using stats to determine useful defensive attributes for dcs

Who. I may need in the centre back positions is hard. I don't have a huge club or huge budget. With quicker than I'd like match highlights like goals conceded all I can do is base my wisdom on stats.

My problems with the lack of text commentary even tho I play on v slow are well documented I've no intention of going over old ground.

Yes I know that having positioning, pace, heading, tackling, decisions is desirable but not practical for my budget and there's no fun in picking up two perfect centre backs. How do idetermine with limited info available what type of centre back would be best suited to my tactics.

I've certainly stopped searching on decisions as most players in fmh upper leagues seem to have high decision attribute?

On my current career, starting at the bottom off the English leagues with Tonbridge, I worked out a rating system to judge the players in my team, since they were so bad it was difficult to work out which ones were the least awful.

I took the stats relevant to their role, added them up, found the average and then divided that by two, giving me a rating out of ten (credit to Rafa over at FMHVibe for the idea).

For a defender, I'd add up their scores for tackling, heading, pace, decisions, teamwork, positioning and strength, divide the total by seven, then divide the result by 2. Most of them came out with a rating between 4 and 5 out of ten, but at least I could see which ones had the best ratings overall. I could also use it to evaluate new signings.

Obviously it's not perfect, since it gives equal weight to all stats whereas, in reality, some will be more important than others. I did find it helpful, though, and it also allowed me to track the development of players over the years.

Thanks its an interesting theory. What I'm gonna do however is if I can see where I'mconceding goals and determine 2-3 key attributes needed.

Really wish there were more highlights. And slower, though I guess just watching goals conceded should do it, and see if its headers, tackles or interceptions that are lacking.

Would be great to get more ideas, though.

I couldn't personally start in lower leagues I like to think that I've a core of 5-6 existing players and signings who'd be with me for the full journey to greatdom!

Why do you post on here more than FMHVibe when you mention it every post, Peely ;)?

Depends on your formation, central defender is best for a 4 man back line unless you are defensive like England then limited defender is better. If you are playing 3 DCs then a BPD in the middle like Italy played early on in Euro 2012 allows you to start an attack from deep.

• SI Staff

I would also advise possibly using the "Home/Away Stats" in-match if you don't already. You can see the number of tackles and headers that a player makes and wins in a match as well as interceptions. Maybe that'll help you see where you can improve.

Why do you post on here more than FMHVibe when you mention it every post, Peely ;)?

Depends on your formation, central defender is best for a 4 man back line unless you are defensive like England then limited defender is better. If you are playing 3 DCs then a BPD in the middle like Italy played early on in Euro 2012 allows you to start an attack from deep.

Oh, I think I've been splitting my time fairly equally over the last few days :D

It's just that I've got a lot of inspiration from the denizens of your excellent forums and like to give credit where credit's due ;)

Archived