Is a long term game worth it ??

My main concern about long term games are the confidence and the regens. Im asking for everybodys opinion on whether or not regens are really that bad and are long term games worth the hassle! Well, are they?

depends what you call 'long term' I personally play until about 2025 ish. The newgen thing hasn't really bothered me, I usually quit bacause I dont know who is who!

As for confidence I just ignore it, if I'm sacked I'm sacked.

I only ever play long term games, so I'd definitely say they are worth it. I'm in 2024 at the moment and the regen "problem" just basically means that teams tend to be a bit more closer together attributes wise than at the start and you get less wild results

Board confidence usually only affects you if it's drastic disappointment e.g. finishing 4th but telling them you'll win the league. Most of the time the board become unhappy, but eventually get over it.

As for newgens, it's not so much that they are awful and doesn't really affect your game that much, but you will find they lack in certain areas e.g. defenders will have 8 for jumping but 20 for corners icon_rolleyes.gif Like I say it's not that big a deal and there are usually plenty of newgens worth buying.

I prefer a long term game because you can set yourself targets and these change as your club changes or you change clubs. Personally I started my game with the intention of taking over Man Utd when they get relegated (as it is pretty well documented that they usually do after going into administration), i'm in 2018 and no sign of problems for them yet so I continue with VFB.

Long term careers are always my dream, but on FM2008 are simply impossible to play.

The reason is not regens, but the lack of reliability the game offers. After 20-25 years, around 19/20th June, the game simply shuts down without any hope of going further. It looks like when the save file gets to a certain size, the game can't handle it.

So no wonder you got it for free at first. People DO NEED to test it first before spending money in vain. FM2008 simply doesn't deserve to be bought with all the bugs it has. I prefer to wait for the 2009 version which should be out in a few months time...hopefully WITH NO ridiculous bugs in perfect FM2008 style!!!

Originally posted by Nautilus:

It looks like when the save file gets to a certain size, the game can't handle it.

No, your computer can't handle it icon_rolleyes.gif many people have documented going far further than that and reaching the 2050's/2070's before their computer says no. It has nothing to do with the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

No, your computer can't handle it icon_rolleyes.gif

My computer can't handle it? Really? With 2GB RAM? Oh yeah...sure!!! icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either way it's not a game issue or data issue or bug, which you seemed to infer it was. If others have passed the dates you mentioned with ease then it stands to reason that it must be a hardware problem on your side, rather than the game.

I just get really fed up when people lambast the game as rubbish because of something that has affected them, but others have never experienced. The scenario you suggested may never happen to the OP, just as it hasn't happened to many other, so to use it as an excuse for not doing a long term game is ridiculous.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

I just get really fed up when people lambast the game as rubbish because of something that has affected them, but others have never experienced.

Well, you know, in life we all somehow get fed up with different things! Maybe you get fed up "when people lambast the game as rubbish" and I get fed up when people lambast users' messages as ridiculous, like you just did.

Just for your info, on my ridiculous PC there are 2 other football manager games, similar to FM2008, but somehow these never experienced any trouble. But why proceed further? You're the one on the right side of the story, no? I'm the bad guy...ok...I'll take that designation!!!

One final thing: I never described the game as rubblish. I only showed GUTZ in looking at things as they are. The game is great, no doubts about that, but I always place reliablity on top of my priorities list. A non reliable game...THAT would be ridiculous, not my message!!! A game should never be launched and then keep lagging behind with one patch after the other. Come on, money spent is not patched!!!

Having said that, can you suggest then the minimum requirements for a PC to have a 50 (or even a 70...WOW!!!) year career. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just checking whether my ridiculous PC is up to standard or not.

Having said that, can you suggest then the minimum requirements for a PC to have a 50 (or even a 70...WOW!!!) year career. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just checking whether my ridiculous PC is up to standard or not.

All getting a little childish, and I just want to point out i'm not having a go all i'm saying is that your suggestion that long term games are impossible because of a game defect is quite obviously wrong. Sorry to disagree, but I just don't think it's the case.

As for system requirements, I have absolutely no idea, I don't know anything about computers and don't pretend to, but the fact that others have went further says it all really.

I disagree that you didn't say the game was rubbish, "spending money in vein" and "FM2008 doesn't deserve to be bought" aren't exactly glowing endorsements. However, I do agre to a point re: the bugs and patches issue (although i'm very happy with the game in 8.0.2), but you never mentioned bugs in your original post, other than hoping FM09 would be bug free and your main reason for not doing a long term game was because the game couldn't go past 2030, which isn't the case.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nomis07:

No, your computer can't handle it icon_rolleyes.gif

My computer can't handle it? Really? With 2GB RAM? Oh yeah...sure!!! icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC this has more to do with harddrive space. The save file grows as you play further and further into the future and when you run out of space you can't save your game.

Originally posted by AB-forever:

IIRC this has more to do with harddrive space. The save file grows as you play further and further into the future and when you run out of space you can't save your game.

Makes sense, i'm in 2018 with 8 leagues running and the save game is 900mbs, but I have nothing on my comp and only play FM so I should be fine for a long while yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AB-forever:

Makes sense, i'm in 2018 with 8 leagues running and the save game is 900mbs, but I have nothing on my comp and only play FM so I should be fine for a long while yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's odd, I'm in 2039 with 8 leagues running and my save game is 565MB. I wonder what causes some people's saves to be bigger than others? I don't use the "compress save game" option..

Originally posted by AB-forever:

Ahhh, that's a good suggestion. Promise...once back home I'll check how much space I still have.

But yet again, if my HDD is full because of my first save game, I think it would experience problems even with new saves. Since my first career had to stop, yesterday I started a new one. I'm still in the first year, but till now no problems. If there wasn't any space available, even this new one would have shut down.

But I'll surely check it out... icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AB-forever:

Ahhh, that's a good suggestion. Promise...once back home I'll check how much space I still have.

But yet again, if my HDD is full because of my first save game, I think it would experience problems even with new saves. Since my first career had to stop, yesterday I started a new one. I'm still in the first year, but till now no problems. If there wasn't any space available, even this new one would have shut down.

But I'll surely check it out... icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You will need more than twice as much space as your large saved game, as the game copies and renames the game before saving in case your computer crashes while it's trying to save. This is to avoid corrupting the file.

Makes sense, i'm in 2018 with 8 leagues running and the save game is 900mbs, but I have nothing on my comp and only play FM so I should be fine for a long while yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've given FM it's own 120GB partition so I'm good until about the year 3000 icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by carthy1:

My main concern about long term games are the confidence and the regens. Im asking for everybodys opinion on whether or not regens are really that bad and are long term games worth the hassle! Well, are they?

Confidence - Not an issue any more. The odd blip here and there, but in general, no problem.

Regens - Sure, the quality of regens gets poorer as the game goes on, but it doesn't only get poorer for you, but for the AI too, so its still a level playing field.

Long term is a must, imo.

Guest roberto922
I prefer a long term game because you can set yourself targets and these change as your club changes or you change clubs. Personally I started my game with the intention of taking over Man Utd when they get relegated (as it is pretty well documented that they usually do after going into administration), i'm in 2018 and no sign of problems for them yet so I continue with VFB.

e.g. I set a target of getting past the red ***** in terms of trophies icon_wink.gif and of course I succeed icon_biggrin.gif

So...as promised I checked the size of the save game that gave me trouble. It's 241MB.

The size of my HDD is 118GB. Used space 13,9GB. Free space 104GB.

Hmmm...I think there's enough space for a simple save game, no?

Maybe you're right icon_razz.gif

Did you use an edited database? And of course the obligatory question:

Are you fully patched up? icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Sweet-Zombie-Jesus:

How do some people go so far into the game?

I play 2-3 seasons and then get bored and start a new game.

204* (* = something, between 46 and 49) in one game, 2038 in another game, and 2019 in my current game.

Lets just say, I get attached icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sweet-Zombie-Jesus:

204* (* = something, between 46 and 49) in one game, 2038 in another game, and 2019 in my current game.

Lets just say, I get attached icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Time for a dr. Phil appearance icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sweet-Zombie-Jesus:

Lets just say, I get attached icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any tips?

Originally posted by daemonic:

I've given FM it's own 120GB partition so I'm good until about the year 3000 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How did you give it its own partition

So...as promised I checked the size of the save game that gave me trouble. It's 241MB.

The size of my HDD is 118GB. Used space 13,9GB. Free space 104GB.

Hmmm...I think there's enough space for a simple save game, no?

If you have used an editors at all (especially FMM), they could well have farked up your game. I'm not saying you have, but if yhou have, then you know not to in future :p

Archived