Has your GK ever had an avg rating above 7.00 for a season?

Here is my club's games vs goals allowed (year - games/conceded) for the last few seasons in the league:

2013/2014 - 38/45

2014/2015 - 38/46

2015/2016 - 38/41

2016/2017 - 38/34

2017/2018 - 26/16

Here are my three main GKs I've used in this time including shutouts (games/conceded/cleansheets) and avg rating:

2013/14 - 22/22/8 - 6.81

2014/15 - 11/12/4 - 6.90

2014/15 - 27/33/9 - 6.83

2015/16 - 15/13/6 - 6.75

2015/16 - 23/27/11 - 6.86

2016/17 - 15/16/6 - 6.67

2016/17 - 10/8/6 - 6.74

2016/17 - 12/10/6 - 6.70

2017/18 - 20/12/10 - 6.85

To me, these are good numbers from good keepers, but especially my current one. I've even had my coaches tell me to drop any one of them due to poor play when they are barely conceding and not making mistakes--only because their rating says 6.60 for some odd reason.

I used to play them as sweeper keeper with support duty, but for the last season or two, just goalkeeper and defend, which is their "optimal" position. Do these ratings seem justified? To me, it seems impossible for a goalie to have a good rating, but I'd like to hear what others are experiencing.

Not sure I have. Either the team is really dominant and the keeper doesn't see it (if i'm a big team) or my keeper isn't that good (when i'm a lower league side).

Trouble is if you are top he might not have much to do because your side is so good.

This might be the case, since quite a few games I don't see the opposition taking many (or any) shots on goal. I still don't want my coaches telling me to bench the keeper, although I am pretty good at ignoring them.:)

It's always annoyed me that defenders seem to get an artificial bonus in ratings when they keep a clean sheet, but keepers don't. The whole player rating system needs an overhaul, but particularly for keepers and central midfielders.

I wonder what goalkeepers are rated on, because my keeper has the highest pass completion rating out of any player in the league (I tell him to kick short) and he has made some great saves and kept a number of clean sheets, yet he's only on a 6.91 for my current season.

Did he usually get tested a lot when he has these ratings? What kind of tactic and keeper role do you use?

I wouldnt say alot but usually it involves my defense having a break down and him bailing us out on a sure goal against. A few brilliant saves in a game and he goes above 7.00 as long as he keeps a clean sheet. I use default tactics and default keeper role. lol i didnt even know there was more then 1 keeper role. Going to be checking that when I get home lol

My keeper wouldn't be far off it, if I remember I'll check later on. I often have the opposition goalie getting a rating of 8 or more versus me though (Three matches ago, ChievoVerona's goalie had a 9.4) - my own goalie never has that happen.

lol maybe its time for some new coaches.. that will teach them ;)

It might, but they're quite good at training, so I may just avoid backroom meetings instead.:p

My keeper wouldn't be far off it, if I remember I'll check later on. I often have the opposition goalie getting a rating of 8 or more versus me though (Three matches ago, ChievoVerona's goalie had a 9.4) - my own goalie never has that happen.

I've had a share of great keeper performances against me, but I can usually still squeak out a result.:)

i made a post about this before.As i find when your a team playing well so your GK has less to do the they get lower ratings , but if your a team doing worse and your GK has more to do they tend to get higher ratings, but even if you are dominating and your GK is doing what is required of him since its so little he can actually do he gets lower ratings so your ass man still see it as a low rating so asked to drop him, IMO GK should have a higher starting stats say if they start at a 7 then if they do bad and concede/make mistakes they go lower but if they have nothing to do and do what is needed they sill get the 7, that or your coaches/ass man dont keep tellign you to drop him since its hard for GK to get good ratings when they get very little shots on them

2013/14: Hugo Lloris - 51 GP, 28 Conceded, 32 Clean Sheets, 7.00 Average (But only a 6.91 in EPL)

2014/15: Hugo Lloris - 49 GP, 32 Conceded, 25 Clean Sheets, 7.07 Average (Also 7.07 in EPL)

I think, regardless of shots faced, a clean sheet should automatically garner a 7.0 average.

7.4 is the best I've seen on a goalie, and he was brought on the team in January transfer window. He was absolutely superb in many matches but the average always goes down because of the sheer amount of matches where the GK ends up with 6.9.

The GK gets over 7.0 ratings only if he is tested. I once got a 9.0 for my keeper in a game I had no shots on goal and the opponents had about 10. So the higher the rating of the GK is, the worse his team is.

Not strictly true. It's more to do with if he makes saves. For instance, you can win easily 3-0, but if your goalkeeper makes two good saves then he will more than likely get a rating higher than 7.00

in my dover game when I got to league 1 I signed antonio adan he conceded 28 in 38 with 22 clean sheets he received a 7.09 we went on to win the league easily however he still had stuff to do

in the championship he conceded 34 in 41 and 19 clean sheets going far into the cups he received a 7.15

so yeah it is definitely possible the strange thing is i didn't even think he made too many saves he was accurate with his passing but it seemed like every other shot on target went in so take it for what its worth. The ratings for GK's needs to be fixed really

I see it's definitely possible, but now I'm curious if anyone's GK ever lead the team with a highest avg rating, or is your GKs rating generally lower than your outfielder players? Like dafuge said, the rest of his squad was considerably higher, which is always my case as well. So, is it true for your keeper to get over a 7, the rest of your squad would probably have to be like 7.5?

Certainly the rest of the squad has much higher ratings than the keeper. I have rarely seen him get high ratings during games, even despite making a few saves. My guess is they weren't of the difficult nature. ;) On my current Arsenal team, Szcezesny is my current no.1 and 4 seasons in he has had:

11/12: 7.02

12/13: 6.97

13/14: 7.17

14/15: 6.92 (ongoing)

What I have noticed is when he gets above 7.00, he has been named Man of the match...in his case twice in both seasons. He also had one more clean sheet compared to the middle season, yet he conceded less that season! The rest of the squad usually have about 7.30+.

228207_10150572187365268_607000267_18008060_1953264_n.jpg

The wonderful Amauri.

231048_10150610668290268_607000267_18335833_8310486_n.jpg

7.18 career average.

384177_10150918027650268_607000267_21210932_764711041_n.jpg

The unrivalled Viviano with a 7.21 career average, no goal scoring antics to boost his average either. He was a machine for me.

Honourable mentions to Spada and Di Cecco as well for breaking the 7.00 mark.

It's always annoyed me that defenders seem to get an artificial bonus in ratings when they keep a clean sheet, but keepers don't. The whole player rating system needs an overhaul, but particularly for keepers and central midfielders.
agreed, its long overdue that SI take a good look at this part of the game

as for my own save, Ruffier have had 3 sessions with a rating between 7.00 and 7.07, but it have gotten worse over the last couple of years dispite him holding more clean sheets, which I would assume is down to my team and my own tactical aproch improving slowly

JosManuelReinaHistory_CareerStats.jpg

Reina is one of the most consistant keepers in the game but as mentioned even top keepers cannot get ratings comparable to outfield players. I think the problem comes from the fact that keepers never get the ratings boost that a overwhelming victory brings to the outfield players. The first game of my new season is a an example, we thrash Everton 8-1 and Reina gets 7.3 while the outfield players average 9+.

At Dundee Utd (easy league) my goalkeeper has 7.05 average rating over 301 games, the one before had 7.01 over 238. So the keeper doesnt necesserily need to be "tested" to still score well. The current one has won european goalkeeper of the year five seasons running.

At Truro (In EPL) the best ever goalkeeper rating is 7.19 over 310 games, and another had 7.10 over 752 games.

They may be lower than outfield averages, but does it really matter? they still have some relative effectiveness deciphering compared to each other.

Eariler on, my goalkeeper saved a penalty, kept a clean sheet and got a 6.8. We also had a run of 6 successive clean sheets which he needed to make a few saves obviously and I think the highest I saw him get was a 6.9. Possibly, the only reason for this is he tends to tip shots over the bar instead of catch them... Central defenders keeping a clean sheet get at least a 7.4...

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/297430-Keeper-ratings-Time-for-a-change?highlight=keeper+ratings

I started that thread last year when I noticed that many of the players winning goalie of the year were averaging under a 7.0 for the year. According to FM, a rating in the 6.7-6.9 range is "okay," so apparently the best goalies in the world don't play all that well!

A side effect of this, though, is that goalie values never seem to increase very much in my experience, particularly when compared to an outfield player that hits the 7.0 mark.

Coming from an ice hockey perspective, this does play into the debate about goalies that are actually talented vs goalies that are "good enough" to take care of what the team in front of him can't. I'm sure there is the same debate in football.

The mechanism to rate goalkeeper's certainly needs improving if keeper's are finding themselves in the firing line from fans spokesperson or coaching staff despite good statistics (clean sheets/conceeded/etc...)

One of the supposed hallmark's of a good performance is making a save late on, despite relative inactivity in a game. If the game could discern this, that would be incredible. A keeper receiving a rating of 8 for playing solidly but making 1 vital save late in the game to maintain a clean sheet/secure a win, would be a much more realistic representation of the way that keeper's are viewed in the media. Could the game recognise this? That's a question for the coders/programmers!

Part of the issue seems to stem from how random the ratings can be: I've had games where the opponent hasn't registered a single shot and had ratings from 7.0 to 6.7. I've had games where my keeper gives up one goal out of ten (on target) and still come away with a 6.8...and other times give up two goals on 3 shots and come away with a 7.4.

Part of the issue seems to stem from how random the ratings can be: I've had games where the opponent hasn't registered a single shot and had ratings from 7.0 to 6.7. I've had games where my keeper gives up one goal out of ten (on target) and still come away with a 6.8...and other times give up two goals on 3 shots and come away with a 7.4.

But his rating will be a reflection of his distribution, successful catches:catch attempts, any mistakes, the ease of the saves he's had to make, etc....

I have been playing with Columbis Crew, I have 474 to 141 goal ratio. Playing with mostly Will Hesmer. Statistically not the best keeper, but if you find a good goalkeeping coach(18-20) you will get very good results, as long as you keep a good rotation.(2-1 is what I play with my back-up) his average for most seasons is 7.10~7.40 depending on how many friendly games.

If GK ratings are going to be accurate the AI that assess player performance is going to need to be quite advanced and make judgement calls. All goals conceded aren't alike. A Goal keeper who saves five shots in a match before being beaten by a lucky bounce or an unstoppable long shot has had a good game one who saves five shots but allows a tame effort to dribble in because he wasn't concentrating and saw it to late just made his previous good work irrelevant.

Archived