FM2013 Not more steam please

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a big fan of it myself, and it was a pain in the arse when I first got it. On the plus side though, I reckon SI made the right move in it being a one-time thing, as opposed to Assassin's Creed games where you can't even play it if the servers are down (which happens at least every fortnight!) So whilst I agree it isn't ideal for us, it's a decent enough middle-ground until alternative "win-win" methods begin to surface.

Good luck with that. I hate Steam - detest the whole idea of it, but I accept that in the long run we're not gonna win that battle.

That being said, I think SI will lose more sales to Steam next year than they think. The typical player of FM is not the typical gamer. A lot of us remember when copy protection was a codewheel, when detailed printed instruction manuals came with the game - the FM Old Guard is a tougher sell when it comes to this intrusive stuff, than teenagers who have never known anything different.

What I'd like to see is old versions of FM/CM up for sale on the site at low prices - permanently. It doesn't cost SI anything to make more copies of old games that they own, and the people who really, really can't deal with Steam will be able to revert to an old version and play the game their way. SI makes money. Gamers get the games they want. Everyone wins, right? Why can't I get a copy of FM 2005 or CM 4 on here?

Good luck with that. I hate Steam - detest the whole idea of it, but I accept that in the long run we're not gonna win that battle.

That being said, I think SI will lose more sales to Steam next year than they think. The typical player of FM is not the typical gamer.

What I'd like to see is old versions of FM/CM up for sale on the site at low prices - permanently. It doesn't cost SI anything to make more copies of old games that they own, and the people who really, really can't deal with Steam will be able to revert to an old version and play the game their way. SI makes money. Gamers get the games they want. Everyone wins, right? Why can't I get a copy of FM 2005 or CM 4 on here?

Well SI cant sell any CM games because they don't own the CM name and you can get the old FM games from amazon and other places.

Yeah, I remember old CM64 games and Win95 games that came with hugely detailed manuals that had answers to trivia questions that you'd have to pass during installation. But anyway, Steam's the most cost-effective anti-piracy measure that SI can turn to. There aren't really too many other options, and I'm not quite sure SEGA would be comfortable with them doing a U-turn anyway.

you can get the old FM games from amazon and other places.

Maybe for now. But those are just old copies being re-circulated, which will become more scarce if people don't buy the new versions because of Steamphobia. What about in 3-4 years?

And it still doesn't answer the question of why they couldn't just sell them for $5-$10 on the site.

Maybe for now. But those are just old copies being re-circulated, which will become more scarce if people don't buy the new versions because of Steamphobia. What about in 3-4 years?

And it still doesn't answer the question of why they couldn't just sell them for $5-$10 on the site.

Because of manufacturing costs. You're not going to pour money into re-producing obsolete versions of a game in the hope that there are people out there who still want to buy it. Sure, they can put them up for download, but they'll need extra bandwidth for that and they'd have to invest in new servers dedicated to hosting these games. It just isn't cost-effective.

Why would they bother pressing new copies of an old game? They're available on Amazon. There are loads of copies available, they aren't going to run out anytime soon. And any company will always try to push their most recent releases over older ones, why would SI be any different?

I think SI should offer their old games (maybe three or four years behind the current game) for a small fee direct from them as a digital download, maybe £5. They don't make any money from second hand sales.

I think SI should offer their old games (maybe three or four years behind the current game) for a small fee direct from them as a digital download, maybe £5. They don't make any money from second hand sales.

I bought CM 0304 to play it on my Mac--even in the manual instructions it says that a Mac exec file should be available when you open the game on a Mac. There's nothing. So I spent $40 on a game I can't play.

Long story short yes, I guess that'd be good. Or better than selling games "Mac ready" when they're not. Digital download all the way.

Regarding Steam, I never had any problems with it until last week--where I had to stop playing my save for an entire week because Steam wouldn't open the game. FM2011. That I bought almost two years ago at full price.

I doubt these threads ever get taken into consideration, though.

Hi, I want to ask for the developer of FM 2013 make posible to install game and play the game without Steam please , because I am tired of crash dump and to verify cache every day from the relaeasea date FM2012, so please in new FM 2013 do no more Steam

Steam is not the cause of any crash dumps its your computer it seems, fix the real problem.

That being said, I think SI will lose more sales to Steam next year than they think. The typical player of FM is not the typical gamer. A lot of us remember when copy protection was a codewheel, when detailed printed instruction manuals came with the game - the FM Old Guard is a tougher sell when it comes to this intrusive stuff, than teenagers who have never known anything different.

Why would they remake there old games with no steam? They have steam to stop people getting the game for free.

you can still by there old games, on the likes of amazon.

I agree that more communication about Mac and Windows Issues and how to resolve them need to be met.

Personally on Windows I've had no issues. And I know people on Mac that have no issues (as well as Windows).

Sometimes, it is down to the computer that's running the software, and some tweaks have to be made to how the computer is setup.

That's just how things are, with all software. I use the entire suite of Adobe programs and I see nothing but issues with users in all levels of software provided from Adobe with both Windows and Mac - and it's almost always an issue with how the users computer is set up.

So yeh, some times you will need to tweak how the computer runs. And SI have been good in helping with that. And Steam has worked very well.

