Well that sucked....

This thread is for all the times in FM when something just, well, sucked.

Halfway through the Australian Season. Conceded 4 goals all year. Next game is against the bottom of the table team (phoenix for anyone that cares). They have scored 14 all year. Comparitivly I have banged in 43. I end up winning 5-3 after they aniahlate my keepers 7 game clean-sheet streak. I weapt a little for him.

30 minutes into my second career ECC group game with Southampton, against Olympique Lyonnais away. We're looking really good, putting pressure on them and containing their 4-4-2 with our 4-2-3-1. Passes are good, we win the ball back consistently and the defense looks solid. Just that one last pass to the front men is not quite on target. Optimism is slowly giving away to dread of the inevitable, and sure enough: 30 minutes and change into the game OL gets a corner, and Jimmy Briand is left alone with enough space at the near post to slot it in after eating a sandwich and a quick tweet of "ABOUT 2 SCOREEEE WUTWUT #LOLCORNERS".

I see out the rest of the half as our grip seems to loosen a little bit and the passing gets just a bit worse. Another goal for OL on another corner early in the second half spells doom, and my players completely lose it and even the simplest pass becomes too hard to complete. The game ends at 2-0, with both teams wasting chances as I push hard to turn it around. The worst part is, I feel pretty confident that had I just knocked in that one goal from one of the early good chances, I might have routed them.

I looked for the "Mock opponent manager for exploiting corners" dialogue option in the post-match conference, but was unsuccessful in finding it. I instead resorted to belittling their Man of the Match who got rated from having the two corner assists.

Fixture congestion (a game every two days) immediately as its announced we have Manchester City in the CL QF and Barca in the SF.

Beat City, but the congestion decimates my team, have no strikers, a shoestring midfield unit as a successful FA Cup run and an annoying World Cup schedule crams every match into a 2 day break-fest...

So we go into the Barca (A) game with no fitness and no players despite heavy rotating just to get by; I won in the FA Cup Semis by putting on the reserves who barely hung in 3-2 against WBA of all teams. Barca away; Hammered 1-3. That's alright, I'm boss at motivating these lads, we'll turn it round.

Barca (H), scored 1-0, then it goes 1-1, then Fabregas is sent off.... Then we nab a second! It's all us! Penalty! Saved.... rebound falls to a striker who has an open net.... and he hit it wide.

That's it end of the game. The moment he missed that open sitter, the entire team capitulated. And we threw the kitchen sink at Barca with 70% possession but the blasted ball wouldn't get in the net. Lost 3-4 on aggregate resulting in a third season of elimination to a Spanish team either at the Semi Finals or the Finals. PAH! I was so tempted to fine the penalty misser and the striker but knowing FM they'd over-react about it... Like I'm doing now :p

Just had two red cards in the Champions League final, and my team doesn't usually see red (because I set opposition instructions to tackle 'normally'). Had 5 penalty shouts as well. My most consistent player who has hit 6 of 7 in the season misses the one that is finally given. We are given a 2nd penalty after my first player is sent off. Same penalty taker as earlier... And he scores. Went on to win 3-0, despite going down to 9 men, after 70 minutes, and 10 men after 35. Oops, wrong thread :)

got a 2-2 away against barca on my blackpool save, parked the bus and played counter (ala chelsea) they scored from that one shot on target they ended up with (long range) and win the tie

Serves you right for parking the bus!

My Santos team were vying to retain the Club World Championship, having won it the year before against a mediocre Benfica side, who had fluked the Champion's League.

This time it was Barca. Bugger.

We went toe-to-toe with them, won the possession battle, and scored early on through one of my defenders, who had stayed forward for about five minutes after a corner (I was shouting at the screen for him to get back, right up until he netted). Yay!

Barca pulled one back a few minutes later through that renowned aerial threat Bojan scoring at the near post from a corner - keeper should have done better. Bugger.

I hit straight back with a well worked passing move putting my right winger in to score comfortably. Yay!

My keeper spoons a routine catch into Bojan's lap for a Barca equalizer. Bugger.

Then in the 2nd half I got a thrid from the spot after a cynical foul on my striker. Yay!

At this point I had to take off Ganso, who had been pulling all the strings at the heart of midfield - he was just back from injury (picked up in a bloody international) and didn't have the fitness for 90 minutes.

Without the talismanic captain, and best passer, on the field, the team fell apart, Messi equalized from the spot and we were lucky to make it to extra time. Bugger.

Barca got a man sent off in the 105th. Yay!

but still dominated and scored in the 110th when my keeper let himself get beaten to a long-ball hoof over the top to Messi. Bugger.

Going all out attack, we poked a goal in in the 119th, just when all looked lost... Yay!

at which point my players proceeded to completely bottle the penalties and we lost 4-2 on penalties. Bugger.

My keeper got a 3.6 rating, and was at fault for 3 of the goals.

I had never seen him below a 6.7 before, in 5years.

Archived