Players on a Backup contract demanding first team action

This is perhaps just a symptom of my American sporting vernacular, but when I sign a player to a Backup contract I expect they'll be okay with riding the end of the bench and earning their paycheck quietly.

Backups are backups because they don't play unless a lot of people get hurt, I'd rather not have them out there at all if I can help it. Sure, I throw them a start or some minutes off the bench on infrequent occasions when it really doesn't matter who is out there, but it's never enough for them.

Granted, I'd understand completely if I had a player on First Team status or Rotation that I then downgraded to Backup. They'd have different expectations. But a guy I sign off the street who has always had the Backup status to begin with ought to accept that role I think. If they wouldn't be happy, they shouldn't take the role and demand a bigger role during negotiations. Failing that, I'd advocate a level between Not Needed and Backup called "Depth" that means basically what I've said I expect out of Backups. I'm sure there are plenty of players out there with the right combination of attributes, age, and reputation who would take just such a role at any given club.

For the curious, the complainers this year are Michael Owen (shoulda known with that one), Mark Wilson, Paul Robinson, Zat Knight (finally broke in to the squad and shut up) and David James.

It's safe to assume any backup players will want to eventually make the step up if their reputation or hidden stats warrant them asking. An oldie with a high rep will still want to be featured occasionally and mediocre players with high ambition will whine to get in the team.

It's just one of those things, I used to like having players with a decent reputation as backups but now I prefer youth, they moan less and you can always loan them out if they do.

It's safe to assume any backup players will want to eventually make the step up if their reputation or hidden stats warrant them asking. An oldie with a high rep will still want to be featured occasionally and mediocre players with high ambition will whine to get in the team.

It's just one of those things, I used to like having players with a decent reputation as backups but now I prefer youth, they moan less and you can always loan them out if they do.

Yeah it's safe to say I've learned my lesson and altered my expectations, but with veterans I do get some decent tutoring out of the equation for my headaches. Ambition is ambition, and I suppose I should pay more attention to reputation when picking out guys for depth.

Or just deal with the complainers as usual and sell them/let them go at the end of their contracts like I usually do. Just needed to vent.

Has your coach suggested that they should be given a chance as a result of exceling in training?

In these cases, no. That said, they were doing fine in training especially Paul Robinson with his 20 Determination.

Players with good personalities normally react well, when you tell them they are being unprofessional when they complain. If not you just sell them. In the end, 99% of players want to play.

There could be a slight adjustment though. Eg. I sign a 32+yr old average keeper as 3rd back up on low wages for a year. He knows what he's getting into. Highly unlikely he will get any games if the 1st and 2nd choice don't get injuries. But what does he do, he complains 6 months later for lack of playing time.

I think if a player knows he can still play at a good club as the 1st teamer, then I can see where they are coming from.

Use youth as backups? They're much more patient about getting a run in the first team.

I'm not too sure if it's professionalism that the key for backup roles. At my UTD file, Giggs, Scholes and Ferdinand all were happy to settle into a backup role and they all promtly resigned into staff positions at the end of the season on realisiation they weren't going to cut the mustard anymore. Carrick on the other hand immediately asked for a move about half way through the season, to be fair he's a first teamer at recently relegated and re-promoted Aston Villa. I'm guessing the first three didn't mind staying at a club and enjoying a retirement, but Carrick wanted to stay out there for ages (kinda like Owen is doing IRL at the moment.)

Yeah I definitely understand where they're coming from.

Still, I do think a "Depth" squad level which means - effectively - "will never complain about not playing and happily ply trade in reserves, tutoring younguns and earning a paycheck" would be a nice, small addition.

Archived