Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Question 1:

I can select 3 different tactics when in the tactics selection screen, and when I've done so, I can see them in a row beneath eachother.

But how do I make use of those 3 tactics? Do I click on one of them pre-match and that will be the one that is choosen? Do I drag and drop them?

And how do I make use of those 3 tactics when in a match?

So far it doesn't really seem to work, I guess. I cannot find out how to do it right. Help is very much appreciated :thup:

Question 2:

When I have an injured player while playing a match, I can drag and drop a substitute over him and so the substitute is playing for him. I think this also means all tactical settings that applied for the first player, now apply for the second one, yes? But what if I drag and drop 2 players that are allready on the field and swap those 2 with eachother? What does happen with the tactical settings then?

Thanks for answering! :)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question 1:

I can select 3 different tactics when in the tactics selection screen, and when I've done so, I can see them in a row beneath eachother.

But how do I make use of those 3 tactics? Do I click on one of them pre-match and that will be the one that is choosen? Do I drag and drop them?

And how do I make use of those 3 tactics when in a match?

Press the play button next to the tactic name to make it active. If you do this during a match you also have to confirm changes for the tactic change to take effect.

Question 2:

When I have an injured player while playing a match, I can drag and drop a substitute over him and so the substitute is playing for him. I think this also means all tactical settings that applied for the first player, now apply for the second one, yes? But what if I drag and drop 2 players that are allready on the field and swap those 2 with eachother? What does happen with the tactical settings then?

The tactic instructions apply to a position, not a player, so if you drag and drop a player to swap positions with another player they'll take the tactic instructions from their new position.

Thanks Shakes! What happens when I drag and drop a player to a positions that was not in the tactic?

And what if I drag and drop him back after that?

Would the first action give the player some kind of standard instructions that are applicable for that position and the second action would give that player the instructions that applied in the tactic that I'm using?

Thanks Shakes! What happens when I drag and drop a player to a positions that was not in the tactic?

And what if I drag and drop him back after that?

Would the first action give the player some kind of standard instructions that are applicable for that position and the second action would give that player the instructions that applied in the tactic that I'm using?

Yep, I think you're correct.

You can check by placing the player and clicking on the player to bring up the 'player instructions' tab, it'll show the role and duty (and other instructions) in there.

Hi guys, hope you have the time to discuss answer my question's3. Pretty sure a lot of people get this one. Our team has a corner, it gets whipped in, headed clear, comes to one of my back players, who precedes to fire it out to my corner taker who clearly is about 10 yards offsides! Any suggestions.Thanks to anyone who responds, I know its quite a lengthy post!!
Set your corner taket to stay back. Once hes fired in the corner he will quickly run back and not be caught offside.

Thank you furious!

Another question. My players keep attempting shots outside the box and using the work the ball into the box shout doesn't help. Player instructions don't help either.

What can I do about it?

Make sure they have passing options. So if you don't have movement and people making space for other players then you'll struggle to cut it out.

Thank you furious!

Another question. My players keep attempting shots outside the box and using the work the ball into the box shout doesn't help. Player instructions don't help either.

What can I do about it?

Also check the players creative freedom and teamwork this could also be causing it.

A selfish player with high creative freedom can be a loose cannon :D

It's like Cleon said as well though, If there's no options on a punt from long range might be the only option

I find sometimes when developing youth the don't full their potential and wont be no more than a backup for your squad. What would be the right age to sell them, so that you can get good dollar for them ?

There's no right age par sée it's down to your own judgement. I've let some gems go who I thought would never make it but they did.

Youth players come through at such a quick rate if your managing a big club, Ultimately you've got to decide weather the guys who's developing slowly is holding another player back and take it from there.

Is there a way to start PPM training for players apart from getting recommendations from backroom meetings?

I'm not on FM right now but if I remember correctly, it comes under the player interaction tab in the top right hand corner of a player's profile. Click on that then you'll see 'start preferred move training' or something along those lines.

How do I change my tactics in the halftime? I cannot find a button/menu.

Anyone?

As far as I can see, I can only click continue, but cannot change tactics or make substitutes. Can someone please point out what I am missing here?

Anyone?

