Have the USMNT ever become a worldpower

in anybodies saves.

In FM11 US never produce any youth players worth taking about, and it really annoys me the way America's diversity is not reflected in the game. There should be players with many different backgrounds and ethnicitys but seems like evevry players has some Spanish name(but too European Spanish, not central American) or overly English names.

Also the prevalence of German born American players isn't reflected in the game whereas in real life players like Jones, Johnson, Chandler and many more were born in Navy bases there.

A world power, no, but they have a lot of good regens in my game (2022 at the moment), especially two strikers who play for Bayern and Juventus. I'd say that, at least in my save, they're right where I'd expect them to be.

Nope. In fact, they just failed to make it to the final round of qualifying for the 2014 World Cup in my save after fielding a team of MLS-only players in their first two games of the third round, then lost to El Salvador 1-0 in the final game and were eliminated. Now Bruce Arena is back in charge.

In my previous save, I made it to 2018 and, despite editing all of the players for the MLS draft each year, only two or three of them made it to the USMNT before I stopped playing. Believe their rank usually fell somewhere in the 30s or 40s for the most part.

I just downloaded MikeMagnum's Alternate MLS/North America about two weeks ago and I'm in a save with the New York Cosmos. Trying to produce top American Players for the national team and hopefully take over Jurgen's role in the future. But doesn't a country's reputation come into effect (Of course youth facilities/recruitment/coaching as well) when determining the amount of top quality players coming out of the youth systems? If this is the case, anyone will have to raise the rep of the American League before you start to see a consistent number of good young players coming thru.

The US can produce really good talent, especially if you load up the MLS. Otherwise, the national team tends to become very unbalanced, with a few superstars and not much strength in depth. Currently managing Seattle and the Mexican national team as Jürgen still scrapes through with the bare minimum (lost 1st rnd ko in WC2014 v Uruguay after topping group with Germany, Croatia & Algeria), can't wait to get a chance with them though, even if El Tri are a lot better.

I remember them being involved in one of the biggest shocks i've ever seen - they were knocked out in the first qualifying round for the world cup by Bermuda! otherwise i agree that they tend to produce some world class players that get held back by all the mediocre ones they produce.

If you look at the US now though, we are really starting to see a rise in American players performing in Europe. While Donovan(played well in his spells there), Dempsey, Rossi and Subotic are the genuine stars, there's tonnes more who perform throughout such as Holden, Cherundolo, Sacha, Bradley, Altidore. The situation imo is only going to improve and I think within 10 years, US will be at Portugals level on a consistent basis, and maybe, just maybe, the first truely world class American soccer players will have emerged.

So yeah, more middle of the road players and the emerging of world class players needs to occur in the games world in my view, at least every few saves, a truly great American team should emerge.

Don't bet against it. Interest in the game is rising rapidly, and there is thoroughly excellent infrastructure for sports in place in the U.S. including facilities, nourishment, education. That, coupled with rising interest, and hopefully better coaching as well, a population of 300m+ will unquestionably produce talent.

And why not Portugal? Sure, the U.S. can only dream of having someone with the talent of Cristiano Ronaldo, but looking at their squad for the Euros, I'd say there are real deficiencies other places in the squad, and barring a downright weakness for a starter they don't have that impressive a strength in depth.

The US will be on Portugal's level in 10 years? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're a looney. Maybe in 25 years, but not 10 years.

Hey, now...we've already surpassed Portugal. We, at least, have actually won a tournament. ;)

Side note: the US U-20 squad just won the 2013 U-20 World Cup in my save, despite not using two of my players that are far better than the ones they selected!

The game isnt modeled to increase the ability of the US in the future. There is no way for the teams to increase rep to really high levels to produce high quality players on a regular basis. Also the template for the players has so many non technically skilled guys its a joke. So there are always 1-3 good players and a good goalkeeper but the rest are lumbering cb or unskilled mids. US seem to produce the odd great LB though which is strange given the trouble we have had there.

Archived