+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How important is determination?

Amateur

Default How important is determination?

I've been a bit of a fanatic for high determination in the last few games and I was wondering if this has unnecessarily kept me from signing some otherwise excellent players. Eden Hazard only has 10 determination which I'd regard as low rather than merely average. I have had to relax my standards somewhat in my current Las Palmas save as I simply don't have enough tutors of quality to increase determination as I have done with my Liverpool save.

I know this attribute has an effect on morale when a team goes behind but does it have an effect outside of matches. Does it affect the success of training or is this just the result of professional personality?

Amateur

It affects training yes. I believe it's something like it's how likely a player is to improve through training and thus reach fulfil his PA. General rule of thumb for me is when I'm signing youngsters always look for maybe 13+ and then tutor them in hopes of increasing it. It doesn't matter as much for older players IMO but I'd still ideally want it to be 10+.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Giggsidan View Post
    It affects training yes. I believe it's something like it's how likely a player is to improve through training and thus reach fulfil his PA. General rule of thumb for me is when I'm signing youngsters always look for maybe 13+ and then tutor them in hopes of increasing it. It doesn't matter as much for older players IMO but I'd still ideally want it to be 10+.
    Pretty much this for me as well. I also insist that my captain has a high determination, almost as important as influence for me.

Part-Timer

Personality and Determination both affect how quick a player reaches his pa if he can at all. I think Personality is more important in terms of that but thats only on what I have seen not a fact I know of. Determination also plays a part in how a player reacts to going a goal down and his desire to give it his all to win a great thing to have in your team.

Amateur

It's not the be all and end all some make it out to be. Some of the best players I've ever had in past versions have had low determination. My best striker on FM2006 had 9 determination, but that didn't stop him from scoring for fun every year, consistently performing at an incredibly high level and racking up 60 caps and 48 goals for Spain before his 30th birthday (I wasn't managing Spain btw - he wasn't just overperforming by being in a human-managed team). And remember, back then you couldn't improve determination at all.

That said, I'd not want a team where every player has low determination - that would probably be a recipe for disaster. But you can afford the luxury of a few players who aren't that determined. If the worst comes to the worst, you can always sub them.

Determination definitely doesn't seem to be the most important attribute in terms of reaching PA either. I've two left backs (FM2011), one with 10 determination and one with 17, and the one with 10 has been much quicker to improve despite having played less games (they're both 21).

I'd definitely want my captain to have high determination though.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggsidan View Post
    Not really, Professionalism is more important to how well a player develops via training. People always over exaggerate how important determination is with off the field events etc.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Wizard View Post
    Personality and Determination both affect how quick a player reaches his pa if he can at all. I think Personality is more important in terms of that but thats only on what I have seen not a fact I know of. Determination also plays a part in how a player reacts to going a goal down and his desire to give it his all to win a great thing to have in your team.
    professionalism is the biggest factor. much more so than determination and personality

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by ilCuoreDiRoma View Post
    professionalism is the biggest factor. much more so than determination and personality
    Professionalism is part of personality. A players personality can be professional if the player has high enough professionalism.

Part-Timer

Quote Originally Posted by ilCuoreDiRoma View Post
    Professionalism is show as personality in game isn't it? So what I notice is a fact to me now

IMO Most important mental attributes (in general, not position specific, in this order): Determination, Decisions, Composure.

If a player is good at everything then a weakness is not that big of a deal. But I try to have a 13 determination, 10 decision baseline for just about any youngster (u20) I sign, and they have to fit my teams personality (Highly Professional, or Highly Ambitious).

I never worry about going a goal down, because I know my team will respond well. And that they are professional means they tend to react well to me telling them I am disappointed, or fining them when they have played poorly (6.1 or less, generally).

Having an entire squad of like-minded individuals is under-rated, IMO. I consider it a crucial factor in my FM success.

Part-Timer

I try and keep it high... Most top level PA regens I've poached have a determination of 15-20, so I've never really had a need to tutor much if at all.

Personality is my bugbear though. Spirited personality for example, is a constant morale-management game. Enough to make me want to flog whomever has that in their info sheet.

Amateur

Tutoring helps other aspects of a player's attributes, hidden ones as well, so just because a youngster has a Determination attribute of 18 I wouldn't be averse to have him tutored by a Determination 15 guy with good Professionalism for instance. Pressure as well can be heightened significantly through tutoring, a low attribute there can be unbelievably frustrating.

This is where having a team of Highly Professional individuals really pays off, because then you know from your scouts how professional the youngsters you are scouting are, which is a big help. What I mean is, they will say whether the player being scouted fits in with the rest of your squad, so you know that if they fit in before being signed that they are professional. Then you just look at the mental attributes (listed above, Determination, Decisions, Composure) and other important attributes for their position and make the decision from there.

Quote Originally Posted by askep View Post
    Tutoring helps other aspects of a player's attributes, hidden ones as well, so just because a youngster has a Determination attribute of 18 I wouldn't be averse to have him tutored by a Determination 15 guy with good Professionalism for instance. Pressure as well can be heightened significantly through tutoring, a low attribute there can be unbelievably frustrating.

Semi Pro
    http://footballmanagerhowto.wordpress.com

Many of the positive personalities have high determination as a 'requirement' so can be an indicator of a good personality. It's not the be-all-and-end-all it's made out to be but I will still always choose a player with 15+ determination over a similar player with less. I must be doing something right, as my squad are 'Highly Professional'.

+ Reply to Thread