+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How should I take this comment?

  1. #1
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    204

    Question How should I take this comment?

    I often get other managers commenting "It's hard to really understand [my team], they tend to get good results but often give the impression that they're over-achieving", but I'm not sure that if its a compliment or a knock.

    I'm guessing it's the latter, but how do we give the impression of overachieving? Does it mean that in spite of our good results, we don't play well? My guys have great ratings though. Is it playing down to competition? Or is it that our rep doesn't match our success yet?

  2. #2
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    28th October 2009
    Location
    http://footballmanagerhowto.wordpress.com
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sixsecondsleft View Post
    I often get other managers commenting "It's hard to really understand [my team], they tend to get good results but often give the impression that they're over-achieving", but I'm not sure that if its a compliment or a knock.

    I'm guessing it's the latter, but how do we give the impression of overachieving? Does it mean that in spite of our good results, we don't play well? My guys have great ratings though. Is it playing down to competition? Or is it that our rep doesn't match our success yet?
    I've been getting this a lot while managing Athletic Club. I take it as an insult, and proceed to **** off the manager that said it.

  3. #3
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I've never replied to any other manager's comments, but good know that I'm not the only one who takes it that way. Since they seem to say it after I've just beaten them, they can keep saying it all they want. May have to comment at some point just for fun though.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    2nd November 2009
    Posts
    5,412

    Default

    I'd take it as a backhanded compliment, so I would almost certainly view that manager as an enemy (unless he had a player I wanted to sign)

  5. #5
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th July 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    205

    Default

    It seems to be when your team is performing higher than what the media predicted you would, though only in mid-season, so you haven't cemented your finishing position. I notice their comments change later in the season to, "(managers name ) is doing well at (clubs name ) while working with a small side ".
    So take it as they don't know what to make of you yet and are reserving the right to wait till more of the season has been played. A precursor to praise, look at their profile and more often then not, it says said manager thinks the two of you could become friends.

  6. #6
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatecoatedballs View Post
    It seems to be when your team is performing higher than what the media predicted you would, though only in mid-season, so you haven't cemented your finishing position. I notice their comments change later in the season to, "(managers name ) is doing well at (clubs name ) while working with a small side ".
    So take it as they don't know what to make of you yet and are reserving the right to wait till more of the season has been played. A precursor to praise, look at their profile and more often then not, it says said manager thinks the two of you could become friends.
    Interesting. I checked, and the last manager has "no opinion" of me. I've been getting this comment for years, and they've been successful seasons. I think you are right though, that I'm still viewed as a lower rep club, although my success in Europe and domestically for years now should say otherwise.

  7. #7
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th July 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    205

    Default

    What was the media prediction? Or take a look and see where your team is rated.
    I get it constantly, then as I say they end up pretty much complementing me near the end of the season .

  8. #8
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    28th October 2009
    Location
    http://footballmanagerhowto.wordpress.com
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatecoatedballs View Post
    It seems to be when your team is performing higher than what the media predicted you would...

    ...A precursor to praise, look at their profile and more often then not, it says said manager thinks the two of you could become friends.
    Funnily enough, when I get that comment it is usually 'X has a fairly poor opinion of you'.

    Also, the comment that annoys me just as much is 'doesn't enjoy the style of football that [manager name] plays' or something to that effect. My side are playing high tempo, short passing, pressing football, yet they don't like it. Obviously the AI are stupid.

  9. #9
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th July 2010
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Lol TacticalGenius, I usually get that message after beating them 4-0 or something.
    Of course he didn't like it :P

  10. #10
    Amateur
    Join Date
    8th August 2008
    Posts
    872

    Default

    I got the "Bath tries to pass the ball around too much instead of putting it in" (or something to that effect) ... after I just beat Alfreton 7-1 *lol*

  11. #11
    Semi Pro
    Join Date
    6th April 2007
    Posts
    2,871

    Default

    Its annoying when the press ask for a response but there is nothing to select, so instead you need to pick another topic to talk about. I wish the press/journalists would ask questions instead of us picking topics. More manager interaction/ mind games would be a welcome addition.

  12. #12
    Reserves
    Join Date
    24th February 2003
    Posts
    14,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StormenDK View Post
    I got the "Bath tries to pass the ball around too much instead of putting it in" (or something to that effect) ... after I just beat Alfreton 7-1 *lol*
    I hate that. Surely it's implemented the wrong way round or something? I never see that message except when I've just annihilated somebody.

  13. #13
    Part-Timer
    Join Date
    5th September 2009
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    I like how even though i have the title won 6 seasons in a row with minimal changes in the squad ,almost always an improvement, they say my team doesnt look like challenging for the title

  14. #14
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatecoatedballs View Post
    What was the media prediction? Or take a look and see where your team is rated.
    I get it constantly, then as I say they end up pretty much complementing me near the end of the season .
    I'll have to watch the next time it happens. I'm surprised they can be so surprised at my success year after year. At some point, I'd think they'd learn.

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalGenius View Post
    Funnily enough, when I get that comment it is usually 'X has a fairly poor opinion of you'.

    Also, the comment that annoys me just as much is 'doesn't enjoy the style of football that [manager name] plays' or something to that effect. My side are playing high tempo, short passing, pressing football, yet they don't like it. Obviously the AI are stupid.
    Nice style. I do the same, the AI hates it... and I love it. It's much more fun beating those manager's that have to say they don't like it. How do you line up? 4-3-3?

  15. #15
    Amateur
    Join Date
    15th November 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    204

    Default

    I've just won my 4th trophy of the season including the EPL title with a game to go, and my final opposition gives me this comment again! haha

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts