Chatting about the Euros with work colleagues....

SGartz

...Is hilarious at times. I’ve just been chatting to a guy who said he thought England’s best player the other night by far was Frank Lampard, his killer passes were key in our build up play. I didn’t have the heart to correct him.

Another guy just goes around repeating opinions he’s heard because he knows nothing about football, I heard him ‘steal’ my opinion in another conversation to someone else, almost word for word regarding Wayne Rooney. Bless.

Another just slags everything England off, but then watches every game, has flags on his car and a flag on his house!

I hate chatting to people who have no interest in football, about football. I had a brief conversation with someone who came in work the other day that went along the lines of:

Customer: 'Is that Tevez not playing for anyone at the football'

Me: 'No he plays for Argentina'

Customer: 'oh right, did they not pick him?'

Me: 'Its the European Championships, Argentina are from South America'

Customer: 'oh right, you'd have thought they let everyone play in it'

Me: 'that's what the World Cup is for'

Customer: 'oh right'

Try explaining the complete Head to Head ruling in some of the Grp stages this year, blow their heads off \o/

Oh and I had a gem from my Granddad pre tournament "Gonna put 5 quid on Brazil winning it in the morning, about time they won this" :lol::applause:

The vast majority of people are completely clueless about football. You just have to sit in a pub while a game's on and you'll here all sorts of idiotic statements. After Rooney missed that header against Ukraine I heard someone say "right, get him off now." in all seriousness.

This is exactly what is happening at the moment, basically 2/5 in my office are football fans. Now the Euros are on 4/5 are talking about football. One used to like football but fell out with it, the other well spends her evenings with Horses. We have to have the same conversation about OMG DIVING, THEY DON'T DO THIS IN RUGBY", especially awkward when your trying to have a conversation about how good Ronaldo is. OH RONALDO LOOKS LIKE A GIRL, HE DIVES. Just fo.

It makes it very tedious. There are people that are watching it and clearly reserve opinion because they know nothing about it. Those people are the decent people.

This is exactly what is happening at the moment' date=' basically 2/5 in my office are football fans. Now the Euros are on 4/5 are talking about football. One used to like football but fell out with it, [b']the other well spends her evenings with Horses[/b]. We have to have the same conversation about OMG DIVING, THEY DON'T DO THIS IN RUGBY", especially awkward when your trying to have a conversation about how good Ronaldo is. OH RONALDO LOOKS LIKE A GIRL, HE DIVES. Just fo.

It makes it very tedious. There are people that are watching it and clearly reserve opinion because they know nothing about it. Those people are the decent people.

*Sputters*

I'm glad that this awkward situation has happened to some other people. I walk into work and have to listen to three people totally uninterested in football talking about england against ukraine and listening to a very overweight woman telling me that she could of scored Rooney's goal and that he is really overrated. Maybe she would of scored if she was one yard out but in all seriousness if she played rather than Rooney she would be lying on the halfway line dying of exhaustion and would probably squeal like a pig if the ball came vaguely near her. She isn't the type of character that you can debate with she is convinced she is right so you just have to nod and agree that Roy has dropped a clanger not including her in the squad.

The vast majority of people are completely clueless about football. You just have to sit in a pub while a game's on and you'll here all sorts of idiotic statements. After Rooney missed that header against Ukraine I heard someone say "right, get him off now." in all seriousness.

On the flipside the vast majority of fans think they're completely clued up on the game and 'know' best. Everyone could do Hodgson's job better after all. Including me. :D

I get more peeved on people bringing club bias to judging England player's performances than those who hate football trying to talk about it. At least the latter is funny. To me anyway.

I had to listen to some annoying woman(annoying voice) go on about how Rooney scored because of his hair :mad: Also said that he missed a head from a yard out because he did not want to get his hair messed up. :mad:

I think she was joking, but they was no reason to say that in her annoying voice. :mad: just shut the **** up.

I explained the offside rule to my mom last night. She got it. :cool:

Did you use the mustard and the teriyaki?

