What's your best ever feeling on Football Manager?

As the title suggests, what's your best ever feeling on Football Manager?

For me, the moment when your Brazilian wonderkid comes back after three years on loan at your feeder club and he finally has a work permit. The waiting just seems to make it so much better when he finally can play. Of course if he starts bagging goals straight away it helps as well :)

To date? Winning the Champions League final in the last minute with Blackpool after losing it 3-0 the season before. What made it all better was that the player who scored it was a long-term servant, who had already agreed to leave the club at the end of the season (Bullet header from a corner). Brilliant.

To date?

No in the future...

Winning the Seria A with a youngish Roma team on the third time of asking. I'd taken it to the last day the two season before only to miss out one after losing the Juve who in turn won the league and another where there was three of us on the same points going into the last game. I won but so did the other two finished 3rd.

Went onto to win the league narrowly the year after as well as the Champions League. Was a good save that one.

Having my 'keeper make a point blank save in the 92nd minute as my Championship Torquay were being hammered 2-2 by billionaires Man City in the League Cup final only for the ball to be frown out to my pacey striker who... you can guess the rest.

What can I say, I yelped!

Going into the unknown in Europe when still in the Championship the following season was pretty awesome too.

Winning the Champion's league in my first season as Arsenal. Played against R Madrid in the final and expected getting slaughtered, then Pepe got a red card in the first 3 mins, followed by Alonso and Ozil for complaining. That was a good day :D

Both of the following elicit the same amount of joy.

1) Scoring a game winning or game tying goal in the closing seconds of a game.

2) Overturning a 2+ goal deficit to win.

Right now might be one of my happiest FM moments/phases ever! At the end of last season I have finally designed a tactic myself which seems to work. Ever since I'm in a wonderland. I won the domestic cup a few weeks later, now in the new season I'm on a winning streak, I can exchange my players all I want, goals are nicely distributed amongst the squad, even my young prospects from my youth academy get a lot of playing time. That's what I play FM for!

The announcement of a new stadium. Named after me of course.

This (but named after me rather than Dafuge)

Closely followed by winning my 5th CL Final with Liverpool at Anfield, the last game ever played there as I moved into my new stadium the following season.

Next would be seeing my Brazilian striker become World PotY. I bought him at 15 for £7m, waited three years for him to arrive and then another 2 out on loan to get his work permit. He finally got to play for me 5 years after signing him and he was already a beast. Went on to become my best ever player, always getting at least 30 goals a season. Seeing this kind of youth investment pay off is a great feeling.

Stadium named after me. Not managed to do it on FM12 though even though I've had 4 stadiums built on different saves.

I've actually played long enough on FM12 to knock fergie off top of hall of fame. I normally get bored and stop playing a save but I haven't had that issue this time around.

Winning the 2nd of my 5 CLs with my 'Magical Milan', not just because it was against Inter (who we had also just beaten in the Italian Cup), but because we were behind in extra-time, I'd gambled on a formation switch at the end of normal time and the player who I brought on got the equalizer, and then an assist as we turned it around with 3 goals in the last 8 minutes. A very sweet way to win. We ran it even closer with penalties over Man City the following year, and hammering them 7-0 for the 5th and last title, but it's the Inter final that felt best.

Right now might be one of my happiest FM moments/phases ever! At the end of last season I have finally designed a tactic myself which seems to work. Ever since I'm in a wonderland. I won the domestic cup a few weeks later, now in the new season I'm on a winning streak, I can exchange my players all I want, goals are nicely distributed amongst the squad, even my young prospects from my youth academy get a lot of playing time. That's what I play FM for!

I agree. Once in the Championship I had league fixtures, domestic cup fixtures and the Europa League to contend with. There was only 4 midweeks before the final month of the season where I didn't have games. I got round this by having two different teams. Joyous.

Oh how could I forget! Limping through the play-off semis in League 2 with morale decimated and quality of play turgid then overcoming Luton Town 8-0. Pure dominance, and the cavalier decision to place a left wing youngster on the right payed off handsomely. Football is not supposed to be this beautiful.

Winning the title with Sunderland on the second season in FM09. For whatever reason my title rivals Arsenal had their last game against Liverpool a day after mine. They needed a win to take the title, anything else and I would have got it. The fine details of most of the game are a bit sketchy but I watched that game in full. Liverpool took the lead in the first half and Arsenal equalised fairly early on in the second half. But the moment of heart stopping goal mouth action came 1 minute from the end of the 90 minutes when Eduardo went clean through on goal, nobody around him and all he had to do was slot the ball past Reina and the title was their's... He hit the post from no more that 10 yards out and I almost leaped out of my chair. I knew that Arsenal wouldn't get another chance and I won the title by a single point.

