Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Thank you Dr. Hook, think I have managed to do it somewhat. I use a DLF(s), but this keeps him too low for my liking, what I am aiming for is a striker who will play high up, but keeps it simple when in possession. Just a passing outlet for the rest of the team, and when he has released the ball, looks for new space, or gets into the box. Think I will try a Defensive Forward. The thing with a DF is that my team seems to lump it up towards him, mutch like with a TM =(

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an American guy who has been playing FM for 4 years now, each year getting the new game. However, these previous years I have just shopped around here and other forums for tactics to use. I just don't understand formations, roles, instructions enough to create my own tactic. But I have hoping to change that this year.

I have also had the wrong mentality this whole time. With american football, typically, if you want to score a lot and pass a lot, you put your QB in shotgun and give him 4 or so wide receivers every play. So, I used that mentality with soccer. If I want to score I a lot, then that means I must deploy a formation that has multiple strikers and attacking mids, right? But that is wrong, isn't it? Having 3 guys up front doesn't necessarily mean I am setting myself up to score a lot, does it? You can have one guy up front and play pretty conservatively and still dominate the scoreboard, right?

Anyways, here is a question I have. I am doing some research on formations and found an article about the 4-4-2 and how it died out because the "lack of traditional targetmen and a severe lack of classic No. 7s and No. 11s."

What do they mean by that? What do they mean by the classic No. 7 and No. 11?

Thanks!

I am an American guy who has been playing FM for 4 years now, each year getting the new game. However, these previous years I have just shopped around here and other forums for tactics to use. I just don't understand formations, roles, instructions enough to create my own tactic. But I have hoping to change that this year.

I have also had the wrong mentality this whole time. With american football, typically, if you want to score a lot and pass a lot, you put your QB in shotgun and give him 4 or so wide receivers every play. So, I used that mentality with soccer. If I want to score I a lot, then that means I must deploy a formation that has multiple strikers and attacking mids, right? But that is wrong, isn't it? Having 3 guys up front doesn't necessarily mean I am setting myself up to score a lot, does it? You can have one guy up front and play pretty conservatively and still dominate the scoreboard, right?

Anyways, here is a question I have. I am doing some research on formations and found an article about the 4-4-2 and how it died out because the "lack of traditional targetmen and a severe lack of classic No. 7s and No. 11s."

What do they mean by that? What do they mean by the classic No. 7 and No. 11?

Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squad_number_%28association_football%29

Number 7 & 11 are generally referred to as traditional wingers.

If you want to learn football (or soccer) I would read this: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/423054-Lines-and-Diamonds-The-Tactician-s-Handbook-for-Football-Manager-2015

It's written for FM15 but it explain a lot of general concepts also!

Still on 15 but guess this applies to 16 as well anyway. Still after a year struggling with any sort of consistency from an AM role and have been thinking about the PI "moves into channels". Can I assume that if you want your AM to be more of a creator then it's best not to have the PI "move into channels" active? The reason I ask is that technically that suggests he will then move into the channels between CB and FB where as if you want him to stay in "the hole" and pick out passes himself that's the last place you want him to be moving to. However I guess also it depends on what roles your striker(s) have. Two deep lying strikers you may want the AM getting beyond them so "MIC" would be a good thing. But generally if you want him picking out your CF or AF with passes you just want him in that hole? Also if he is peeling away and moving into channels you will need a creator of some sort behind him because if say you play with an AM and two forwards all pulling into the channels they are all technically running away from the ball. Am I correct or totally wrong?

Thank you Dr. Hook, think I have managed to do it somewhat. I use a DLF(s), but this keeps him too low for my liking, what I am aiming for is a striker who will play high up, but keeps it simple when in possession. Just a passing outlet for the rest of the team, and when he has released the ball, looks for new space, or gets into the box. Think I will try a Defensive Forward. The thing with a DF is that my team seems to lump it up towards him, mutch like with a TM =(

The team don't lump it towards a DF because he's not set up like a TM. If you are seeing this then it's another issue causing it and seems like a lack of movement/options. The role you want pretty much describes a DLF on attack.

Still on 15 but guess this applies to 16 as well anyway. Still after a year struggling with any sort of consistency from an AM role and have been thinking about the PI "moves into channels". Can I assume that if you want your AM to be more of a creator then it's best not to have the PI "move into channels" active? The reason I ask is that technically that suggests he will then move into the channels between CB and FB where as if you want him to stay in "the hole" and pick out passes himself that's the last place you want him to be moving to. However I guess also it depends on what roles your striker(s) have. Two deep lying strikers you may want the AM getting beyond them so "MIC" would be a good thing. But generally if you want him picking out your CF or AF with passes you just want him in that hole? Also if he is peeling away and moving into channels you will need a creator of some sort behind him because if say you play with an AM and two forwards all pulling into the channels they are all technically running away from the ball. Am I correct or totally wrong?

Correct. If you have a creator and he's got people in front of him running away from goal or not in dangerous positions then what's the point of using a creator? If the creator isn't in the best place to be creative and supply the attacking players with the ball then what's the point of him? You need to find the balance for what you've created.

I linked you two threads recently that was focused on a creator and another one that spoke about creating goalscorers.

I still don't get you. Paul Scholes largely played exclusively in the middle vertical third of the pitch. He was renowned for exceptional long range passing to the flanks, but those are not crosses, they are passes into space in FM terms. Show me some regular footage of Scholes making a lung-busting run out wide and putting a cross in.

Why does it have to be a lung-busting run followed by a cross though? I can't speak about Scholes, but Xavi would on occasion cross a ball and surprise the opposition - check: 2009 UCL Final the cross for Messi's goal:D

Correct. If you have a creator and he's got people in front of him running away from goal or not in dangerous positions then what's the point of using a creator? If the creator isn't in the best place to be creative and supply the attacking players with the ball then what's the point of him? You need to find the balance for what you've created.

I linked you two threads recently that was focused on a creator and another one that spoke about creating goalscorers.

Cleon, what about a playmaker who has the PPM "moves into channels", like Ozil? What negative and/or positive does that bring? How may that play into a decision what role to give him, along with the roles of the players around him?

I'm asking specifically because for FM16 I'm thinking of experimenting creating a tactic (with Arsenal) based around the playmaking abilities of Ozil and goalscoring abilities of players around him. I want to use him at his best/most natural position as AMC, with STC in front and 2 MCs behind him. Still haven't decided if I want to/should use AMRL, MRL or combination of one of each (ex: AML and MR). In addition, he also has "comes deep to get the ball" as you may be aware....and I'm wondering what would happen if I made him learn "gets into opposition area" (can I even make him learn that?...don't know) or some other forward moving PPM? In other words, to give him an "arsenal" (no pun intended) of PPMs and freedom to choose based on his attributes (which are great, of course) and of course role/duty to execute his playmaking ability.

Cleon, what about a playmaker who has the PPM "moves into channels", like Ozil? What negative and/or positive does that bring? How may that play into a decision what role to give him, along with the roles of the players around him?

I'm asking specifically because for FM16 I'm thinking of experimenting creating a tactic (with Arsenal) based around the playmaking abilities of Ozil and goalscoring abilities of players around him. I want to use him at his best/most natural position as AMC, with STC in front and 2 MCs behind him. Still haven't decided if I want to/should use AMRL, MRL or combination of one of each (ex: AML and MR). In addition, he also has "comes deep to get the ball" as you may be aware....and I'm wondering what would happen if I made him learn "gets into opposition area" (can I even make him learn that?...don't know) or some other forward moving PPM? In other words, to give him an "arsenal" (no pun intended) of PPMs and freedom to choose based on his attributes (which are great, of course) and of course role/duty to execute his playmaking ability.

I think it'll be fine. Moves into channels is a good PPM for a playmaker because it means he is roaming about creating and finding space. But if your creator is roaming about then the players infront of him or the players he will be playing in need to be more static if not he might not have anyone to aim for. So in short if the playmaker roams (talking AMC only here btw) then the attackers shouldn't really be roaming as much as this can mean you have no-one who is a goal threat. I think Ozil drifting around with a Giroud type up front and a Sanchez/Walcott running inside would work well. I actually think something based around that would bring the best out of all four of those players.

