Post-tournament/elimination retirements

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

Have seen Shevchenko and now Voronin announce their international retirements, whilst Van Bommel has hinted that he's stepping aside too (not quite retirement though). Anyone else? Plus, keep track of them here like!

i wouldnt be suprised to see Xavi retire from internationals after the euros tbh, hes 32 now, and has a niggling achilles problem he never gets the chance to rest properly, has nothing left to prove, won it all for his country etc etc

Have seen Shevchenko and now Voronin announce their international retirements, whilst Van Bommel has hinted that he's stepping aside too (not quite retirement though). Anyone else? Plus, keep track of them here like!

NOT VORONIN!!!! Nooooooooooooooo

i wouldnt be suprised to see Xavi retire from internationals after the euros tbh, hes 32 now, and has a niggling achilles problem he never gets the chance to rest properly, has nothing left to prove, won it all for his country etc etc

Nooooooo :(

Puyol is 34 iirc. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires (yeah, I know he's not at the Euros).

I don't think any of the current selected England squad would hang up their boots after this, Terry, Gerrard, Cole are the older players but I can't see them turning their back on their country.

Some of the non-picked players might, Rio for example.

Didn't more retire before anyway :D?

Think he was joking. :rolleyes:

Hope so) most fans here breathed out when Blokhin finally dropped him from the squad for the game with England.

Dynamo Kiev fans will be even more elated in case Milevskiy gets sold to Spurs or anywhere else (they will gladly pack his belongings, including Mazeratti and alcoholic mate Aliev) ))

Nooooooo :(

Puyol is 34 iirc. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires (yeah, I know he's not at the Euros).

when he got the injury, I think he denied speculations he might retire from international football.

if he keeps struggling with injury though, I can definitely see it happen. Real shame he missed this tournament, could have been his last great feat for Spain.

Baros retired, possibly Rosicky.

While Rosicky is mulling over his options, Baros has already taken the plunge.

The former Liverpool striker, who is now on the books of Galatasaray, has decided to step out of the international arena.

Baros walks away having made 93 appearances for the Czech Republic and scored 41 goals.

"He only said it to the guys in the locker room, I can't quote him," said Czech team spokesman Jaroslav Kolar in the wake of the Portugal defeat.

"The other players and the coach reacted with a big applause that lasted about five minutes. It was pretty long and it was pretty emotional."

Hope so) most fans here breathed out when Blokhin finally dropped him from the squad for the game with England.

Dynamo Kiev fans will be even more elated in case Milevskiy gets sold to Spurs or anywhere else (they will gladly pack his belongings, including Mazeratti and alcoholic mate Aliev) ))

Whats the deal with Milevskiy? I thought he was meant to be really promising, but he's never kicked on. How comes? Guessing bad attitude from what you illuded to there...

Whats the deal with Milevskiy? I thought he was meant to be really promising, but he's never kicked on. How comes? Guessing bad attitude from what you illuded to there...

He was considered one of the most talented young CFs since about 17 (alongside with his friend Aliev- playmaker which was prised as the best midfielder on one youth friendly tournament with Messi playing there). But he drinked and clubbed heavily till about 2005. Than he showed several nice seasons - since 2007 till about early 2011, including 2008/2009 when Dynamo reached 1/2 of UEFA cup and lost to their main rival, both football and political - Shakhtar Donetsk.

Last season he just stopped playing again. Night clubs, drag racing on his fancy cars, etc. The only chance to start playing again is to move on to one of the European clubs far far away from Kiev night life.

P.S. Milevskiy 1,5 days after 0-1 to England where Artem missed a 100% header.

http://s017.radikal.ru/i431/1206/b3/781c00e29731.jpg

I can see Gerrard doing it, tbh. He suffers a lot of niggling injuries, and this may help prolong his career.

Nah, no way Gerrard for me.

Rio I can see but I have always thought Rio would stop playing for England after this tournament whether he was selected or not

Archived