Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Is there a way to train up a player's aggression?

2. All other things being equal: when faced with a tricky AMC who thrives in the space between midfield and defence and makes his team tick, would you be better served by pushing up the defence to keep it closer to the midfield and leave the area congested, or rather to drop deeper and not allow him to make any passes in behind? What should one look at to make such a decision, ideally?

hey guys will be my last question but do need help on my system

its a defensive 4-1-4-1

So far i have

GK - D

FB - S CD - C CD - D FB - D

HB - D

Winger - A BTB - S AP - A WM - S

DF - S

some quick questions.

should my fb defend be more attacking? hopefully in defense it becomes a back five when the half back drops in

should my WM be maybe a defensive winger? how would this affect things? as i still want to have a bit of go forward but i want that side to protect the AP.

is AP a good chioce or maybe a CM on attack would be better. he needs to be getting forward alot and be main threat.

and lasty the DF should i have him on defend to maybe drop back and pressure midfield instead of CD for the other team? dont want hinm to iosoloated.

hey guys will be my last question but do need help on my system

its a defensive 4-1-4-1

So far i have

GK - D

FB - S CD - C CD - D FB - D

HB - D

Winger - A BTB - S AP - A WM - S

DF - S

some quick questions.

should my fb defend be more attacking? hopefully in defense it becomes a back five when the half back drops in

should my WM be maybe a defensive winger? how would this affect things? as i still want to have a bit of go forward but i want that side to protect the AP.

is AP a good chioce or maybe a CM on attack would be better. he needs to be getting forward alot and be main threat.

and lasty the DF should i have him on defend to maybe drop back and pressure midfield instead of CD for the other team? dont want hinm to iosoloated.

Okay, look, this is really beyond a "stupid question" thread topic now. If you want this much detail in answer, you need a dedicated thread to it. BUT!!! Before you do that, why not take your tactic out for a spin in the game and see how it does. You can answer all of your own questions in a few short practice matches in a test save. Watch your defenders for a good while and see what they do. Then, watch your midfield, then your striker, etc. This is the only way to learn. If you then get stuck, it's worth a thread to figure how and why it is going wrong. But, really, play some matches and watch your team first.

1. Is there a way to train up a player's aggression?

2. All other things being equal: when faced with a tricky AMC who thrives in the space between midfield and defence and makes his team tick, would you be better served by pushing up the defence to keep it closer to the midfield and leave the area congested, or rather to drop deeper and not allow him to make any passes in behind? What should one look at to make such a decision, ideally?

Would also be interested in a response to 2.

I think there are a few variables in this , but please don't take my word for what I'm about to say you're better off listening to Cleon or anyone else.

What I tend to do : So if the opposition have 2 up front I'd drop the defence back or if they have one striker who's playing role where they are on the shoulders of the defenders (or if the strikers are quite quick with good anticipation) , but if they have striker(s) who are more of a DLF S , F9 or just something deep I like to push the defenders up to try and restrict that space. If you are still having trouble , again depending on the shape of either team , maybe put one of your CM or a DM to man mark him just to try and get him out of the game.

I’m still a tiny bit confused as to a tactic’s shape and its transition (from defense to attack). Would it make sense to say your defensive shape would be a default formation set, while the transition from defense to attack would be based on the players roles/duties?

Also, when you say your MC(d) would fall back deeper during the defensive transition, would they be slighly higher than the usual DMC? I’m curious if its better to have MC(d) or a DMC to nullify the oppositions AMC formations.

so if i went control what does that do does anyone actually have a list like does it reduce tempo, create shorter passing etc?

This has been answered several times in several threads, including this one - I'd be astonished if you've missed it.

At a very high level:

More defensive Mentalities play the ball more directly from the back, and shorter up front. They are lower tempo, employ a deeper and narrow defensive shape. Due to this, closing down is less evident in these systems on default.

The opposite applies when you go more attacking. You play shorter at the back and more direct up front. Tempo is high, your defensive line is pushed up (so Closing Down increases) and the team is less narrow in defence.

Standard is basically neutral.

I’m still a tiny bit confused as to a tactic’s shape and its transition (from defense to attack). Would it make sense to say your defensive shape would be a default formation set, while the transition from defense to attack would be based on the players roles/duties?

Yes, that is a good way to view it.

Also, when you say your MC(d) would fall back deeper during the defensive transition, would they be slighly higher than the usual DMC? I’m curious if its better to have MC(d) or a DMC to nullify the oppositions AMC formations.

It depends on the players' interpretation of the Role / Duty used, the Team Shape, and the DM Role / Duty being compared to. A CM (D) is a very effective way of covering the space between the DC and MC lines in defensive phases, but it arguably does not do as good a job of screening that area when you are attacking. As ever, let your eyes be the judge.

