Quarter-final: Czech Republic vs Portugal, KO 7:45 pm

Leppard

200px-UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.svg_.png

448337739.png vs 58651186.png

Venue: The National Stadium, Warsaw

Referee: Howard Webb

Team News

Czech team manager Vladimir Smicer has confirmed that captain Tomas Rosicky will not start but may play a part later in the match. The influential playmaker, who missed his side's final Group A match against Poland, has been having intensive treatment since injuring his Achilles tendon in the second group game against Greece. Daniel Kolar is once again set to step in. Otherwise, Czech boss Michal Bilek should have a full complement of players from which to pick his team.

Portugal boss Paulo Bento is likely to persist with the same starting XI he fielded in all three group matches and in the qualification play-offs. That means Helder Postiga playing up front with Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani either side of him, with Nelson Oliveira and Silvestre Varela both attacking options from the bench.

Manager Quotes

Michal Bilek: "We know Portugal have dangerous players in midfield and up front, such as Nani, Helder Postiga and [Cristiano] Ronaldo. We have that in mind, and we'll adjust our tactics to be more defensive. We can't play like we did against Russia. We gave them space and they punished us. Nani and Ronaldo will punish us if we do the same thing again, and we don't want to repeat the first match."

Paulo Bento: "I think a team that played against Germany, Denmark and the Netherlands like we did will not have any problems with their mental recovery. The physical recovery has been good too. I will try to transform this individual happiness [from his recent 43rd birthday] into a collective happiness. But my greatest wish is that this happiness will be for all the Portuguese people after the game tomorrow."

Possible Line-ups

Czech: Cech; Gebre Selassie, Sivok, Kadlec, Limbersky; Hübschman, Plasil; Jiracek, Kolar, Pilar; Baros

Portugal: Rui Patricio; Pereira, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Coentrao; Veloso, Meireles, Moutinho; Nani, Ronaldo, Postiga

Previous Meetings

Czech Republic 1 - 3 Portugal (Euro 08)

Czech Republic 1 - 0 Portugal (Euro 96)

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, Portugal should be stronger, but the Czechs will hardly run into the open knife like Oranje did, which may mean that CRonaldo sinks back into anonymity again. Hard to call a favorite.

I think that's from the semis.

So if England are in one semi, he couldn't be in charge of the other and couldn't get the final - either because we were in it, or because he might have it in for whoever beat us.

Czechs will be hard to play against for Portugal. They are not going to attack them the way the Dutch did and take so many risks. I think most would agree that Portugal are at their best on the counter attack rather than having to break a team down. The Czech five man midfield is pretty strong and athletic. May actually be better off with Pilar than Rosicky for this matchup. Think Coentrao vs Gebre Selasie should be a really exciting battle in particular. Expecting a most closer game than people expect. Maybe Portugal 2-1 or otherwise a 1-1 draw.

#POR XI v #CZE Rui Patricio, Pereira, Alves, Pepe, Coentrao, Veloso, Moutinho, Meireles, Nani, Postiga, Ronaldo

#CZE XI v #POR Cech, Gebre Selassie, Sivok, Kadlec, Limbersky, Hubschman, Plasil, Pilar, Jiracek, Darida, Baros

Watch the player Vladimir Darida, very promising young CM/AMF from Viktoria Pilsen.

It's his debut on this tournament and just only third start for Czech Rep. at all... so very hard test for him tonight, but i think he may be pleasant surprise of this match.

I wasn't doubting the Czech's as such, just my own luck. :D

No worries bud - wasn't replying to you really, just an overall opinion. I put 2-0 myself to Portugal in the prediction thread, but I still think it might be close until near the end. Czech's impressed me very much in their last match against Poland.

Archived