Is the modelling of player morale in FM flawed?

Are people satisfied with the way players' morale behaves in the game? Do the reactions of players to teamtalks make sense to other people?

Often I find players responding in quite strange ways to certain sorts of teamtalks. "I expect a win" can often backfire spectacularly even when my team are clear favourites at home. I find the biggest challenge with FM2012 is not tactical but is making sense of the morale of players. It seems that form does not really create the sort of confidence that I'd expect and even when dominant in a season or a game, a single setback can have slightly unrealistic effect. I really don't want to have to read a guide to learn how to game the system either.

Telling your players that you expect them to go out and win the match when they already know that they are huge favourites to win and a loss would be a catastrophe of epic proportions is not a very good idea, unless they are cocky and overconfident - then it is a good idea. The players (also in real life) can read newspapers and the match odds. If they show up the matchday and their manager tells them that since they are expected to win he expects them to go ahead and win it; not really a "zen" moment, yes? That would really help?

Good managers aren't just stating the obvious, they are pressing the right buttons to keep the team focused on the task ahead. If you expect a win when you're expected to win, tell them to have fun when you're expected to lose, are angry when they are playing badly and pleased when they are playing well - then you're not making a difference in the dressing room and could as well just leave the whole thing to your assistant.

But yes, you're right - if you are on a winning streak and then suffer a sudden unexpected loss, the negative effects on morale can be a bit severe. I am usually able to counteract it, though.

I think the main reason why people are having trouble with this system, I know it's the main reason for me at least, is the fact that there is too little feedback on a players moral.

Everyone will have seen something happening along the lines of a player seemingly randomly dropping moral though there is no feedback whatsoever why his moral is low. He has no concerns and according to his information tap he is happy with everything apart from the fact that his moral just dropped somewhere below 10 but you can't even have a talk with him if he has any concerns.

This is the only thing atm that is driving me nuts that from time to time a player loses a lot of moral and I have to guess what he is upset about or why he isn't motivated anymore.

Imo the feedback on what bothers a player should be improved which could be easily done by adding another talking point to private talks like "You seem demotivated. What's wrong?" or something like that.

To team talks I can only say that some players react bad to pressure no matter how high the confidence is atm. It's because their hidden pressure attribute is very low. I usually give those players a individual talk along the lines of "faith in your ability" which usually gets them back on track.

I think another problem with the team talks system is bad UI design. Player reactions to team talks should not be in green/red font when the ones in green do not necessarily indicate a positive outcome and vice versa. It's unnecessarily misleading.

This especially bugs me.

I have always managed to keep my morale high with a simple formula of telling them "I have faith" before the match & at half time in varying tones. Praising wins and criticizing dodgy defeats and the end of the game and I have never had a bad reaction at any team in 30+ seasons. I think a lot of time people try to beat the game whereas a more simplistic approach seems to work better.

In my opinion it's too clear it's just some value between 1-100. Of course if there are hidden "confidence", "cockiness", "happiness" and "calmness" values, just to throw a few, I'm willing to take that statement back. It can't simulate deep drops in form, think Torres for example.

I think the morale system is pretty good. Anyone who has played the game or followed it at the highest level knows how many head cases there are out there, so in general, I'm happy that saying things that make sense as a coach generally seem to have a positive effect.

Archived