Yes, that is a good way to view it.

It depends on the players' interpretation of the Role / Duty used, the Team Shape, and the DM Role / Duty being compared to. A CM (D) is a very effective way of covering the space between the DC and MC lines in defensive phases, but it arguably does not do as good a job of screening that area when you are attacking. As ever, let your eyes be the judge.

When you say player's interpretation, do you mean their attributes combined with Role/Duty for them to execute the instructions? Or me as in the manager?

Thanks!

When you say player's interpretation, do you mean their attributes combined with Role/Duty for them to execute the instructions? Or me as in the manager?

Thanks!

I mean how their attributes combine to interpret the Role / Duty, plus any Player Instructions you layer on to make that Role / Duty vary from its default settings.

If I was to give 3 players different Duties would 3 playmakers still be overkill? I ask as I kinda have the players to fit the roles perfectly but am just weary of having too many playmakers in the team. The formation being:

------------------F9 (S)------------------

--------------SS (A)---APM(A)-------------

--------------RPM(S)---DLP(D)-------------

WB (S)------------------------------CWB(A)

---------CB (S)---BPD©---CB (S)---------

------------------GK (D)------------------

If I was to give 3 players different Duties would 3 playmakers still be overkill? I ask as I kinda have the players to fit the roles perfectly but am just weary of having too many playmakers in the team. The formation being:

------------------F9 (S)------------------

--------------SS (A)---APM(A)-------------

--------------RPM(S)---DLP(D)-------------

------------------GK (D)------------------

You're asking the wrong question imo. Instead you should be thinking of how all those roles fit together and work. Sometimes 1 playmaker can be overkill sometimes 5 might be needed. There is no right or wrong answer, it all depends on what you are creating, why and how the roles all work together to bring you the end product that you are creating.

You're asking the wrong question imo. Instead you should be thinking of how all those roles fit together and work. Sometimes 1 playmaker can be overkill sometimes 5 might be needed. There is no right or wrong answer, it all depends on what you are creating, why and how the roles all work together to bring you the end product that you are creating.

I'm trying to play a possession based tactic, one where there is a lot of movement so players always have a pass on. I do want the players to try win the ball back quickly when the ball is lost but this is an after thought as I know it kind of contradicts the player roles, in my mind I would need more combative roles in the middle to implement a pressing game successfully.

I know it's the wrong way to think of it but I'm trying to fit the players I have, with their favored roles into a system.

I've got the team defending really well, 1st season promoted into the Prem drawing the first 3 games but not scoring many using this setup:

------------------PC (A)------------------

-------------SS (A)----APM(S)-------------

-------------CM (S)----DLP(D)-------------

------------------GK( D)------------------

The CM (S) was a APM(S) last year so I'm wanting to move him back to a similar role, as he was successful there, and want to try adjusting the APM's duty to attacking with the PC(A) moving to a F9(S). I find the Poacher is a bit too static for my liking. The new tactic which I posted before:

Mentality: Counter

Shape: Structured

TI's:

Retain Possesion

Shorter Passing

Pass Into Space

Work Ball Into Box

Play Out Of Defense

Close Down More

PI's:

GK (D) - Pass it Shorter, Distribute To Centre Backs, Roll It Out

APM(A) - Move Into Channels

SS (A) - Roam from Position, Run Wide With Ball

I'm trying to get the SS(A) to move wide with the ball to make up for the less attacking WB(S).

Does key passes tell anything about how many chances a player or team is creating? I have Huddlestone who already send 51 key passes after 9 games and he is beating players such as Mata, van Persie by +20. Yet I don't see my team creating a lot of clear cut chances or even half chances?

So how reliable are scouting / assistent information about player potential, I'm not being attached to Ability scores too much - i prefer much more to evaluate player by myself by his attributes but potential is one that bothers me. Should I really consider not buying/not playing some awesome young lad (good attributes for his age) only because his potential is low-rated? I'm saying about club where I have 13-14 Judging Potential staff.

So how reliable are scouting / assistent information about player potential, I'm not being attached to Ability scores too much - i prefer much more to evaluate player by myself by his attributes but potential is one that bothers me. Should I really consider not buying/not playing some awesome young lad (good attributes for his age) only because his potential is low-rated? I'm saying about club where I have 13-14 Judging Potential staff.

I think that depends on the scout / assistent own attributes, if you have staff with a few stars they'r assessment is less reliable.

Why would the training stars impact how a scout/assistant judges a player? Sorry that sounds like either your not saying what you mean to, or your just plain wrong. Its about judging PA attribute.

Dusk horizon - I would go with getting as many different opinions on the player as possible. 13/14 is ok if your around League one or even bottom half championship (or equivalent in other countries) but if at the top level should have better scouts.

I have a player out on loan with a clause in that he can be recalled from loan. This option is not showing anywhere and I'm incredibly confused. Is this a possible bug, or is there some other explanation?

Serie A, if it makes a difference.

Why would the training stars impact how a scout/assistant judges a player? Sorry that sounds like either your not saying what you mean to, or your just plain wrong. Its about judging PA attribute.

Dusk horizon - I would go with getting as many different opinions on the player as possible. 13/14 is ok if your around League one or even bottom half championship (or equivalent in other countries) but if at the top level should have better scouts.

I misread, he said assistant and I was thinking coaches :-)

Do the rating of the league affect the development of players? Playing as Honvéd, I just got a 15 year old with world class potential. Can he reach (or get close to)his potential playing in the hungarian league(rated 3 stars atm) and in the Champions League or do I need to let him go? My facilities are top class in every category.

Do the rating of the league affect the development of players? Playing as Honvéd, I just got a 15 year old with world class potential. Can he reach (or get close to)his potential playing in the hungarian league(rated 3 stars atm) and in the Champions League or do I need to let him go? My facilities are top class in every category.

His personality will determine if he can get close to or reach his potential. There is different levels of match experience though but he can still fulfill his potential at you if he has the correct personality type.

His personality will determine if he can get close to or reach his potential. There is different levels of match experience though but he can still fulfill his potential at you if he has the correct personality type.

Thank you. Will try to fix him up with one of my model pro's for tutoring. Is there a significant difference between the two tutoring options?

Thank you. Will try to fix him up with one of my model pro's for tutoring. Is there a significant difference between the two tutoring options?

Top option can also have a chance and transferring the tutors PPM's, were as the second option doesn't. That is the only difference between the 2 options.

Searched, but couldn't find this info; What are the different levels of team cohesion when you ask the ass.man team-talk feedback again?

Highest is "would die for one another" or something like that, "blending well together" is just below that- that's all I have off the top of my head. I usually aim for blending well together as it's hard to get to that last one if you have players coming in and out as I tend to do.

Ah. I have "strong understanding" as of now .. where would that be on the scale, you think?

Actually, that is right between blending well and die for one another- good shout :D. Bad mod I am, giving out an #epicfail piece of advice!

No worries. I would just like to know when the "teamwork" match prep stops working. But if you say that last step up to that die thingy is hard to get, I may tell myself enough is enough. It will come naturally eventually. Middle of December 2014 in a new save, so I guess I'm doing quite good on that front.

No worries. I would just like to know when the "teamwork" match prep stops working. But if you say that last step up to that die thingy is hard to get, I may tell myself enough is enough. It will come naturally eventually.

Once you get a strong understanding then the difference is unnoticeable really between the remaining options. It doesn't really matter after that.

Just a quick question, without going too much into deep details. My team has quite many strikers, all of them are mobile, skilled, but lack at heading, so they are quite suited to play as deep laying forward, trequartista, false nine etc. Most of the time, I have used AF/CF + DLF/F9 combination, which right now is not possible, I have tried to see how it would work, but results weren't good, anyone I fielded was suffering.

What would seem to you as a sensible combination of roles for two mobile and skilled strikers?

Just a quick question, without going too much into deep details. My team has quite many strikers, all of them are mobile, skilled, but lack at heading, so they are quite suited to play as deep laying forward, trequartista, false nine etc. Most of the time, I have used AF/CF + DLF/F9 combination, which right now is not possible, I have tried to see how it would work, but results weren't good, anyone I fielded was suffering.

What would seem to you as a sensible combination of roles for two mobile and skilled strikers?

Impossible to say unless you can be bothered to go into those deep details. The full set up and how you are playing is the biggest factor on what is a viable combo for you due to everything being able to work. Also unless your tactic was focused on pumping the ball into the box, I don't see how any of those roles would suffer from someone with a lack of heading, something else will be the cause for the results and I highly doubt it was the heading that was the deciding factor. Those combo's work fine with players without heading.

Apologies for repeating the post, but if someone could clarify this for me:

I'm not sure if this is a stupid one, but is there any way to tell my team to move the ball with higher tempo / more direct passing if possession is recovered high and to build more their play if possession is recovered more deep ?

Thanks

You're right Cleon, I was being lazy there. I apologise.

I'm using a 3-5-2 WB/DM formation, control strategy and fluid.

GK defend

CD stopper, CD cover, CD stopper

WBR attack, DLP defend, WBL support

B2B support, CM attack

DLF support, AF or CF attack

I use push higher D line and pass into space shouts most of the time, sometimes trying to adjust to the opponent via narrower/wider shape and/or exploit sides/middle shouts.