Teaching him gets into the oppositions area is a good idea too, it adds to the things he can do. He's also very intelligent so it should add another level to his play and possibly make him more of a goal threat. Actually this I wrote the other month might be useful for deciding what to do with Ozil and how to get him scoring and creating a lot;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/427810-Meet-The-Attacking-Midfield-Playmaker

It might give you a different idea on how to utilise him while having him as the focal point.

I think it'll be fine. Moves into channels is a good PPM for a playmaker because it means he is roaming about creating and finding space. But if your creator is roaming about then the players infront of him or the players he will be playing in need to be more static if not he might not have anyone to aim for. So in short if the playmaker roams (talking AMC only here btw) then the attackers shouldn't really be roaming as much as this can mean you have no-one who is a goal threat. I think Ozil drifting around with a Giroud type up front and a Sanchez/Walcott running inside would work well. I actually think something based around that would bring the best out of all four of those players.

Teaching him gets into the oppositions area is a good idea too, it adds to the things he can do. He's also very intelligent so it should add another level to his play and possibly make him more of a goal threat. Actually this I wrote the other month might be useful for deciding what to do with Ozil and how to get him scoring and creating a lot;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/427810-Meet-The-Attacking-Midfield-Playmaker

It might give you a different idea on how to utilise him while having him as the focal point.

Yes, I read your article as I always do even if I don't comment or add anything to the discussions. I enjoyed this one as I did the one about the DLP a few years ago. Actually the article you linked is what inspired me to create something like that once FM16 was released (at least the Beta). I've always been a fan and admirer of Ozil, even as Barca fan when he played for Real Madrid. I think he is the best natural advanced/attacking playmaker since Zidane.

In your article you went from using a Trequartista to using an regular AM-A....I understand why and can see the effects. However, I'm not sure how I can use that to help me with my decision what role to give Ozil. Of course, the role I choose for him will have knock on effect on other roles and vice versa I guess. I'm ruling out Support Duty roles for him because I want him focused on attacking, creating chances and being closer to goal to score himself on occasion. Then there is also the fact that I have to balance the duties and distribute them appropriately so it all works together. If my AMC is on Attack, most likely the AML will be also, which means one of STC or AMR has to be on Support (I may be able to get away with using ST on Attack and MR on Attack). Can a trio of IF-A/T-A/W-A work behind a DLF-S? Would the DLF be enough of a goal threat? What if the DLF is on Attack and the Winger is on Support? What if the Winger is on Attack but from the MR position? I could use WM-A from ML and W-A from MR with a Poacher or DLF-A up front.

So many things to figure out.....I know one of my MCs will be a CM-D for sure....the other one....DLP perhaps

Thanks Cleon. So if I were to play a

DLF S-------------CF A

---------AM A/S------

what PI "move into channels" wise would you use on them? I got the idea months ago with Rashidi's 4312 but he uses a DLF S---F9---AM and all use MIC which I can understand because all three obviously combine with little short passes for him and I suspect his F9 and AM score a few with his DLF being an assist maker.

I use the set up I have because Valencia regularly bags 30 odd goals a season but have always had trouble getting much out of the DLF or consistency out of the AM. Sakho bags goals when Valencia is out at CF but does very little at DLF. I've tried him at every other role but to no avail. So I'd appreciate your advice on PI's for those three roles.

Did you? Where abouts was this?

I need help here regarding to SS (shadow striker) on FM 16.

I'm using 4-2(dm's)-3-1. the DMS's are half back and regista. usually i'm using the AMC as trequartista, but I have a good young player who's good at SS. when im using him as SS, I feel he playing exactly as trequartista. moving around a lot, staying as AMC position and barely Threatening the goal.

I tried to play with F9, DLF, DLP in front of him but nothing...

I'm interested to see and hear how you using the SS... thanks

I would really like to understand this (although I made a mistake with my former noob question about the wing-back), but I have an IF that has an option to close down less or much less, the same for an AP with attack duty, the same for an AP with support suty, the same for the False 9. Why can't these guys close down like the team (meaning, the team instruction) ??? :eek:

Two questions.. firstly my CM-D in a 451 (flat) shape Standard Flexible had close down more as a default? Not sure why but then when I give him the PI Close down less it says he has both close down more and close down less as PIs? Which is confusing and not sure which he listens to?

