so marc, SI, will i get my wish of a larger db?

Haven't really heard much back on this so thought I'd re-open the discussion.

I'm thinking either in an fmh12 update (and will u be doing a transfer update September?) or in fmh13

I'm sure I'm not alone in having the technology to handle a lot more processing plus the desire to have more available players to plunder.

I'm not talking huge amounts, just 1st team squads from the 12 or so key nations in Europe and south America.

You HAVE the players IN your db but theyre mainly inaccessible. Shouldn't be.

Ok, some have slower devices and like smaller dbs but some can handle it. Option shld be there as in fm.

Personally I have to split my time between playing Aston villa with the majority of the squad, and feyenoord where I can manage vlaar, el hamidi and Holman, villas signings.......

Thx in advance!

Neil

P.s. the save with the bug WILL get to you as soon as I can work out how to send it to you via my phone.....

I would imagine FMH2013 has been started and this would be one of the last things on the list as it is just a database update that cannot be done until after the end of the window. Also I don't really think this needed ANOTHER thread, there's so many of these and also the FMH2013 suggestions could have been deemed relevant.

Whatever. Maybe it was overkill, just haven't heard from anyone at si about possibility of lge db. Wld really welcome it.or might have to revert to fm and get a new laptop which I really don't want to do. The players are there in the db just aren't loaded unless you play that particular nation, seems a waste for those of us , not everyone I'll admit, who are in the very lucky position of having extremely powerful devices....

• SI Staff

I thought I'd posted a reply to this previously - any here goes again ;)

Each iteration we attempt to enhance and grow the games database size; it might interest you to know that the database is around DOUBLE the size of the original FMH game because of this. It is not however possible to simply include hundreds of thousands of players into the game without it slowing down to a crawl.

Contrary to popular belief the latest mobile devices are around 1/12th the speed of a AVERAGE desktop PC, that is they're far far slower and thats in a 'best case scenario' - once optimisations and branching are taken into consideration in real-life they're often slower than that.

For certain operations (ie. 3d graphics) they cut mustard fairly well because of specific hardware on high end devices, this however is not the same as raw processor grunt for handling an FM database.

(as such expect the games database to improve in size as we move forward - but not to the extent you're requesting in a short time-frame)

Thanks for the reply, marc. Didn't notice your previous one.....

No, DATABASE SIZE is perfectly ok. I can SEE you've already included the first team squads for all major leagues.

However. I'm Aston villa. I want to add karim el hamidi and Brett Holman to my team, both of whom are based in Holland in fmh12. Can't do if playing English league. So what I'm saying is can we make the entire CURRENT db accessible, ie can I buy any first teamer from key leagues when playing English league. The db is there, sure, but ain't accessible. Personally, and I AM lucky, I have a quad-core 1.5ghz processor which would eat this.

I'm trying my best NOT to buy a laptop and play the completely life-encompassing fm pc version, I want to stick purely to the android platform but I'd really like all these players being available to buy. It's a simple 'option" to include all players from key leagues, should be ok shouldn't it?

• SI Staff
I have a quad-core 1.5ghz processor which would eat this.

You do realise that 1.5Ghz quad core processor is 1/12th the power of an average Desktop PC .... just saying, they present the mobile systems in that manner because they sound equivalent to a laptop/desktop but in reality you can't compare the two any more than saying that a Porche and a Moped are equivalent because they both have petrol engines ;)

Perfectly understood. But my current mobile game is FAR faster than my pc games ever were. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice a bit of speed and have a greater pool of players from which to supplement my squad.

• SI Staff
Perfectly understood. But my current mobile game is FAR faster than my pc games ever were. I'd be more than happy to sacrifice a bit of speed and have a greater pool of players from which to supplement my squad.

We'll do our best to further expand the database and players available - time will tell how far it can be taken, at present we're slightly restricted due to some of the initial design decisions with the original game (which ran on PSP) - within the next few iterations however I expect these will be removed, exactly when I can't predict accurately however at this stage.

My problem with the database is the instances when players are not available in one League only but are in multi leagues.

For example when I have Scotland only loaded I would expect all the players from the small Scottish league to be available.

That's not the case, for Example John Fleck (Rangers) although he was loaned out he was a major future star for Rangers but he is not in the Rangers team when I load Scotland only but he is when you load England only or multi leagues.

It's makes no sense that a Scottish player is NOT on the Scottish only database but is on others

If things like that were fixed then the database would be perfect.

The only thing I care about is the regen system. Please no more waiting around for people to retire just to sign their regen, it ruins the longevity of the game because there's no chance of anything being different as you can just sign the same regens over and over in your games. :)

We'll do our best to further expand the database and players available - time will tell how far it can be taken, at present we're slightly restricted due to some of the initial design decisions with the original game (which ran on PSP) - within the next few iterations however I expect these will be removed, exactly when I can't predict accurately however at this stage.

Thanks marc. I'm trying to be pure paul Lambert villa: looking for gems in the major European leagues, and can't easily do that in the current game.

Db itself doesn't need expanding. All the players I want to consider signing are there, they're just greyed out. My phone cld handle all players in top divisions of the major leagues. Surely an "option" to make these players active isn't a huge programming quandry?

• SI Staff
This issue would be solved, at least in part, if android users were able to load multiple leagues, like our Apple loving cousins :)

Is there any chance of this feature being included in FMH 2013 for android?

Its something I'm looking into - the main problem with this is that unlike iOS Android has a non-dynamic heapsize for its applications, this is set fairly small by default which limits the available memory.

There IS a larger heap setting available - but its OS4.0+ only which would mean making two applications (ie. one with a normal sized heap and one with a large heap) and doubling our QA for the product, which frankly with Android being a very niche product in comparison to iOS (ie. we only sell a small fraction of units on Android in comparison to iOS) is a hard argument to make.

(watch this space - it might happen, but it'll be dependant on the resources and time available for the games development)

Didn't realise android was niche and therefore we should be grateful. I'm running 4.0 or even higher have android updates installed.

I did a fair big of programming back in the 80s. Yup, things have changed but I understand the general algorithms.

Players ARE there I just want them active and available to buy/them develop. Don't care how this slows my game as my pc games were usually v.slow.

Really need be able to buy "gems" from France and Holland, seasoned internationals don't give me the same buzz.....

And I REALLY don't want to go back to pc fm would take over my life.....

FMH hasn't been available on Android for very long so, with a bit of luck, it will become less niche as awareness of it spreads. I'm not sure what the comparative figures are for ownership of android handsets vs iPhones are, but they can't be too far apart.

This we realise. However fmh has only been on android since May. Should some of.these changes we desire get implemented into the game the theory is that android fmh sales will eventually outstrip those of the ios....

• 2 weeks later...

Back again to the main point. It seems crazy to have first teamers from major leagues greyed out.

I'm an Aston villa fan. We've just appointed Michael henke as European scouting head. We'll be able to uncover gems in Germany France and the Netherlands. I'd like to do that in my fmh game. We don't need a larger db, just greater accessibility to the players already in it. Surely more active players won't slow the game down much? And could be a choice/option. Even make the scouting worthwhile so scouting a region will allow less greyed out players in that region?

• SI Staff

I've already explained things in this regard and indicated its not something which is easy to change in the short-term.

(there is a BIG difference between storage memory and active RAM - one is like having a bookcase full of books, the other is like trying to remember all of the information within them yourself - yes we have that information on storage, but the game can't remember it all at once so what you're indicating is irrelevant I'm afraid)

I'm closing this thread as theres little point continually reiterating this every few weeks.

Archived