As far as I can see, I can only click continue, but cannot change tactics or make substitutes. Can someone please point out what I am missing here?

When you're watching a game can't you see the Tactics button? It's under the current score in a game.

Anyone?

At half time you should be taken to a tab with your teams name as the header where you can give the team talk, the subtab option (2nd line) on the extreme left (Overview I think its labelled) will take you to the tactics screen. During the match its just a case of hitting the tactics button or if on commentary only its the bottom option of the match controls menu.

How to deal with the opponent launching attacks at their full backs? I'm managing Spurs in the 2nd season. Things are going well. 13 matches with 11-0-2, goals: 43-16. Those sixteen goals are stupid and way too high. **** corners and attacks launched by goalkeeper-pass to either full back. How to stop it?

At half time you should be taken to a tab with your teams name as the header where you can give the team talk, the subtab option (2nd line) on the extreme left (Overview I think its labelled) will take you to the tactics screen. During the match its just a case of hitting the tactics button or if on commentary only its the bottom option of the match controls menu.

I will try that. Thank you!

Always pause the game before entering tactics.

How to deal with the opponent launching attacks at their full backs? I'm managing Spurs in the 2nd season. Things are going well. 13 matches with 11-0-2, goals: 43-16. Those sixteen goals are stupid and way too high. **** corners and attacks launched by goalkeeper-pass to either full back. How to stop it?

Just set your GK to kick long. If you need to reduce his creative freedom to make sure he doesn't think too much then go ahead.

Or, and this is better, why not alter your tactics so that your FB has options and you can keep the ball and mount an attack from the back yourself? If you're the dominant team (which you are) you almost certainly have the players for this.

The opponents launch their attack by a pass from THEIR goalkeeper to THEIR full backs, which happens after my missed chances. I lose the ball in open play now and then, yes, but the main problem is withstanding their attacks coming from defender collects.

The opponents launch their attack by a pass from THEIR goalkeeper to THEIR full backs, which happens after my missed chances. I lose the ball in open play now and then, yes, but the main problem is withstanding their attacks coming from defender collects.

Either press more higher up the pitch - with either strikers or wide-men - or sit back and wait for them to come to you, withstand the attack and launch a counter. Pretty standard stuff really.

Work out who is defending the wide areas for you and you'll sort the problem.

I have downloaded multiple training schedules for individual areas, eg. gk, defence,att etc. It seems I can only select each schedule individually by player. Is it possible to do it by group selection, eg. Attackers.

PS. New to this training schedule stuff

Is there ANY reasoning for talking about dangermans before matches?

Some players may be more pressurized to perform, as a result may become nervous. I always try to look at determination, the lower it is the better, if u want to talk about them.

I have downloaded multiple training schedules for individual areas, eg. gk, defence,att etc. It seems I can only select each schedule individually by player. Is it possible to do it by group selection, eg. Attackers.

PS. New to this training schedule stuff

By default, your players should be on in-game training goalkeepers, defenders and etc schedule. After loading your custom schedules, click on assign all to your custom schedules.

How would you use oi on quick strikers? Close down or tight mark? Always or never? Ta

Depends on your defenders but I don't generally like tight marking. If I was playing deep I might because there is less space in behind but if I was pushing up I wouldn't, and my defenders all boast 15+ for pace. Personally I wouldn't worry about closing down but, again, I think it depends on line height - if I was playing high I'd close down as my defender should be closer anyway but if I was playing deep it probably means I want to sit off and not get caught behind so I wouldn't close down too aggressive.

Depends on your defenders but I don't generally like tight marking. If I was playing deep I might because there is less space in behind but if I was pushing up I wouldn't, and my defenders all boast 15+ for pace. Personally I wouldn't worry about closing down but, again, I think it depends on line height - if I was playing high I'd close down as my defender should be closer anyway but if I was playing deep it probably means I want to sit off and not get caught behind so I wouldn't close down too aggressive.

Ta furious. I play 3 tactics:

4222 attack (high line)

4231 control (medium line)

41221 counter (deep line)

So i should close down high and tight mark deep?