And secondly the training is different.. If I pick someone to train as an Inside Forward for example I assume they will be focusing on all the attributes recommended for a good inside forward? Is there any way to check this or see what attributes they are focusing on? Also can I select how heavy they are focusing on the role like in FM15 where I would have someone training under Inside Forward under a heavy intensity?? Can't find out where.. Thanks

Having som problem with Harry Kane, hes scores but. Well, not as much as i would want! Hes scored 10 in 24(3), so its not that bad. He isnt gettin in to good positions around the box. Been tryin with different types of setups

4-2-3-1, flexible, control and changing depending on opposition. IF i use fluid, how does that differ to flexible? The main things?

CF(S)

Winger(A) - Ap-(s) - IF(A)

dlp(s) - CM(d)

I have been changing alot, but this is what i use right now. I have batshuyai(sp?) and its the same problem with him

Having som problem with Harry Kane, hes scores but. Well, not as much as i would want! Hes scored 10 in 24(3), so its not that bad. He isnt gettin in to good positions around the box. Been tryin with different types of setups

4-2-3-1, flexible, control and changing depending on opposition. IF i use fluid, how does that differ to flexible? The main things?

CF(S)

Winger(A) - Ap-(s) - IF(A)

dlp(s) - CM(d)

I have been changing alot, but this is what i use right now. I have batshuyai(sp?) and its the same problem with him

Does he still has shoot from distance ppm in FM 16? If he does, I suggest giving him the DF(S) or DLF(S) role instead. Players(especially strikers) with shoot from distance ppm and rwb often normally just shoot alot more from the outside.

away games, any tactics for this, rather fed up of this version after version.

Depends on what is happening to you obviously, but the usual answer is that if you are a strong team on a winning streak, teams shut up shop and if you roll on with attacking strategies you will just get frustrated. A bit of individual brilliance will still work, or a great long shot, but often what happens is you are trying to get the ball into a tightly packed area and your attackers are not finding space. In these cases (and if this is not you, I apologize) you have to dial it back a bit and stretch the play in both width and depth. You have to pull the defense apart somehow. This can be as simple as adopting a more conservative strategy, or changing roles that drop deeper or play wider. Anything that gets the defense moving to create openings.

I'm interested to see and hear how you using the SS... thanks

I'm using a SS at time with a 4-2-3-1 with two CMs. I have DLF (S) in front of him, and he gets forward all the time, and scores a good bit 6 in 12, though the DLF is more of a goal scoring threat. He does resemble the Treq at times, but I see a lot more forward penentration than you are noticing. I think a key is to have space ahead, so your F needs to be dropping off or going wide to open up room for the SS. If you notice his default position is a lot close to the striker than the standard AMC. DId you try the DLK of support? If so, you might try getting him to move out wide into channels.

I'm using a SS at time with a 4-2-3-1 with two CMs. I have DLF (S) in front of him, and he gets forward all the time, and scores a good bit 6 in 12, though the DLF is more of a goal scoring threat. He does resemble the Treq at times, but I see a lot more forward penentration than you are noticing. I think a key is to have space ahead, so your F needs to be dropping off or going wide to open up room for the SS. If you notice his default position is a lot close to the striker than the standard AMC. DId you try the DLK of support? If so, you might try getting him to move out wide into channels.

Dr. Hook can you help ? Thanks :)

I would really like to understand this (although I made a mistake with my former noob question about the wing-back), but I have an IF that has an option to close down less or much less, the same for an AP with attack duty, the same for an AP with support suty, the same for the False 9. Why can't these guys close down like the team (meaning, the team instruction) ???

Dr. Hook can you help ? Thanks :)

I would really like to understand this (although I made a mistake with my former noob question about the wing-back), but I have an IF that has an option to close down less or much less, the same for an AP with attack duty, the same for an AP with support suty, the same for the False 9. Why can't these guys close down like the team (meaning, the team instruction) ???

I am not really sure what you are asking here. I have two IFs in my setup and they both have closing down the same as the team setting. That is where they defaulted to for me. Maybe a screen shot would help show what you mean?

I know it is ME issue being resolved, but is there a way to at least reduce number of goals conceded by crosses? (until the next update)

Defending generally is being tightened, but there isn't specifically an issue relating to crosses. The system you use is, in my opinion, a bigger factor than any perceived ME issue here.

