Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here goes lol. If I set my formation to be a 4-4-2 with the CMs both with barrows on them, is this the same as having 2 DMs with farrows?

One way to find out is give both players the exact same settings but play them simultaneously in a single match and watch the differences in where they are positioned at any given moment.

So in your 442 have a DM with a farrow and an MC with a barrow. 45 minutes of a full match should give you an idea of how they position themselves for a given set of instructions.

Are they blasting those shots from outside the areas? If so give them less long shots and creative freedom. If inside the area, I believe this relates to either the quality of the striker or his morale.

Opposition Instructions make a big difference. Tell your team to close down the goalkeeper and see the affects. It does make a difference and can let you do a range of things.

Tell me more about these mistakes and I may help

If so give them less long shots and creative freedom.

Sorry, I fundamentally disagree, and always have done, with the less CF option. In order to reduce long shots you need to have more passing options. Thus you need width, free roles, creative freedom, FWRs for FBs, direct passing to open a range of passing options for the man in possession (yes, I know that contradicts earlier thoughts on this ;) ) plus through ball, crossing, RWB and long shot options for all players in attacking positions.

wwfan, I find though that giving players less freedom makes them stick to instructions and I normally only give better players any freedom. I totally agree on your second point but Blaze doesn't provide enough information to build on that

Agree with you here, I find CF enourages more long range shots at times rather than a simple pass to someone else better positioned. I get the point wwfan makes though about getting support from other players, but sometimes thats still not enough :(

Anyone know the max CA gain you can expect to see from a player over the course of one season would be?

I have this 22 year old Reunionese striker, had him a couple of seasons and he's scoring for fun in CC league 1. His stats are mediocre, he has 115 CA and 185 PA. My training facilities are up to "adequate" and my coaching is ~5 stars all round. How to get the best out of him? Should he play every game, as a super sub or just the occasional cameo appearance? How many seasons (roughly) would it take to gain 70 CA?

Other question, he just got called up to the Reunion squad... they don't play many games (no competitive games and one friendly every 3 seasons or so from what i can tell) otherwise he'd have made his debut already. The thing is, he could potentially play for France one day (although he missed out on the U21 squad) I'm thinking it might be wise to withdraw him from international duty in the hope that he opts for France when/if he's good enough. Any advantage/disadvantage to this in terms of player development?

Cheers for any responses.

^As a rough guess I would say 10 at best a season given your facilities and his age. So he might be a late bloomer and get up to 150 to 160 by the time he is 27 but there is now way he will reach close to his PA.

With a CA of 115 I doubt he will get called up by France. He might when he is older and if his CA increases sufficiently but it really isn't worth the grief as withdrawing him will **** him off. There won't be recognition of your reasoning for it.

Okay, here's a fairly dumb question. I'm asking it here because I'm not entirely sure the problem is tactics related, but I think it is.

At first, I was doing great. I was fighting with with Manchester United for first place. But now my team is completely falling apart. It started happening with about a quarter of the season left. I have 4 league games left currently and then the FA Cup Final. (I'm playing Arsenal, for reference.) My team seemingly has forgotten how to play well together. No one is playing well at all. It's basically a disaster. (and cost me first place in premier .. I'm gonna be lucky to get 4th at the rate I'm going. Mathematically, I could still get 2nd place, but I doubt I'll manage that.)

I'm thinking this can be cured by changing tactics, but I have no idea what to do. I've been playing a 3-4-2-1 for most the season. (It's weird, I know. It came about as a result of multiple injuries and people getting called up to the Internationals, and it worked really well up until recently.) Would switching to a more standard tactic like 4-4-2 help, maybe? I'm wondering if I'm getting predictable, actually. I've been playing the same tactics for 80% of the season.

For the record, while there are multiple problems, my biggest problem is my striker and attacking midfielders (despite me not changing tactics) have started taking shots from way out.. and the majority of these shots are off target. I'm not really that great with tactics, so I'm not sure how to fix this. (I'm especially confused because I haven't changed tactics recently, they just started doing it.)