But unfortunately it can't work well for everyone, simply because every computer is different. And if you follow the in SI and Steam instructions things generally work out.

I would like to see a bigger colloboration with Steam and SI - perhaps expert on both sides visiting both forums regularly and upscaling issues where appropriate.

I used to be like you; a Steam sceptic. But Steam is a free download and update service aswell as a store and player community. Steam hosts Football Manager games and updates on their servers and advertises it through their store. In exchange, Sports Interactive give them a cut from sales. It also does a good job in reducing game piracy a little. As you say, FM players are not the typical gamer so are likely not to be as tech savvy (A broad generalisation, but nevertheless...) which means anything that makes piracy a little harder is going to be effective.

Steam holds all of your games in one place and has good customer service when there are problems (Despite a strict no-refund policy, they are quick to keep their customers happy, unlike EA for example). You only need an internet connection when you register the game, which isn't too much to ask in this day and age (Ubisoft's similar service requires a constant internet connection).

It does cost them money whichever way they do it. If they make physical copies they need to manufacture and distribute them. If they make them available for download they need to host them on download servers which costs money. They have probably already considered it, but deduced that the return wouldn't be enough to justify it.

Of course, making them available on Steam would be the most cost-effective solution. So the people who really, really can't deal with Steam won't be any better off.

Fortunately one of the few good side effects of the Win8/ Apple style stores will mean that Steam are wiped out completely.

Hardly, Steam is a lot more than just a game store. By your logic nobody will need itunes anymore because of the Windows store.

Fortunately one of the few good side effects of the Win8/ Apple style stores will mean that Steam are wiped out completely.

No it wont, but it could mean when you fall overyourself to upgrade to win 8 you find you cant play ANY games who dont agree to pay Microsoft for allowing you to instal their software. From what i have read Valve are not considering updating their platform for Win8 as it stands, so anyone not using it will be able to use Steam fine.

Anyway its all hypothetical at the moment.

I think i could personally count on one hand the number of issues i've had with Steam since Half Life 2 came out, thats not to say there are not issues, but personally i have avoided 99% of them. I can only remember one time FM12 didnt work for a few hours when there was an issue with a Steam client update i think, but outwith that mines fires up first time every time.

There are valid reasons to dislike Steam, and I personally wish there was an option to play without it, but it is only a minor irritation for me and I will get FM13 with/without Steam. I assume with as I believe it has been a success in reducing piracy and not reduced sales.

It's unlikely that they will go with anything other than Steam. There will always be some sort of DRM, and while it wasn't 100% for everyone (especially for MAC users) it was incredibly effective. More likely to stick with it, and learn from the previous issues, than pick a new one, and have to make the same mistakes again.

I don't mind steam as I've never had a problem with it plus every time I get a new computer I can just redownload my games. I have older games that aren't through steam and won't be able to move them over to my new comp without buying a new copy.

Steam was successful in doing a number of things SI wanted it to do, particularly leading up to and upon launch, so it's reasonably safe to assume it'll stay.

It has clearly not caused too significant a drop in sales, otherwise I'm sure we'd have seen a rush-released non-Steam version by now. Hell, it may even have caused an increase, thanks to the initial lack of piracy and offers that have been promoted through the platform. I dunno- I'm sure someone would be able to find some vaguely comparable sales figures with a moment or two of research.

Personally, I dislike it and would much prefer not to use it. However, I like FM more, so it's something that I'll put up with. I get the impression I'm not the only one in this camp.

I don't see why people have a problem with Steam. I've only had the game crash twice since release. I play almost every evening as well, so have notched up loads of hours of play.

I like Steam. It makes it easier to play games online with my friends.

Fm will often have more issues with steam than without it so please get rid of it

I found things the other way round, since it moved to steam I have had little issue with it (actually non I can recall so far and I rack up 700+ hours on FM each year).

I think the sales FM gains from steam far outweighs the loss of people because of it.

Steam is indispensable for people who lives in Brazil, like me, or people who lives in places where the game isn't launched officially.

We don't have other ways to buy original FM without Steam, if we don't want to wait six months to stores get the physical game.

Personally, I dislike it and would much prefer not to use it. However, I like FM more, so it's something that I'll put up with. I get the impression I'm not the only one in this camp.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

I don't like Steam as its only redeeming feature for me is that it allows me to play FM (most of the time), which is something I've been able to do perfectly well without Steam for previous versions.

From SI's perpective though, the benefits are huge and I can accept that I'll have to put up with it to play FM.

Can't say I've had any real issues with Steam since I started using it at 15. So about 8 years. Analysing crashes of any game I've been using with Steam, I have never really found Steam itself to be the actual cause of the issue. If I'm being REALLY finicky, I could say that I find it a minor annoyance that I can't for the life of me get Steam to start in Offline Mode for times when my internet connection is down. That's about it.

With the gaming industry becoming more and more reliant on digital downloading to cut down on distribution costs, platforms like Steam are going to be more commonplace, and I've yet to find one that's better. And Valve are at least a semi-respectable company, with generally good support, so I can't disapprove of SI's partnership with them in terms of distributing their game unless such circumstances arise that change my viewpoint.

Archived