Thanks again

Ta furious. I play 3 tactics:

4222 attack (high line)

4231 control (medium line)

41221 counter (deep line)

So i should close down high and tight mark deep?

Thanks again

Yeah, as a general rule of thumb that's probably okay. Just make sure you keep an eye out, this question is more complex than you might think because it relies on how you defend but mostly on how the opposition are going to attack and that'll always be different. Try to get a feel for what's happening defensively - I've never paid too much attention defensively so it pays to develop a gut feeling to compensate for not poring over the details.

Yeah, as a general rule of thumb that's probably okay. Just make sure you keep an eye out, this question is more complex than you might think because it relies on how you defend but mostly on how the opposition are going to attack and that'll always be different. Try to get a feel for what's happening defensively - I've never paid too much attention defensively so it pays to develop a gut feeling to compensate for not poring over the details.

Thanks again mate

I remember quite a while ago there were some studies into seeing which tactics certain managers used during games. As far as I am aware, this was done by putting a really good manager as an assistant manager and letting him take control of matches. How do you view what tactics the assistant manager is using aside from just looking in the "formations" tab after a match - is it possible to extract tactics from matches?

I remember quite a while ago there were some studies into seeing which tactics certain managers used during games. As far as I am aware, this was done by putting a really good manager as an assistant manager and letting him take control of matches. How do you view what tactics the assistant manager is using aside from just looking in the "formations" tab after a match - is it possible to extract tactics from matches?

I think you can use a 3rd party tool such as FMRTE or Genie Scout. Evidence regarding this is heavily flawed for many many reasons. I'm not sure why this would be beneficial to anybody in any way but I don't think you're going to find answers to whatever question you need answering that way anyway. The AI is at a massive disadvantage to the human player so looking to the AI as a role-model for how to play FM is always going to be a poor choice.

Whats the best way to get my strikers firing?

Got Chris Wood and Leon Best upfront, every game im getting sorta 60% possession but they just don't want to shoot, or when they do it's from awful locations or when under pressure.

Bit impossible to say. If you're using Attack strategy as your default it often leads to the tempo being too high or players under too much pressure to get the ball in the net. Sometimes less is more.

Hello guys. Quick question about marking. Which marking system require more intelligent players, man or zonal? Thank you.

At a push, and for the sake of simplicity, I'd go zonal.

(Zonal and man are really very similar in FM, the difference is mainly to do with how 'quickly' your defenders pick up a mark)

Would like some advice on how to break this formation now. My favoured formation is 4-2-3-1 deep and 4-1(dm)-2(cm)-2(winger)-1

Looks like you have, Isla down just 10 more to go!

It is, of course, very tough to break this down but be patient, those wing-backs have an awful lot of work to do if this formation is to attack much. I'd probably sit back, be cautious and look for counter-style attacks played behind the wing-backs. Either of your preferred formations is perfect for this, your wide players could be IF's or Wingers but I'd be tempted to keep them wide, probably by increasing width a little but you'd have to make sure this doesn't lead to you getting overrun in midfield.

Difficult decision though, I'm sure you could get lots of differing opinions on this.

Sometimes if you can't see a clear tactical advantage it might be worth just targetting an opposition player you think is weak and attacking them that way. Just a thought.

I hope someone out there can help me. I am struggling putting together any sort of offensive attack. Once I get the ball into the opponents zone my AML/AMR's end up passing the ball back to my fullbacks who then pass to my midfielders who pass it back and forth for a while instead of trying to move it forward or even running through the gaps in the defense. Then they pass it to the DMC who passes it back out to a FB who passes it back to my goalie! I see this happen over and over. We get the ball to about 25-yards in front of the goal and then pass it backwards until eventually it is back to our goalie.

The other thing I see often is the AML and AMR run the ball down the sideline to the corner to just turn around and pass it backwards. Rarely attempting a cross (even when cross is set to often).

Also when the team attempts to bring it out of our zone they pass it up to the MC's who kick it about in the middle of the pitch rarely launching it forward and in most cases passing it backwards to a FB that is open.

I guess I am asking why the team always passes backwards?

My formation is:

ST

AML AMR

MC MC

DMC

FB CB CB FB

Any help would be greatly appreciated.