[FM11] Ronaldo'ing and Messi'ing through the lower leagues until FM13

UDL

What does this have to do with Ronaldo or Messi, I'll be honest, probably not much at all! By the time I can manage a top team, they will be about 40-50, sitting by the pool on a chair made of money... Although I do hope to find a few lower league Ronaldo's and play that magical football that has young and old alike talking about "that" move or goal for years to come.

With FM13 only a few months away (ok maybe 3 or 4) It's time to start that last save to keep the game going those few more months before making the jump to the new one, especially seems I missed out on FM12. Following the trusty Journeyman type adventure, I had probably overloaded what the laptop can load with plenty of leagues to choose from. Starting the game with Sunday League Rep because thats the only way to really do one of these challenges. Mainly hope to have some fun, perfect the 4-5-1 and the 4-2-2-2 tactics (I have found lower league management needs a solid back 6 with 2 x DM to stop the flood of goals going in). I have loaded up England but I hope to avoid England totally unless everything really goes wrong!

There was no fewer than 40 jobs avaliable at the start of the game (June 2010) with 80% way out my reach, applied for all to see the options avaliable to start my journeyman career. To my surprise, I was offered jobs in 5 countries, really thought I would be stuck with just offered from the likes of Sweden to start the career. Time to research a few of the teams, watch the second half of the England game and start the challenge!

Russian First Division

* Dinamo St. Petersburg

Mexican Promotion League

* Guerreros

English Blue Square South

* Thurrock

* Bromley

Portuguese Second Division

* Canical

* Andorinho

* Praiense

Swedish Second Division

* 7 Offers

Samuel had a tough decision ahead of him. He narrowed the choices down to Russia, Portugal or Mexico and asked for a little time from each to make a decision. Russia was the front runner, what an opportunity to start the career in a new place. It was quite strange that all 3 of the Portuguese clubs were Island clubs, which like the Spanish Island clubs all suffer from the same issues, low money, huge travel costs and I guess struggle to attract and keep top players. But for a young manager starting his career, a small island club with low expectations would be an ideal starting point (esp as I have never in all my days of FM managed in Portugal!). And to be honest, Samuel feared the backlast from the Russians if results did no go his way in St. Petersburg, they can get crazy out there in Russia!

Samuel takes over Relegation threatened Clube de Futebol Andorinha de Santo António

CF_Andorinha.png

Based on the small Portuguese Island of Madeira in the North Atlantic Ocean. With the smallest wage budget of the 3 clubs predicted to finish 16 (out of 16) in the Segunda Divisão this club seemed to be the most realistic to start with, from a sunday league reputation standpoint. This was going to be a tall order to get players interested to come here and play for some pretty poor wages. The Estádio Do Andorinha in Funchal boasts a capacity of 500 but from the joys of Wikipedia, one young Footballer started his career there, one Cristiano Ronaldo.

Start.jpg

With Youth Players taking up £20 a week, and there was around 20 of them, they all had to be released to try and free up some wage space ready for the season. This didn't help take us below our budget, and with the board in an imminemt take-over, would have to lose some more first team players! The Board take-over was quick and a new Chairman, with a personal fortune of 9K took over...... More players were given their marching orders, which left me this squad.

Left with a small, but possibly good squad (I really don't know the strength of this league at all) needing some more skilled players and some depth. Key players left are:

- Joao Santos - Young Striker who I signed up long term, good pace and finishing! I hope he will be my main striker but I may need more depth if he doesn't produce.

- Ze Pedro - Highest earner by far but a decent CB is a valuable asset! Needs to earn his wages but has the skills to be a big time player.

SquadLeft.jpg

And with this in mind, we were promtly given little to no chance of doing anything in this league and should prepare to go down again.

SeasonExpectations.jpg

With the very restricitve wage budget most players we well outside of the budget, most wanting £100-250 a week. Now some of the players were huge improvements but just not worth me getting hugely into debt for. I wanted them, and may ultimately pay for not signing them but for now, I just have to try and stay on budget and manage that way. I was however able to strength my squad with some great players who came for the small wage fee's, but back loaded with bonus money, mainly for goals or clean sheets. Without them agreeing to them terms, It would have been impossible to improve the squad! More to come next update!

Interesting ... I had an Andorinha game(unfortunately short-lived) in FM '11 -- only one I've ever seen. Hopefully you can get more out of them than I did(amazing draw on the final day of the first year to stave off relegation, diastrous second year finishing last).

Interesting ... I had an Andorinha game(unfortunately short-lived) in FM '11 -- only one I've ever seen. Hopefully you can get more out of them than I did(amazing draw on the final day of the first year to stave off relegation, diastrous second year finishing last).

Thank You, definately looked forward to starting the League today after this comment. Think I have a good enough sqaud now to stay up after signing a few veteran players who will be around for a season or 2 only whilst other players develop.

CF_Andorinha1.jpg

CF Andorinha 2010/11 Mid-Season Review

Transfers

Transfers1-1.jpg

No compensation to any teams as most the players were over 24. Most critical signings for me were Mota and Chico. Mota is a 34 Keeper who is the best player at the team. I fear he is going to be rather busy this year so getting a top keeper between the sticks was virtually my number 1 aim. Chico is a CM/DM but has high creativity so will be looking for him to spread the ball around to the wingers when he gets the chance. Not expecting goals from him as need him to play in that DM role. (Side note - 5 games in Chico breaks a foot and out for 6-7 months).

Tactics wise I have kept to a 4-3-2-1 with 3 in the middle, 2 attacking Wingers and a lone stiker. Could not really use the 4-2-2-2 due to injuries to both my DM's so stuck with playing wide.

I was not planning to do a mid-season review but things have being going, well much better than I had hoped for. Squeeked a lucky 2-1 victory in the opening game of the season and then got destroyed 4-0 and thought that was a sign of things to come. I think the key to my home form being good was setting the pitch to Maximum to exploit the space on the wings. Most ground seem to be narrow so teams have been playing through the middle alot against me which has left my attacking wingers plenty of space to get behind the defense! Team has played well, not conceded many in open play apart from a couple of games vs top opposition which made me look foolish!

Anyway, halfway through the season and the table looks like this!

PortugueseSecondDivision1copy.jpg

I was pretty much safe from relegation already, pushing for a top 3 spot at the hal way point. I could either keep to the wage budget and keep the team pretty much as it is and "hope" that they continue to play well and pick up the points....... Or, I could release a few players, get under the wage budget and offer a few players out of my range contracts on more money, blow the wage budget up and bet everything on the new players coming in to challenge for the title..... This would be the first real decision for Samuel!

So I assume only 1 team gets promoted? Makes this a tough league to be in! Still, you're doing well and have a real shot at overtaking U Madeira. Look forward to more :)

So I assume only 1 team gets promoted? Makes this a tough league to be in! Still, you're doing well and have a real shot at overtaking U Madeira. Look forward to more :)

Its even worse than that, group winners still have to go through a playoff group where 2 of the 3 will go up.

Good start to the season.As the others have said,it's a very tough league to get out of.You've made a good start and you'll have the foundations to build upon in the future.Good luck :thup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived