's about 5 pages of it and its packed with info (both real-life and FM).

Just seen that Bluebeard already commented on this - glad to agree!

Hmm I encounter a problem atm that I never before encountered in FM.

My team causes a lot of penalties from corners.

Basically what happens is that the opposition got a corner and then one of my players pushes another player and it's penalty.

I conceded 7 of these so far this season but I have no idea why.

Non of my players has more then normal tackling and yet this happens way too often.

Any idea what could cause this?

If it's FM13 report it as a potential bug (although I think it's just coincidence but with a beta it could be something).

What sort of players are you using? Aggressive, poor decision-making, poor pressure stat maybe.

Whats your time wasting and tempo? If TW is low and tempo is high your players may just be over-enthusiastic to get the ball.

I have to say I've never heard of this one either so it's probably coincidence. How many games have you played? What level are you at?

If it's FM13 report it as a potential bug (although I think it's just coincidence but with a beta it could be something).

What sort of players are you using? Aggressive, poor decision-making, poor pressure stat maybe.

Whats your time wasting and tempo? If TW is low and tempo is high your players may just be over-enthusiastic to get the ball.

I have to say I've never heard of this one either so it's probably coincidence. How many games have you played? What level are you at?

Yeah Idk like I said never before did I have such problems but it's apparent that it's almost always the same two or three players causing the penalties.

Usually it's either Smalling or Jones and on Occasions M'Vila who is causing this, so I guess it's got something to do with their stats.

I'll keep an close I on it this season and see how it goes.

Interesting. This season so far Smalling had 1 league start and 1 carling cup start for me and caused a penalty in both games.

I have no idea why though.

He is neither overly aggressive (14) nor has he especially bad concentration (14) or composure (14), his tackling (14) isn't really good but not so bad that it would cause him to mistime it so badly to cause a penalty every game.

Honestly I have no idea why this is happening.

Interesting. This season so far Smalling had 1 league start and 1 carling cup start for me and caused a penalty in both games.

I have no idea why though.

He is neither overly aggressive (14) nor has he especially bad concentration (14) or composure (14), his tackling (14) isn't really good but not so bad that it would cause him to mistime it so badly to cause a penalty every game.

Honestly I have no idea why this is happening.

Have you watched the clips back to see why it happens and if the challenges are the same kind? He is quite a brave player 16 iirc and his other attributes are good too so he might be been over agressive in his challenges and not pulling out etc

The space is made by the fact you've got a D-A split in midfield and a A-S in attack. Changing the CM to Support should tighten the space there. For the attack I'd change the RW to Support and then the TM to Attack.

okay I'll try,

what about the central defenders the gap between them also exploited by a through ball or a pacey striker all the time but this is 21st game of the league only conceded 4 :) but it is disturbing me a lot.

okay I'll try,

what about the central defenders the gap between them also exploited by a through ball or a pacey striker all the time but this is 21st game of the league only conceded 4 :) but it is disturbing me a lot.

You want the central defence to have some type of split unless you're playing with an offside trap otherwise once an attacker beats the first man, he's also beaten the second. I wouldn't worry about it too much since it isn't costing you goals.

okay I'll try,

What's your normal width setting? And the wide play for your DL/DR and AML/AMR? What was your possession in that shot?

It's maybe something to do with both being on a stopper duty, normally you'd go Def/Def or Stopper/Cover. See if Def/Def closes the gap. Probably more to do with something else (related to my earlier questions) though.

What's your normal width setting? And the wide play for your DL/DR and AML/AMR? What was your possession in that shot?

It's maybe something to do with both being on a stopper duty, normally you'd go Def/Def or Stopper/Cover. See if Def/Def closes the gap. Probably more to do with something else (related to my earlier questions) though.

He's on Stopper/Stopper? I must have missed that.

Two X's are stopper/stopper aren't they? I always use Def/Def and haven't played for a while!

Unless I'm mistaken I'm guessing stoppers are more aggressive and chase harder which could cause the gap as the opponents move about. Although it could also be that he's playing very wide with FB's that tuck in and had loads of possession so the heatmap is more influenced by attacking positions.

I've honestly never used stoppers since the TC came into force (Def/Def for me too) but I think you're right. I'm sure that probably changes the playing style. Perhaps it's making a double-pivot in defence and so the defenders are choosing who goes deeper than the other depending on the opposition?

sorry to being late yes Two X's are stopper/stopper so I changed DCR side player to Cover with less mentality and less closing down, in order to cover the area so far so good it seems okay. both DC's are slow against striker in this screenshot so my normal width is 5 very very deep.

Wide play DL/DR = both Normal

Wide play AML/AMR = both Cut Inside

image.jpg

image.jpg

Using 1 stopper and 1 cover is only good against lone striker formations. Against 2 striker formations or a lone striker and a AMC they'll struggle. You see, a stopper and cover don't play inline with each other instead they are staggered. Meaning a poacher, striker who drops deep, or a deep running AMC will exploit the gap between both centrebacks as neither will pick them up properly.

Using 1 stopper and 1 cover is only good against lone striker formations. Against 2 striker formations or a lone striker and a AMC they'll struggle. You see, a stopper and cover don't play inline with each other instead they are staggered. Meaning a poacher, striker who drops deep, or a deep running AMC will exploit the gap between both centrebacks as neither will pick them up properly.

yes I see you're absolutely right about 1 stopper and 1 cover. What about horizontal gaps between 2 strikers and 2 central midfielders above screenshots? What do you suggest?

yes I see you're absolutely right about 1 stopper and 1 cover. What about horizontal gaps between 2 strikers and 2 central midfielders above screenshots? What do you suggest?

That's a mentality issue which stems from the roles you've given the players. Simple soloution if you want them to play moreinline would be give simliar roles or drop mentality of the players.

Is this mainly a problem with the match engine? The descriptions seem to indicate it would work against 2 strikers where the stopper closes down the first one in, and the cover sweeps up the trailing man if goes past the stopper. Not that I don't believe you, just curious if the stopper/cover is working as it should or if its like 3 at the back where the engine doesn't deal with it well.

Is this mainly a problem with the match engine? The descriptions seem to indicate it would work against 2 strikers where the stopper closes down the first one in, and the cover sweeps up the trailing man if goes past the stopper. Not that I don't believe you, just curious if the stopper/cover is working as it should or if its like 3 at the back where the engine doesn't deal with it well.

No it works as intended. The problem is because they don't play inline with each other meaning as soon as one striker or AMC drops off there is a hole between the centrebacks that is easy to exploit. If you think about it logically, 1 defender steps up to try and deal with an attack but the 2nd attacker is already playing in the hole between the centrebacks. This means a little throughball, pass, or even a little bit of skill will put you in trouble and be risky as it'll be 1v1 at the back.

Playing a stopper and cover gives you 2 different options as a centreback pairing but you increase the risk greatly of them been pulled apart, pulled out of position. Any mistake by them and it can be very costly. A stopper will be the big strong kind who is physical and heads the ball away etc. The cover will try and stop through balls or pick up any loose balls. But its a big risk because a lot of the time they get draged out of position or the gap between them in quite big for the covering defender to cover.

whats the most realistic ( and efficient enough) way to play iniesta-xavi-busquets? need PI and role info.

I'm thinking apls-dlps-dms but my problem is that xavi doesnt stay irl so deep, he's right in front of the box spraying passes and iniesta is a tad more offensive. Maybe classic mode is better?

fluid,short,control.