How many times in real life does a player not want to move to a rival? Answer - never.

So I left my job at Northampton after 9 seasons for the position at AC Milan. In 13th place after 10 games I lead them to Champions League qualification by finishing 3rd in Serie A.

Inter finished second and have an amazing squad. They are getting rid of an attacking mid as he only played 3 times during the year and wants out. He's a really good player. They accept my offer of £5.5M and allow me to talk to the player... however he flat out refuses to talk to me... presumably because AC Milan are rivals of Inter. He eventually signs for perennial mid-tablers Torino.

Checking his personal files he has no allegiance to Inter and in fact is apparently "desperate" to leave. However a move to AC Milan under the guidance of a hugely respected manager who would have played him every game of the season - league and champions league - on a handsome salary appears so detestable by this player that he'd rather sign for a lower reputation club who aren't playing in Europe.

Sound familiar to real life? No - me either.

In reality the guy would have jumped at the chance to jump ship.

This should change... there's far too much emphasis on players respecting club rivalry. Tevez to Man City? Not in FM! Campbell to Arsenal - no way!! As for Figo - he'd never have made his name at Madrid - not in FM!!

So... please change this as it's unrealistic.

Thanks,

Salad D.

You've named a handful of players but it's very rare for players to move to their rivals, especially in England. In Italy it happens more often. How many players have gone directly from Liverpool to Man Utd or vice versa?

I don't know if any players in FM have ever gone to their rivals, but I don't know what loyalty attributes they have because it's hidden, maybe this plays a part in their decision?

What about his agent? Sometimes an agent may not like you and will refuse to speak to you. This happened me before, and the player sacked his agent, I then spoke directly to the player and a deal was done.

Not to mention, players move freely between the two Milan teams. But in England it's slighly different...not many would move from Utd to City. Tevez only did so because he wasn't owned by Utd. Also, in terms of major players it's quite a rare occurrence. A free agent like Campbell or Gallas, fine, but when money is involved?

You've named a handful of players but it's very rare for players to move to their rivals, especially in England. In Italy it happens more often. How many players have gone directly from Liverpool to Man Utd or vice versa?

It's very rare for a key player to move between rivals, but a player who is frozen out and (going by his favoured clubs) doesn't have any emotional ties to the club, is turning down first team and Champions League football and a good salary to sign for a mid-table side? Most wouldn't think twice about a rivalry. It's a living first and foremost.

This is a problem for me also

In the past when managing Real Madrid i could never sigm many Spanish players because they played for teams like Valencia and Bilbao. While i agree that generally players wont move from Barca (unless your name is Figo) and possibly Atletico Madrid i think rivalry with other teams is way over the top.

I tried for sign Jesus Navas he wasnt interested even tho he plays for Sevilla, i tried to sign Juan Mata when he was at Valencia and he wont budge either, which is strange since he is Real Madrid youth player in the past who didnt make the grade. Also a regen player aged 17 had no interest to speak to me then a few weeks later signs for youth team of lowly Lazio. 6 months later i signed him no problem because he played for a club not considered a rival.

Regarding Inter and AC, many players move both directions. I can think of Ibrahimovic, Pirlo, Crespo, Ronaldo and Seedorf of top of my head.

The problem is that these decisions are based on a simple loyalty check with no concern for the context in which the deal is being made.

A simple fix would be to simply turn off the loyalty mechanism if the player demands a move for whatever reason. In those situations, clubs should obviously demand higher transfer fees from rivals, but if a fee is accepted, the player shouldn't refuse a move.

i think rivalry with other teams is way over the top.

Yes, in FM11, I played Liverpool and couldn't get Yuri Zhirkov (who had been transfer listed for 2 years) to make the switch from Chelsea. If the loyalty system is going to be preserved as it currently exists, "rivalries" in the database should be restricted to genuine, historic derbies. Right now, a lot of larger clubs have almost every other recent title contender listed as a "rival" meaning that intraleague transfers among top teams are extremely rare.

Regarding Inter and AC, many players move both directions. I can think of Ibrahimovic, Pirlo, Crespo, Ronaldo and Seedorf of top of my head.

Of the five players you named only two of them moved directly between the clubs, which is the main the gripe of the OP - that players don't move directly between rivals.

In real life eh? - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/9483031.James_Constable_turns_down_Swindon/

But seriously, yeah it's an issue we're aware of, but I'd be careful with using the term 'never'.

Congratulations, you've presented the exception that proves the rule. In all of sport, everywhere in the world, it is commonplace for players to move between rival clubs. It might be more rare in certain leagues, but then it's ridiculous to apply that same frequency to every other league in FM.

And let's be honest: if players had total freedom of movement and transfer fees or contracts weren't restricting them so much, you would see constant movement between rivals. Love them or hate them, what player is going to refuse to sign with a rival if it means finally getting competitive matches and having a chance at trophies? It could make his entire career.

Archived