Doesn't quite live up to City's rather remarkable come back against QPR but that moment will stick with me

The announcement of a new stadium. Named after me of course.

Ditto! It happened to me at Gillingham, well, about 6 months after I left Gillingham... I spent 2 seasons praying that my successor would leave, and he did, 4 months before the new stadium opened. I quickly applied and got the job.

Scrolled through the history to see the first team I played competetively as Gills manager, and invited them to play in a friendly to open the new stadium. Was a great feeling.

Torquay United - and the buggers had the audicity to score first in MY stadium :( although I did win 3-1 with goals from all 3 of my legendary players (only squad players now but had been with the club for so long!

When my 17 year old AMC that i had from 15 (but had struggled to find any form in the handfull of games he had played over the 2 previous years) nets a hattrick on the first game of the season, followed by a goal a game for the next 4, despite being my 4th choice AMC if everyone else is fit or available.

Stadium built after me.

But my best would be winning the champions league with Rangers in FM09. It was the manner of the journey. Watching games on full and really using tactical knowledge to come out on top over superior competition. Then in the final being totally outclassed by Barca, bombarding my goal. Last 15 mins my star striker decides he wants to win the game. 2 shots, two goals, ended 2-1. Was so great as I could see the changes I made as the game was on 'full match'. I really got into that particular campaign.

As it was a longterm save, we later went and won 5 champs leagues in a row. Kind of ruined it due to lack of competition.

Securing survival on the final day of the season when all looked lost with 10 minutes to go, beats winning any trophy all day long.

To add to my post earlier, another great moment for me hasn't long since happened in my career save...............

After leading Manchaester City to more than ten trophies in four seasons, Manchester United's manager retired. With City I had just achieved my goal that I set for myself when I joined the club; to win the Champions League. (Note, this wasn't possible in the first season as they weren't in Euope at all). With the chance to manage the team I support, I decided to apply, and when offered the job, take it.

Not that special I hear you say? Well, despite crossing the divide to their bigget rivals, I have remained on the "Icons" list at City. That to me is a great moment.

The best feeling in FM has to be the satisfaction of winning a major competition with a smaller club you've built up. On FM2012 I managed to turn Luch Vladivostok from the far east of Russia into league champions, as well as causing some Champions League shocks.

My best success though came on FM2007 when I won the Champions League with Hammerfest of Norway. They started in the 3rd tier, and it took 14 seasons of hard work, but it was well worth it.

Beating current league and CL holders Man City 5-4 on aggregate in CL semi final. I lost the first leg 4-1 and it was 0-0 at half time in the second leg then we just simply battered them, 3 goals in 10 mins put us in charge before they got an injury time penalty. I screamed with delight as it was saved and screamed even louder when it was punted up the other end and the tie was put to bed.

I've had a couple of previous posts in this thread already with "best ever feeling" moments, and here's another I'd kind of forgot about; clicky!

Again, this is from my current FM12 career. 2-0 down at the break in the World Cup final, and ran out 4-2 winners. :cool:

My FM11 careers had some great moments, back-to-back Champions Leagues with Roma was great, winning the World Cup with my own Portugal after beating Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Spain in the knockouts was fantastic, breaking into the knockout rounds of the Champions League with Olimpija Osijek of Croatia was great too.

But my best still was leading Croatia to World Cup glory a few FMs back. That was the one time I really felt like I accomplished something special. Unfortunately don't think I still have any remainders of it like screenshots.

Just growing a club. Watching the attendance and reputation rise as we rise through the divisions. Currently 3rd in the npower League One with Durham City in 2020, already classed as a legend with the club, using a lower leagues DB, taken Durham over as relegation candidates in Evo-Stik Northern Div 1 at start of game. Seeing my bargain buys turn into decent league players, overseeing a new 6'000 capacity stadium build "The Durham Stadium" (very original I know).

Just looking at the league table and seeing QPR, Nottm Forest then Durham City. Im close to leaving however, I fancy a crack at the MLS. Will probably consolidate them in the Championship and resign.

Another great feeling I had came in a hotseat games with 2 friends. I got sacked (unfairly) by Liverpool (this isn't the great feeling btw) and ended up taking a job at Leicester, struggling in 18th in the Championship in December. I turned them around, reaching the playoffs that season but not getting promoted and the following season I won the league. First game in the PL ironically was against Liverpool at Anfield. I had a point to prove and did so, taking a 2-0 victory away.

Very satisfying.

• 1 year later...

Archived