Tightest finish

Just wondering if there have been many finishes to a league season quite this tight across quite so many teams.

If you don't care about the context, don't read this paragraph: This came up on my current FM2012 save, where I edited to give Basingstoke loads of money. However, they entered financial difficulties when the backer I edited in pulled out, so I quit and got the job at Newcastle who had been relegated to the Championship and were in lower midtable on 19 points from 15 games. I took them on a disastrous run gaining just 10 points from my first 11 games, but suddenly it began to click and I took 43 from a possible 54. I then found myself in this incredibly tight promotion scramble ...

After 44 games:

2tg.jpg

(Rather bizarrely, the previous game had been Norwich H; they equalised late on, and I saw my team drop from 3rd to 7th in the live table, which with 2 games left, was basically what brought my attention to how tight things were)

After 45 games:

1tgn.jpg

For anyone that cares, here were the final fixtures:

finfix.jpg

What happened in the end: I lost to Everton, which allowed them to secure promotion. Swansea won though, so I could not have gone up with a win, which was nice to know in a way. Despite this, I did finish 5th and met Bristol City in the semi final, whilst Leeds finished 6th and thus met Swansea. I thrashed Bristol City 5-0 at home, and even a much weakened version of my side which I put out won 3-2 at theirs in the return leg, making an aggregate 8-2 victory. In the final, I met Swansea, who were the only team other than Everton to beat me in the last 20 league matches. I went for all out attack and relied on my strikers' confidence off the back of the Bristol matches to do the job (and also because my defence was a mess thanks to injuries). I racked up a quick 2-0 lead; as the team tired, I became a little more defensive. Swansea got a goal back on 80 minutes, and appeared to equalise in the 92nd, only for the ref to penalise them for a foul somewhat harshly. Now preparing for the Premier League after all.

Anyway, anyone had anything quite as tight or possibly tighter?

I see that for the table in the OP :)

But I was refering to the one posted by AcidBurn :)

I'm not sure, I thought it might have been because I took the screenshot before continuing after the match but it can't be that because Fulham had to win on the last day to get into the play-off's.

Archived