Anyway, any help on this is appreciated.

From the changelist to the patch high morale can contribute to players taking long shots. So the best you can do is set it to rarely and reduce their creative freedom if you want them to stop (this has it's downsides though so it's up to you). But if you look at these long shot moments specifically and compare them to how your players used to behave what you might want to look at is passing options. What did they do differently in prior matches and is there something different that the opposition has done defensively in your recent matches to reduce those passing options? If so is there any way for you to counter this e.g. commit more men forward, play wider to create more separation, adjust options mentality/forward runs/arrows to change passing options positions for a given player who keeps taking long shots.

Of course you can't really compensate for players just making bad decisions.

Also there's the unknown team talk effects.

Have a look a few posts up in relation to strikers blasting shots (blaze89 followed by responses).

Thanks for the advice. I studied up on tactics after I got home (made that prior post from work) and found I had set a few conflicting things in tactics. (Attacking mentality with a deep defense, for instance.) I took your advice as well. I've only played one game, but I did much better. We'll see if this can hold up against Chelsea (who eliminated me from the Champions Cup semis) in the FA Cup Finals.

Thanks!

Four questions if you dont mind would be a big help.

1. I understand how barrows and farrows work but how would a sarrow on the two outside CMs of a 3 CM formation affect how they would play?

2. Also I remember reading somewhere that if I have my FBs on quite an attacking mentality like a 13 or 14 and put barrows on each would this help to make them defend aswell as attack without the huge farrows?

3. If I have a formation of GK, Flat back 4, 3 CMs, 1 AMC and two strikers playing quite narrow, would it be better to have focus passing through the middle than mixed?

4. How do I set up two strikers using one as a TM with ball to feet and the other as a normal fast striker?

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Basically farrows mean that when your team is not in possession this is where your player will be. So when your team is not in possession they will play as dm's and in possession as cm's

I always thought that all the arrows (farrow, barrow, sarrow) only worked when your team was in posession. For example a full-back with a farrow to the wing-back position would only be in wing-back position when your team had the ball, i.e. were on the attack. And when we we didn't have the ball (defending) he'd be at full-back.

I'd love this point to be cleared up as I have all sorts of arrows! :)

I always thought that all the arrows (farrow, barrow, sarrow) only worked when your team was in posession. For example a full-back with a farrow to the wing-back position would only be in wing-back position when your team had the ball, i.e. were on the attack. And when we we didn't have the ball (defending) he'd be at full-back.

I'd love this point to be cleared up as I have all sorts of arrows! :)

What milwallrules said is correct, page 26 of the manual :)

In terms of where they will actually position themselves mentality and forward runs come into it as well. For example if you drop a strikers mentality low enough he'll drop back as if barrowed.

four questions if you dont mind would be a big help.

1. I understand how barrows and farrows work but how would a sarrow on the two outside cms of a 3 cm formation affect how they would play?

sarrow = split the difference so halfway between his current position and the postion the sarrow points to.

width plays a role also.

the effect on how they play and their effectiveness i guess depends on other settings as well as how the opposition is set up. I cba to write it down right now ;) but just visualise how it effects their positioning and it's not a massive logical leap to imagine the impact on passing options and space.

2. Also i remember reading somewhere that if i have my fbs on quite an attacking mentality like a 13 or 14 and put barrows on each would this help to make them defend aswell as attack without the huge farrows?

haven't had a set up like that in a while but that's pretty much as i remember it working. Simple test. Take control of both sides in a test match and split the full backs on both teams between the two methods. Within 20 minutes or so of a full match you should get a feel for behaviour (be aware of ppm effects though).

