+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has there ever been a part-time club in the Champions League Group Stages before?

Amateur

Default Has there ever been a part-time club in the Champions League Group Stages before?

I'm asking this because I'm managing Havnar Bóltfelag at the moment who are a part-time club from the Faroe Islands and we got through the first two phases into the Champions Playoff. I barely got past NK Maribor of Slovenia in the first phase and I beat FC Basel 4-1 over the two legs in the second phase. Maccabi Haifa are the last club in my way from the first appearance of a Faroese club in the Champions League Group Stages, so I'm getting a bit excited.

Amateur

That's pretty good going mate. I've never played as a part-time club apart from TMS in the Welsh league and got smashed in the first qualifying round. Good luck!! Let me know what happens!

Amateur

Great job! Hope you make it through.

Well, while I don't know about the Champions League, the Europa League certainly has, Shamrock Rovers last season for example.

Semi Pro

I think Shamrock Rovers are a fully professional club.

Amateur

What? The League of Ireland isn't professional is it? Convinced they said that every god damn time they were on telly during that run.

Semi Pro

I'm pretty sure at least a couple of the Dublin clubs are professional, though most of the league is semi-pro.

Amateur

Wiki says professional too, damn. Alright, then I have no idea :/

Youth Team

Ireland have had a few professional teams, although they did go bust, and I think Derry were kicked out of the league for producing false documents to hide their financial issues.

Shamrock Rovers is a full professional club.

Semi Pro

TNS is also a professional club, currently the only one in the WPL since Neath folded and the end of last season.

Amateur

I'm fairly certain that there's never been a semi-pro team in the Champions League group stages.

Part-Timer
    In a virtual world as a FM manager or a soldier on CoD

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    I'm asking this because I'm managing Havnar Bóltfelag at the moment who are a part-time club from the Faroe Islands and we got through the first two phases into the Champions Playoff. I barely got past NK Maribor of Slovenia in the first phase and I beat FC Basel 4-1 over the two legs in the second phase. Maccabi Haifa are the last club in my way from the first appearance of a Faroese club in the Champions League Group Stages, so I'm getting a bit excited.
    I wonder if you made it!

Amateur

Not in the Champions league yet but I brought my home town club from the depths of Irish football and now I'm in the Europa league group stages as a part time club, with a massive 1000 capacity stadium to rake in that money.

+ Reply to Thread