Help for the helpless..........please

I've made a few startes on FM12 and have failed. Can someone please offer some help?

Briefly, I play with Ipswich in the Championship. After squad transformation, coaches say most/all players are good/leading Championship players. Have tried 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 deep (my preferred) 4-2-3-1 Asymetric, with different approaches - always underperformed. I have some questions and would be grateful for some help.

1. I have bought players and played them in accordance with what coaches say are their best roles. EG - 2 centre havles, one was best as ball playing stopper and other as defender cover; defensive midfielders as deep lying playmaker defend and defensive midfielder support. Is it a good idea to always play your players according to what your coaches say are their best roles? Will they underperform or perform just as well if given different roles, even when playing in their best position?

2. I have a good 'keeper who even when we keep clean sheets, gets a low rating. He might get a 6.6 for a clean sheet and a 6.5 if we leak 4? Any ideas?

3. If I play with a lone striker, is there a trick to this? I have read some forums on this but am even more confused now! Example - have tried target man, trequartista, poacher in lone striker - Rhodes as TQ got 1 goal in 19 games and did no better as Poacher or Advanced Forward (despite being a "leading" Championship player? Presume this is tactics? Have tried different players with generally poor results as well.

4. Are the 4-2-3-1 deep and 4-2-3-1 Asymetric best avoided?

5. Is it a bad idea to ignore media comments from other managers - eg - struggling team manager comes to my venue and says we play nice football and we then play crap. Should I reply to media comments?

6. Teamtalks - how important are these? Is there a particular reason why a determined player would suddenly "look to switch off" just because you followed the assistant manager's advice and asked the team to do it for the supporters?

7. With a team that on paper is a good outfit (and which I thought was set up pretty well) one manager said pre match that I was "dreaming" if I thought my lads could beat his and my lads duly got walloped (even though we were ahead of them on table position). Is this an indication my players are not good enough or my tactics are terribly flawed?

8. Is it possible to be successful with one tactic?

Any brief replies would be very welcome. The game has a great data base but it can be frustrating when you don't understand what you are doing wrong. Any constructive guidance would be welcome. I've read different forums and topics and find that they all seem to contradict one another. Please help.

1. It is not necessary to play using roles recommended by assistant. As long as a player has decent attributes for it, they can play other roles. It is more important that the tactic fits together overall.

2. Match ratings are a weak point imo and goalkeepers often get low ratings. Check his passing % though and consider changing his distribution if he is repeatedly giving the ball back to the opposition.

3. I really depends on the player how to play a lone striker but the important thing is how he links with the attacking midfielders. I personally prefer advanced forward or complete forward with very good players (which I doubt you have).

4. Never tried assymetric but 4-2-3-1 deep is a popular formation and can work very well with right personnel. For more specific ideas on implementing formations and tactics there is masses of reading available in the tactics section.

5. Never reply to media comments and usually let assistant deal with press conferences.

6. Teamtalks are less important than tactics but still can play a role. It can be difficult at the start of a save to motivate players because of a low manager reputation but this can be avoided if you start with International reputation. If you choose automatic (like most it seems) then it will take a bit of time to win players respect. In my opinion the first season is the hardest because of this. I would suggest if you start a new save then pick international rep if you are still struggling. If players are struggling with poor form and morale do not rant at them as you will more than likely make things worse. Your assistant can also take teamtalks should you wish.

7. Ignore other managers opinions. I imagine your squad should be good enough for mid-table so don't set your targets too high.

8. Yes it is but it has to be good. It also helps if you watch matches (at least partly) and can make in game changes.

You also have to allow your tactics to gel once set up so don't keep making sweeping changes. Your players also need to gel and, with a lot of summer transfers, this can take a while so be patient. I would suggest having a main tactic (the way you really want to play most matches) with at least one more cautious tactic to grind out a result when poor form comes along. I strongly suggest having a look through the tactics section for hints on how to play the way you want.

Thank you Marty for your reply and your help. I have previously browsed at length at the tactics forum and have tried some of the recommendations. I think the big thing I've picked up from your advice is not to feel constrained by playing players in the roles your Assistant thinks they operate best in and sacrifice the tactical set up of the team. Many thanks again.

Thank you Marty for your reply and your help. I have previously browsed at length at the tactics forum and have tried some of the recommendations. I think the big thing I've picked up from your advice is not to feel constrained by playing players in the roles your Assistant thinks they operate best in and sacrifice the tactical set up of the team. Many thanks again.

Absolutely.

If you have a M C/L and the assistant says he's best as a box to box midfielder but he has awesome pace, accel, crossing and dribbling then play him on the left as a winger.

Personally with a Championship team I'd start with a 4-4-2 direct. Wingers, BWM, CM, Poacher, TM - something like that. Then I'd just focus on getting the training how I wanted it, get the scouting set up, get rid of any crap players and players on too high wages, and look for better players. I'd aim my expectations at the lowest possible my board will allow and then, for me, it's key to keep the morale high. Do this by winning matches ;) but also doing calm teamtalks... telling them you have faith in them, they were unlucky if they lose, and having private talks with them. If their past 5 games rating is lower than 7 then tell them they have to improve to be in the first team. If it's 7.3 or above that it's improved and you hope it continues. Test these little chats out... or perhaps there's a guide around here. Certainly I find that keeping morale high really helps. Other than that just keep on signing better players.

Good luck - hope it improves for you!!!

Archived