Up The Lido! The tale of how Wales became great

ri916

200px-Afan_Lido_FC.svg.png

I'm going to give you the club information, but bare in mind these screenshots are from where I am currently, 3 and a half seasons in. For this reason, the first 3 season updates may lack information but I will try to make them vaguely interesting.

Club Info (January 2015)

Club Overview- We're very much a red and white club. Some may call it boring but I've grown quite fond of it. We're semi-pro as are all the clubs in our league (but I hope to change that).

Finances- We're in debt but it's not uncontrollable. Some european competition would sort that out.

Facilities- The junior coaching has improved under my reign but everything else is original. We have a decent stadium but can only tend to 525 people in european games due to the rules on seating so some seating expansions wouldnt go a miss. We also have average training facilities which is very handy at this level.

Game Setup

I've loaded all the leagues in Britain and Ireland as well as players from top clubs and internationals. This gives me a balanced database and should mean that I can find players all over the world as well as increasing the challenge at continental level.

My Aims

I just want a long-term game to see me out to FM13. I haven't managed to settle down with one so far so I thought it would be a god idea. I want to test out the dynamic league reputation system as well as develop Wales as a footballing nation. I want to play this quickly so I wont be doing things like press conferences and will be playing on full speed commentary only in dometic matches. I see this save being very club focused until we reach continental success and then i will look to develop the nation. Such as the club facilities and bringing through youth players. I will also take the national team job at some point and hope to lead Wales into a major tournament.

Inspiration taken from this

Afan Lido – Welsh Premier League - 2011/12

This year I wanted us to stamp our mark on the domestic scene. We were predicted to be relegated but I wanted us to squeeze into the top half before the league cut to give us a shot at Europe.

League Table

We did well as the new squad blended nicely for us the snatch third place and a semi final spot in the European places playoff which we won

Loosemores League Cup – Out in the first round.

Welsh Cup – Out in the second round

Transfers – I decided to get rid of the tonnes of deadwood and brought in some players with a bit more quality.

Key Player Profiles:

Jordan Patrick - A pacey striker who popped up with goals and assists in his first season at the club.

Shane Williams - He scored and created a few goals this season, and was ever present in the Midfield.

Matthew Grieve - He popped up with 10 goals from Centre Back and played every league game.

Season       League           Position            Achievements                 Top Goalscorer (Goals)    Player of the Season  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                        
 2011/12       WPL               3rd         European Qualificication             Jordan Patrick (13)        Matthew Grieve   

Next Season

I want us to grab Wales by the scruff of the neck now and push on to win the league. However I’m wary that with such a tight league we could find ourselves in the bottom half at the split.

Looks similar to the way i set up. It's definitly not easy in Wales, certainly as Afan Lido who are one of the weaker teams. You've had a good first season though, look forward to hearing how you done in the others.

Looks similar to the way i set up. It's definitly not easy in Wales, certainly as Afan Lido who are one of the weaker teams. You've had a good first season though, look forward to hearing how you done in the others.

Thanks mate! Wales is by no means an easy challenge as you say. All I can say is that the next two seasons were interesting.

Nice to see a Welsh career with a new club. Doing well so far :thup:

Cheers cerud! I am very proud of my first season looking back on it, as we were predicted to finish last :D

Good first season in Wales,looks like you have some good foundation to build upon in the coming seasons.

yeah hopefully. Thanks mate :)

Afan Lido – Welsh Premier League - 2012/13

I wanted us to push on in the domestic scene so I could start to concentrate on Europe. I was however wary of how we over performed last year and I was unsure if we could replicate it.

League Table

This has to be the only league where you can get 17 points more than the team above you yet still come behind them! We just missed the split but then went on to dispatch all the lower teams and comfortably booked 7th place which got us into the playoff for Europe. Which we lost in the semifinal.

Loosemores League Cup – We did well and lost in the final.

Welsh Cup – We won brilliantly against Wrexham but got dumped out by Neath.

Transfers – Another big turnover of players which probably contributed to our poor league performance. We spent big as well by actually paying a fee for a player! The chairman forked out 50 quid for Nemeth who played 9 games for the club and then left.

Key Player Profiles:

Michael Richardson- Played every game after joining in december and has scored 7 goals from midfield!

Conor Newton- Another midfielder who scores goals! How lucky am I?

Jake Howells- 3 MOTM’s for the full back who has made a few assists as well as being defensively solid

Season       League           Position            Achievements                 Top Goalscorer (Goals)    Player of the Season  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                        
 2011/12       WPL               3rd         European Qualificication             Jordan Patrick (13)        Matthew Grieve   
 2012-13       WPL               7th          League Cup Finalists              Elliot Chamberlain (8)      Michael Richarson

Next Season

I want us to win the league next year. Afan Lido deserves champions league football and I want to give it to them.

You dropped from 3rd to 7th and you say Afan Lido deserves Champions League football? What about the six teams that finished above you this last season?

I think he's refering to how the league splits. The actual point totals would have placed him in 3rd yet again.

You dropped from 3rd to 7th and you say Afan Lido deserves Champions League football? What about the six teams that finished above you this last season?

I know we were playing weaker teams in the second half but our form was lethal. iirc we won 9 games after the split and drew one. I felt the team had just taken a while to gel and I was sure we would win the league with the players I had brought in. So Cerud pretty much explained it.

and also when I referred to Afan Lido I meant the area and fans but I thought me saying Port Talbot deserve champions league football would confuse a few people :D

Slightly dodgy season with a drop in performance, but that has happened to me before and turned things around nicely - 7th probably satisfied your board anyway given they start as big underdogs in the first season, so the previous season you overperformed, just haven't kept up with it.

Slightly dodgy season with a drop in performance, but that has happened to me before and turned things around nicely - 7th probably satisfied your board anyway given they start as big underdogs in the first season, so the previous season you overperformed, just haven't kept up with it.

I couldnt agree with you more. I wasnt worried at this point as I knew the squad was good enough. Thanks :).

I guess it looks like you have some good foundation to build upon in the coming seasons.g.gif

Thanks I guess even though your banned :confused:

Shame about the slow start costing you but hopefully you can turn it around.However was funny to see Rhyl and Prestatyn get relegated,they can continue their local rivalry in the Cymru Alliance :lol:

Afan Lido – Welsh Premier League - 2013/14

Last season was just a blip to me- I wanted to take Wales by the scruff of the neck.

League Table

We pulled though a tough season to finish first 3 points ahead of Neath.

Loosemores League Cup – A disappointing defeat to TNS in the game after we beat them 7-0.

Welsh Cup – A brilliant victory including wins over Wrexham and Newport County.

Transfers – A much smaller turnover of players. I learnt my lesson.

Key Player Profiles:

Elliot Chamberlain- 25 goals in all competitions says it all.

Conor Newton- 14 goals from Midfield.

Ryan Doble- Another goal machine who bagged 26 in 32 Starts.

2012/13       WPL               7th          League Cup Finalists              Elliot Chamberlain (8)      Michael Richarson
 2013/14       WPL               1st          WPL winners, WC winners               Ryan Doble (26)         Elliot Chamberlain

Next Season

We need to come back and win the league again. A solid performance in Europe would also be nice.

Good work to win the league, hopefully you can earn some money in europe next year.
Good job on winning the league. Like JackJCFC said, hopefully money from Europe helps.
Congrats on the title :thup:

Thanks lads :thup:

Excellent big step forward, congratulations on the title. :thup:

The Afan Lido attack on Europe starts here, albeit it might be a little too much to ask you to fight for the Champions League next year. :D

Excellent big step forward, congratulations on the title. :thup:

The Afan Lido attack on Europe starts here, albeit it might be a little too much to ask you to fight for the Champions League next year. :D

Thanks mate. Lets hope we can make a good account of ourselves.

Now you deserve Champions League football.

Yup :D

Archived