3. If i have a formation of gk, flat back 4, 3 cms, 1 amc and two strikers playing quite narrow, would it be better to have focus passing through the middle than mixed?

in some respects it depends on the players you've got. Personally i've found that playing wide to create space is not all that necessary when you have a quality squad. But leaving at mixed at least leaves the full backs as an option. If you've got an aerial threat then bombing full backs can be pretty effective in a 4312 especially when full backs get sucked in to close down one of the central midfielders and the opposition winger can't mark to save his life, even crossing from deep to feet for smaller strikers.

4. How do i set up two strikers using one as a tm with ball to feet and the other as a normal fast striker?

i'm sure it's in the faq or tactics bible stickied at the top of the forum. Basically with strikers:-

1. Regardless of mentality or forward runs when play goes deep enough strikers will go on the shoulder of the cbs

2. The purpose of the ball to feet tm is to act as the link in the transition so:-

(i) lower his mentality so he drops off deep when your team is defending

(ii) give him mixed/no forward runs so he holds that position long enough to act as the link up

(iii) if he's reasonably strong and you don't just want him to hit quick balls to the faster strike partner then hub is an option

(iv) if he is an fc give him a free role and see if that helps him in finding space

(v) put him on the opposite side to the holding midfielder in a flat 442 if said player consistently takes the ball from him

(vi) rwb is part of it too, not sure how rwb vs hub works when both are set but best to leave it at mixed if your intention is for him to hold it up

(vi) if you're on the counter then maybe often works so he drops deep, picks it up, runs at the defence and tries to hit his more advanced strike partner with a ball behind the defence (so rwb often, ttb often, passing direct). The only problem here is the effect of his lower mentality on the decision to make the 'riskier pass'.

same kind of thinking for a fast striker except at the opposite end of slider settings.

thanks in advance for any help guys.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions although I doubt I can implement any of it. I really am rubbish at making tactics everytime I try I fail terribly, I dont mean win some lose some I mean I do extremely bad no matter how much I read and how much I try. This years FM is too hard for me to create any decent tactic in, I feel like crying sometimes lol. Thanks once again though I will keep trying.

my two mc's in a 442 seem to be miles apart when defending , why is this?

Post a screenshot it would help.

At a guess:-

1. mentality plus forward runs create separation when transitioning from defending to attacking

2. then when you lose possession closing down plus defensive line settings contribute to your more advanced MC going to close down say a full back.

3. marking settings and OI will then contribute as well as if the opposition push an MC on then your lower mentality MC if set to tight man mark (player instructions or Opposition Instructions) he may follow the more advanced opposition midfielder even dropping back right on top of the back 4

4. the closing down settings of the lower mentality MC will also contribute to the separation. Not necessarily a bad thing if intentionally set up like that

Bear in mind that the variety in the match engine means all of the above are just generalities and when and how it happens can very much depend on how a sequence of play pans out in terms of where a ball drops, who passes to who, whether or not an opposition player runs with the ball and draws one of your MCs out, etc.

Post a screenshot it would help.

At a guess:-

1. mentality plus forward runs create separation when transitioning from defending to attacking

2. then when you lose possession closing down plus defensive line settings contribute to your more advanced MC going to close down say a full back.

3. marking settings and OI will then contribute as well as if the opposition push an MC on then your lower mentality MC if set to tight man mark (player instructions or Opposition Instructions) he may follow the more advanced opposition midfielder even dropping back right on top of the back 4

4. the closing down settings of the lower mentality MC will also contribute to the separation. Not necessarily a bad thing if intentionally set up like that

Bear in mind that the variety in the match engine means all of the above are just generalities and when and how it happens can very much depend on how a sequence of play pans out in terms of where a ball drops, who passes to who, whether or not an opposition player runs with the ball and draws one of your MCs out, etc.

I'll post a screenshot. Bear in mind that both mc have the same settings apart from one has fwr - rarely and rwb - rarely. both about 8 mentality. and about 6 cf.