Well you can't defend against crosses on first post. I tried closing down opposition wide players, specifically mark them, but nothing helped. I concede most of my goals through crosses (and so does a lot of people I know). I use flat 4-5-1 with FB - support on both sides, and W - attack on both sides. As they are in the MRL strata I don't want to put them to DW or to lower their mentality.

Well you can't defend against crosses on first post. I tried closing down opposition wide players, specifically mark them, but nothing helped. I concede most of my goals through crosses (and so does a lot of people I know). I use flat 4-5-1 with FB - support on both sides, and W - attack on both sides. As they are in the MRL strata I don't want to put them to DW or to lower their mentality.

Best thing to do is log some examples in the Bugs Section then. That's the most proactive way of helping to fix the issue (if there is one).

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/437124-Reporting-a-Match-Engine-Problem

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/505-Match-Engine-Issues

I am not really sure what you are asking here. I have two IFs in my setup and they both have closing down the same as the team setting. That is where they defaulted to for me. Maybe a screen shot would help show what you mean?

I could post a screenshot, but the game is in portuguese so I'm not sure it would help.

My close down TI is set to Much More, so "sometimes" would be the maximum PI the players would have (as "sometimes" being equal to close down like the team does), but the only PI options are less and much less.

I could post a screenshot, but the game is in portuguese so I'm not sure it would help.

My close down TI is set to Much More, so "sometimes" would be the maximum PI the players would have (as "sometimes" being equal to close down like the team does), but the only PI options are less and much less.

Okay, so basically your team is at the max closing down, so there is nowhere more to close down for those players. They are already at the max, so of course the only options for them are less closing down.

Okay, so basically your team is at the max closing down, so there is nowhere more to close down for those players. They are already at the max, so of course the only options for them are less closing down.

Yes, but shouldn't the players have their PI set to sometimes, since this one equals the TI ?

After a bit of feedback on my tactic.

I'm trying to 'learn the art' of tactics, I am playing FMT16 on the Beta because my impression is that there is no issue with tactical familiarity. This is the tactic I am playing:

Club%20Estudiantes%20de%20La%20Plata_%20%20Overview-2_zpsyhztn1e8.png

The idea is that the CMs stay deep, and with the ball the wide midfielders find space between the opposition defence and midfield to link the midfield and attack. The wing backs should come forward in support, but only if it is right to do so and only one at a time. The Defensive Forward is to help out when the opposition plays a midfield 3 by challenging the deeper midfielders. I have a Control strategy to avoid getting pulled apart on the counter. At the moment the tactic is reasonably defensively solid but I am struggling a bit with penetration up front. My main issues are:

1. Very ponderous play from the front 2. I know that a Control strategy will lead to slower buildup play, and that is OK in midfield but there are many times in a match where one of the FCs willl recieve the ball and take 2 or 3 touches, allowing the defennce to reorganise. This is a problem because my lack of bodies up front means I need to take advantage of any gaps the opposition leave. I dont want to play Attacking because I think it would leave me too open, and Counter causes the 2 MCs to sit too deep. Are my roles wrong?

2. The DfF is there to assist with an opposing DM but in Argentina 442 is quite common. I cant get him to drop off the back line into the space enough with any other role, and it makes us too shallow up front.

3. The wide playmakers are trying too many slide rule passes in behind. What I'd like is for more movement from the front 2 to create depth rather than just trying through balls, and they also tend to ignore the WBs overlapping.

I'm not doing terribly, but as someone that really struggles with tactics I would appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone has. Also, I am using the Challenges on FMT as a tactical sandbox, as it throws me straight in the middle of a season and I dont have to worry about tactical familiarity. Is this a good idea or are there any other methods people use to play around with experimental tactics?

Yes, but shouldn't the players have their PI set to sometimes, since this one equals the TI ?

But you said earlier that you have the TI set to the highest closing down. How would sometimes equal the TI if that istrue? I think you'd best show a screenshot here. No I don't speak Portuguese, but I do Hablo Espanol, and in any case, the layout is exactly the same, and we can see what your settings are graphically.