Don't forget the sea salt

the other well spends her evenings with Horses.

Tell her of the nice fillies in the crowd during the EUROs :D

I hate chatting to people who have no interest in football, about football. I had a brief conversation with someone who came in work the other day that went along the lines of:

Customer: 'Is that Tevez not playing for anyone at the football'

Me: 'No he plays for Argentina'

Customer: 'oh right, did they not pick him?'

Me: 'Its the European Championships, Argentina are from South America'

Customer: 'oh right, you'd have thought they let everyone play in it'

Me: 'that's what the World Cup is for'

Customer: 'oh right'

My friend had exactly the same conversations with a bloke in the gym at the start of the tournament but about Messi

It's not as bad as the World Cup. With FIFA's insistence now on the World Cup being referred to as 'The FIFA World Cup' I get mindless women asking me 'did you watch FIFA' every freaking day. It's like 'shut up, you're ruining it' :D ... pearls of wisdom I need to hear with their 2 weeks football watching experience 'I don't think England will win this' ... yeah, been watching 30 years, I also don't think so but it's taken me 30 years to arrive at this conclusion so don't come in here after reading yesterdays paper and think we're making the same point :D

FIFA, FIFA did you watch FIFA ... **** off! Bars here do these fan zone areas outside for people to watch and it's mega busy in the World Cup but not as much for the Euros. It's the worst kind of people though, those have no real interest in football except for a few weeks and then next week they're into something else, the Snoop Dogg concert or Bryan Adams.

Conversation with my friend the other day (he is of Indian descent):

Him: Why isn't Ferguson the England manager?

Me: Because he's Scottish.

Him: Capello is Italian.

Me: Yes, but Scotland isn't Italy. You'd be fine with an Englishman running the Indian cricket team, right?

Him: Yes.

Me: What about a Pakistani?

Him: THAT COULD NEVER HAPPEN!... oh right.

I don't really mind clueless people talking about football. The annoyance is balanced out by the ego boost I get from finding someone more clueless than me.

Guest avine

I find it difficult to talk about football outside SI forums.

But when it comes to the funniest situations i experience them with women in home,they are gamblers:

"Bet for Greece to win Germany...",

"Bet for Spain to win...",

"for Italy to qualify..."

and now

"bet 5 euros :eek:for Portugal to qualify against Spain because Joao Pereira is handsome"

They just don't understand about football and they don't care(..for my bankroll also)

I don't really mind football is about having fun

This is exactly what is happening at the moment' date=' basically 2/5 in my office are football fans. Now the Euros are on 4/5 are talking about football. One used to like football but fell out with it, the other well [b']spends her evenings with Horses[/b]. We have to have the same conversation about OMG DIVING, THEY DON'T DO THIS IN RUGBY", especially awkward when your trying to have a conversation about how good Ronaldo is. OH RONALDO LOOKS LIKE A GIRL, HE DIVES. Just fo.

Point her in the direction of Andy Carroll.

We've had similar in my office. Hearing loads of crap about how England didn't go through because they didn't want it enough, or because they weren't trying.

Did hear one clueless come out with a decent point though, he referred to the fact that when Italy had the ball, England didn't do what all the other teams did, they just retreat into their half and don't try to tackle. Considered getting into a discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of a high press but decided against it.

Cant happen because I work in an office with a bunch of women :(.

Ha Ha.

We've had a few of the games on in our conference room. People will come in for the first half and leave for the second. People come in during the second half and leave in extra time. It's not like the World Cup where we were actually catered by the boss(South African) and everyone stayed for the entire first game

I dislike talking to people who only ever watch England matches so make their sole judgement of a player based on a few games. My friend reliably informed me that Man Utd should get rid of Rooney and keep Berbatov "because he doesn't get enough goals and he's not a team player", sadly my powers of condescension failed me and I just nodded along until he changed the subject to the upcoming Counter Strike game where he was much better informed.

Archived