The thing is, my AF/CF player seems to get rather isolated, he is often just there, I would say being useless. No goals, no assists, neither movements to help out others. I'm not able to tell whether it's because of the personnel I have at my disposal (as mentioned before, quick and skilled, but under 10 at jumping, heading, strength, I'm playing 2nd tier in Spain to give an overall idea of the situation), or just a wrong roles/duties selection?

Apologies for repeating the post, but if someone could clarify this for me:

I'm not sure if this is a stupid one, but is there any way to tell my team to move the ball with higher tempo / more direct passing if possession is recovered high and to build more their play if possession is recovered more deep ?

Thanks

There is no way I know of to do directly what you are asking- there is probably a workaround where you could assign PI to your forward players which would be more direct and faster passing. This could work based on the idea that recovered up high balls would more likely be recovered by an advanced player. Outside of that, I am not aware of how you could accomplish this.

Guardiola has these atributes in editor. Do you think that my interpretations of attributes are correct ? And yes I know that these numbers are only a tendency

Attacking 10 - (standard mentality)

Depth 1 - (much higher defensive line)

Directness 1 (shorter passing)

Dirtines allowance 6 (stay on feet)

Flamboyancy 10 (flexible team shape)

Flexibility 17 (it means that he often changes tactic)

Free roles 18 (he use a lot of free roles or he use shout roam from positions)

Marking 7 (nothing to set but 20 could mean tighter marking)

Offside 16 (use offside trap)

Pressing 20 (close down much more)

Sitting back 2 (nothing to set but i could mean that he use defensive or contain mentality before end of the match)

Tempo 15 (higher tempo)

Use of playmaker 5 (nothing to set)

Use of subs 18 (he almost always use 3 subs in match)

width 12 (20 would mean he use play wider, but 12 is too low so i set nothing)

Guardiola preferred formation is 4-1-4-1 and he use these roles: sweeper/keeper, wing back, half back, ball-playing defender, deep-lying midfielder or advanced midfielder, wide midfielder, complete forward or false nine.

Do you agree that Guardiola play this way or not ?

I have a question about team talks. My manager stats are pretty low as I started with no coaching badges. Therefore there are other coaches at the club who have higher ratings for motivation. Suppose both me and one of the better coaches gave the same team talk would the players react better to the coach with the higher motivation stat?

Guardiola has these atributes in editor. Do you think that my interpretations of attributes are correct ? And yes I know that these numbers are only a tendency

Attacking 10 - (standard mentality)

Depth 1 - (much higher defensive line)

Directness 1 (shorter passing)

Dirtines allowance 6 (stay on feet)

Flamboyancy 10 (flexible team shape)

Flexibility 17 (it means that he often changes tactic)

Free roles 18 (he use a lot of free roles or he use shout roam from positions)

Marking 7 (nothing to set but 20 could mean tighter marking)

Offside 16 (use offside trap)

Pressing 20 (close down much more)

Sitting back 2 (nothing to set but i could mean that he use defensive or contain mentality before end of the match)

Tempo 15 (higher tempo)

Use of playmaker 5 (nothing to set)

Use of subs 18 (he almost always use 3 subs in match)

width 12 (20 would mean he use play wider, but 12 is too low so i set nothing)

Guardiola preferred formation is 4-1-4-1 and he use these roles: sweeper/keeper, wing back, half back, ball-playing defender, deep-lying midfielder or advanced midfielder, wide midfielder, complete forward or false nine.

Do you agree that Guardiola play this way or not ?

There's also an attribute about player's creative freedom set at 18, so More Expressive TI. I think the 1 in Defensive Line means Much Deeper and not Much Higher.

In my save the tactic is also a 4141 but with two FB (auto), 2 CD, 1 DM (suport), 1 MC (defend), 1 MC (auto), 2 WM (auto and attack) and one AF.

Guardiola changes a lot his tactics, roles, duties, between a 343, 3421, 3331 and even the last season's 4141 and 4231. And in FM you haven't roles like the box-to-box defender although you can go with a Libero. Alaba or Bernat also play as DM but then they play very wide stretching width, also impossible to replicate.

I have a question about team talks. My manager stats are pretty low as I started with no coaching badges. Therefore there are other coaches at the club who have higher ratings for motivation. Suppose both me and one of the better coaches gave the same team talk would the players react better to the coach with the higher motivation stat?

In theory they would, but honestly, the benefits/detriments of team talks are not all that great, even if you have all the badgers :D. They can provide a slight boost or damage for only the first ten minutes afterwards. The only longer benefit would be to improve match morale, but even then I don't consider it super important.