But you said earlier that you have the TI set to the highest closing down. How would sometimes equal the TI if that istrue? I think you'd best show a screenshot here. No I don't speak Portuguese, but I do Hablo Espanol, and in any case, the layout is exactly the same, and we can see what your settings are graphically.

This option for Sometimes PI is confusing. I was told in the fm16 beta feedback thread by a member of SI that the PI close down "Sometimes" is basicaly telling the player to close down like the team. So, in terms of player instructions:

Much More = much more than the team

More = more than the team

Sometimes = team

Less = less than the team

Much Less = much less than the team

This is what I was told, so the Close Down player instruction is always by comparison with the team. If this is correct (and I believe it is, because it came from SI), player should have the option Sometimes in their PI even if the TI is set to close down much more. Right ?

A TI screenshot

T_cticas.png

and an example of a player (Inside Forward)

T_cticas_Jogador.png

So, in this example, the IF has the option to close down less or much less than the team, but does not have the option to close down like the team closes down (the PI option Sometimes)

Ah I get what you are saying now. I think it is a translation difference that we have here. I just set my tactic to Max pressing. THen my players are showing the max pressing, but it says sometimes. It looks like in the Portuguese it doesn't say that- it says menos. Shouldn't it say mas o menos (or the equivalent?). But you are seeing the exact same thing I am, just the wording is different. My PI says sometimes, but I only have the option to decrease it because there is no higher setting. I think SI should probably change the wording here, as its a bit confusing.

Anyway, the short answer is that you can't increase the pressing, regardless of what it says because it is already at the maximum level :)

Ah I get what you are saying now. I think it is a translation difference that we have here. I just set my tactic to Max pressing. THen my players are showing the max pressing, but it says sometimes. It looks like in the Portuguese it doesn't say that- it says menos. Shouldn't it say mas o menos (or the equivalent?). But you are seeing the exact same thing I am, just the wording is different. My PI says sometimes, but I only have the option to decrease it because there is no higher setting. I think SI should probably change the wording here, as its a bit confusing.

Anyway, the short answer is that you can't increase the pressing, regardless of what it says because it is already at the maximum level :)

Thank you DrHook :thup:. I've found out this morning I was banned for alias, so since I won't be posting here anymore, I just want to say I wasn't trying to increase the close down in player instructions, but just trying to understand if Sometimes was missing in player instructions when using the TI close down much more. If it's a bug - although a minor one - I hope SI fix it. As I understand it, Sometimes is, as you say, a bit confusing and the option should

be visible instead of only options less and much less.

So I want my ass man to run general training

Does anyone know for sure what determines which focus he selects? The squad's strengths maybe? His playing/pressing style?

Atm I'm unsure which attributes to look for in an assistant that runs general training

Has anyone noticed any chances between training in FM16 and training in FM15?

Not the GUI changes, but more any tweaks to how long it might take before an increase in attributes is clear

There is no real changes at all with regards to training, it's still the same as before. Each player and each attribute will be different for everyone because it depends how far up it is to begin with, how much CA someone has left, how quickly he is seeing CA gains and so on. If you want a player to develop better and faster then concentrate on his personality type and give him game time.

So I want my ass man to run general training

Does anyone know for sure what determines which focus he selects? The squad's strengths maybe? His playing/pressing style?

Atm I'm unsure which attributes to look for in an assistant that runs general training

It basically comes down to what he thinks you need and the game isn't intelligent enough for staff to realise what you want.

There is no real changes at all with regards to training, it's still the same as before. Each player and each attribute will be different for everyone because it depends how far up it is to begin with, how much CA someone has left, how quickly he is seeing CA gains and so on. If you want a player to develop better and faster then concentrate on his personality type and give him game time.

Good good!!

....As long as all the stuff you advise in your Ajax thread is still valid :)

Cheers Cleon

Looking to build a tactic that I can use for a few clubs, although the intent is to start first with Hull. I quite like the idea of counterattacking (what Arsenal can do right now at their peak, Madrid 2 years ago, etc). The hope is to build a tactic and a squad that is defensively sound, compact, and hard to break down, which can make rapid transition into attack to counter at pace while the opposition is stretched out. This takes some obvious inspiration from Cleon's Defensive Arts.

The 4-4-2 narrow diamond fits the Hull squad fairly well. They have pretty decent central defenders, wide defenders, and several solid CMs who are all relatively similar (hard working, not too creative or technical), but not much for wingers. Hence the narrow formation. Given the use of only a couple specialist roles, I was going to go Flexible for the team shape. The FBs will likely be WB-S, so they are higher up the pitch and will provide the width in attack, but will still help defensively. The DM will be a DLP. The two CMs probably B2B and CM-S. The AM I'm thinking AP. And then a striker pairing of AF and DLF.

For TIs, I'm thinking Higher Tempo (for rapid transitions once we have the ball), Narrow, Deeper defensive line, Passing into Space, and Short Passing. I'm not sure about Higher Tempo and Shorter Passing, but I envision the central mids and wingbacks moving the ball rapidly up the pitch with shorter passes. Given that the talent at Hull to start isn't exactly Arsenal caliber passers, I'm thinking that having them look to the shorter option reduces the chances of a wayward pass, turning the ball over, and having to defend while stretched out.

My main reason for posting is that I'm trying to figure out what to against sides that have more overlapping wide players. I've had some issues with it in past FMs and never really resolved it. I don't want to get overloaded wide, even if my glut of players inside can reduce the likely damage of crosses coming in somewhat. I thought about having my two strikers specifically mark the wide defenders, but that just seems like it will pull them into bad spots for the attack transition. Suggestions?

My main reason for posting is that I'm trying to figure out what to against sides that have more overlapping wide players. I've had some issues with it in past FMs and never really resolved it. I don't want to get overloaded wide, even if my glut of players inside can reduce the likely damage of crosses coming in somewhat. I thought about having my two strikers specifically mark the wide defenders, but that just seems like it will pull them into bad spots for the attack transition. Suggestions?

This is the big question with shapes like the diamond. For starters, and I know you know this, you will have to accept some level of wide play being effective against you- it's the nature of the beast :) I agree with you not to set the strikers to mark the fullbacks as that will more often hamstring with you with any counters or transition as you note. One thing I did with this formation is use my CMs to deal with the overlapping fullbacks. Again, you lose something in the middle, but with your DM there, and a decently aware AM you will still have transition options in the middle. As you aren't relying on either CM as a playmaker, you might consider setting them to mark the fullbacks. As I said, I used that method and while it has a drawbacks, it was the least painful thing I found when I needed to do something about the marauding FBs.

This is the big question with shapes like the diamond. For starters, and I know you know this, you will have to accept some level of wide play being effective against you- it's the nature of the beast :) I agree with you not to set the strikers to mark the fullbacks as that will more often hamstring with you with any counters or transition as you note. One thing I did with this formation is use my CMs to deal with the overlapping fullbacks. Again, you lose something in the middle, but with your DM there, and a decently aware AM you will still have transition options in the middle. As you aren't relying on either CM as a playmaker, you might consider setting them to mark the fullbacks. As I said, I used that method and while it has a drawbacks, it was the least painful thing I found when I needed to do something about the marauding FBs.

Yup, you are right and I am aware. I realize and fully accept its not going to be possible to completely negate that aspect. Its the weakness of this formation, much as having 4 midfielders in a tight area is the strength. I've also come to realize the difference between a philosophy and a formation, and if the squad was a bit bigger and more diverse (in terms of player types), I would probably try to create a second version with the same tactical ideas in a different formation.

Nice thought of using one of the CMs to mark that FB. Hadn't really considered that. Probably something I will do on an as-need basis in a match where I'm finding problems from one particular side. Thanks!

I'm getting an inordinate amount of offsides, so far as to be getting them regularly with my Full backs.

What are the options to cut down on offsides? increase tempo? dribble more?

Define "inordinate". What are the Roles / Duties of those getting caught offside? What is your Mentality and what TIs do you use?

I may possibly be exaggerating with inordinate, but I'm getting a lot more offsides than I would like or expect. I've seen one of my fullback on WB-S in an attacking system getting 5-6 offsides a game, strikers as AF-A and CF-S getting more than usual in a few games but that was in a game where the other team was clearly using offside trap. IF-S and W-A getting as many as I'd expect.

Using higher tempo, mixed passing directness and play out of defence.