What are some of the best, generic ways to "close the gap" between teams? Say i'm Alfreton Town from the Blue Square North against Everton in the FA Cup how would i go about setting up my team? I tried switching Alfreton For Stoke on the editor just to see if i could see what i could do but everytime i just got hammered. Mainly corners, long shots and crosses to the far post were how i conceded (i know, almost every possible way to concede) but i could never stop the cross...

There's one thing I've wondered for a long time about "Team Instructions" vs. "Player Instructions". Mentality and Passing can be found under both team instructions and player instructions, is the setting for an individual player always the one that matters or will his setting be influenced by what i choose in the team instructions. For instance:

Lets say I'm AC Milan and the player is Andrea Pirlo:

Team instructions (AC MILAN): short passing

Player Instructions (Andrea Pirlo): normal passing

Will Pirlos passing short, normal, or something in between? Will i have to change all players individual passing to "short" in order to get a short passing game or is it enough to choose "short" under team instructions?

This may be a doubly-stupid question: it's a stupid question, and it may have been asked/answered many times, although I can't find it via search.

What foot is best for corners? If a right-only footed player has a high corner rating, do you have him take corners from the right, left, or both? When I picture it in my mind, I want him taking corners only from the left ... it's hard to use your right foot to take a corner from the right side.

This may be a doubly-stupid question: it's a stupid question, and it may have been asked/answered many times, although I can't find it via search.

What foot is best for corners? If a right-only footed player has a high corner rating, do you have him take corners from the right, left, or both? When I picture it in my mind, I want him taking corners only from the left ... it's hard to use your right foot to take a corner from the right side.

It really depends where you want the ball to be served. Anywhere near 6-yard box (near post, 6-yard, far post) - yes, you are right, ask right-footed player take corners from the left. Anywhere else - "working" foot is not so important.

It really depends where you want the ball to be served. Anywhere near 6-yard box (near post, 6-yard, far post) - yes, you are right, ask right-footed player take corners from the left. Anywhere else - "working" foot is not so important.
Surely the opposite takes effect too Left footed player taking corners from the right hand side?

Sure:)

Btw, is it me or it's trully difficult to find good left footed MCs and DCs?

Yes It is there seems a lack of left footed players everywhere not just FM!!!

Look at the English Leagues & the England National Team

In Player Preferred moves what does "plays with back to goal" mean? What will he do?

Plays with his back to the oppositions goal, so he will generally like holding the ball up and playing others in instead of himself.

Yes he could peak too early. Try and give him as many games as possibly, but unless he is very good in terms of stats maybe restrict him a little more to off the bench apperances for his first proper season with you.

OK, this is great opportunity for a stupid question. what is the problem when player peaks too early?

Hello.

What does RoO and RoT mean? Tnx in advance.

They are mentality systems, the Rule of One and the Rule of Two. For the former, each position is separated from the previous by one mentality notch i.e. DC 5, FB 6, DMC 7, MC, 8 etc. Rule of Two separates by two notches. RoT was popular in FM06 but ME changes have made it unworkable for FM09. RoO still works fine.

^ I tend to get that as well, particularly with more defensive midfielders but to be honest the root cause in mine is my Kevin Keegan balls-to-the-wall philosophy. So my full backs bomb on and there are no options out wide if they do not come back quick enough when an attack breaks down and a deper MC picks up the loose ball. It would make more sense to pass back to one of the defenders but at the moment a few things stop me from calling it an 'issue':-

- not certain that mentality affects it as I have on rare occasion seen my high mentality MC do it

- it doesn't actually happen that often relative to the amount of times the player is in a similar position but stands out because it looks off

- not certain about Creative Freedom or Passing Style influence (my more attacking MC has lots of CF but has passing at 13 so maybe saw that as the option but my more defensive MC has less CF but passing style 6 so was it his lower CF that caused it

- RWB option maybe (rarely vs mixed vs often)

That's all the things I can think of contributing (maybe even tempo or HUB making him give up the pass quickly) but maybe someone who has found the magic combination can help us both :)