How to get rid of a player if no one is interested?

I have Andy Carroll on high wages and I can't sell him even for nothing and no one wants him on loan either. He won't accept a termination and he's played a handful of games in the last two years. How do I get rid of him? Should I get him to really dislike me?

I had the same problem with Aquilani but he eventually accepted a termination. Carroll is not a bad player btw, he just doesn't fit the style of football I play. Aquilani is utter rubbish though. I think his wages are just too high relative to his CA (which I don't actually know) and Henderson and Glen Johnson are similarly difficult to shift even if they play well.

The wages of Carroll will be a slight issue. Add to the fact that you wouldn't really call him a 'top 4' player that another club would go after. The only way that you would have a chance is to try and get him to dislike you and hope for the best and keep offering him out on loan and transfer deals in the hope that one day he'll interest someone.

"Slight" is a bit of an understatement.

His wages are far and above his ability and reputation, it'll be almost impossible to shift him unless you can get him performing to an ability that matches what it'll cost another team to have him.

Let's be honest & ask how many of Liverpool's top earners would interest clubs that could pay a similar wage? Finding a way to use players that were bought by the previous regime is all part & parcel of management

Brendan Rogers will have exactly the same problems next month.

Even the clubs that could pay a similar wage wouldn't actually do it. That's the main reason why people get left with players they have no chance of selling.

Either a) they have too high wages in the DB (like Carroll, this isn't a mistake by the researchers, this is a mistake by real life) or b) they've bought someone and paid him way more than the AI would have.

Any club that would a) want him and b) be able to afford his wages still won't be willing/stupid enough to actually offer a similar wage. This is a fault of the game, really. As some managers in some situations should be doing this. The AI's valuation of Carroll's deserved wages is around the £40-45k mark btw.

It's a little annoying that most players will not sacrifices wages for playing time. Carroll was on loan at Fulham and they tried to sign him but he predictably rejected their contract offer. Some players obviously would rather have the cash but I'd imagine that many would prefer to be doing something for it.

Even the clubs that could pay a similar wage wouldn't actually do it. That's the main reason why people get left with players they have no chance of selling.

Either a) they have too high wages in the DB (like Carroll, this isn't a mistake by the researchers, this is a mistake by real life) or b) they've bought someone and paid him way more than the AI would have.

Any club that would a) want him and b) be able to afford his wages still won't be willing/stupid enough to actually offer a similar wage. This is a fault of the game, really. As some managers in some situations should be doing this. The AI's valuation of Carroll's deserved wages is around the £40-45k mark btw.

AI doesn't seem to calculate whole cost of transfer (transfer fee + wages + various bonuses, additional fees and clauses + marketing opportunities) when deciding whether to bid or not. Additionally AI should calculate specific value that that player has within their system. And than some teams should just make bad purchases just as Liverpool did. It's simply bizarre seeing 20 AI teams offering exactly the same sum.

I would pay the difference but it was never offered in the Fulham instance. I'm still paying something towards the wages of Downing, Adam and Cole.

Probably because the difference would be too large. There seems to be a limit on it. Maybe it's a % of the total wages, and anything above it just gets rejected etc.

Try giving him a fine of two weeks of wages if he plays to a rating of 6.3 below (also works for the reserves). If he comes back to you unhappy you can try to anger him even further. He might ask for a termination of contract eventually. Also putting him as a key/first team player and then not playing him might unsettle him more than if you have him as not needed.

The problem with trying to annoy a single player with fines & warnings is that other players in the team might take his side, imo a risky strategy.

Here's a radial suggestion:

Try plqying him.

What club on earth would shell out a fortune for a player who hasn't played a game in ages? Give him a 20 match run. If he does well, someone might take an interest.

If not, you don't really have any options but to either terminate his contract the costly way or wait it out.

if wages are the issue, then loan him out

this is like the 50th time i've heard of someone trying to get rid of carroll in FM lol. now i'm tempted to play a liverpool save just to see what i can do with him. his stats don't look too bad

And how do you suggest he loans him out if no one wants him?

Having the same problem with Sanogo, he's worth 10 million but ive set an asking price of 8.5 million( bought him for 7 million so want to make a profit). Spurs seem like the only club interested but dont want to stump up his 30k aweek wages (scores 30 odd a season), though i've had a look at their squad and they've got 3 players on 100k+ and about 5or6 on 50k+, and they're listed as rich.

This game doesnt make sense sometimes.

I'm still somewhat disappointed that there are so few offers which take that into consideration.

Using Carroll as an example, some clubs may indeed still be happy to pay the same wage than before if they can get the player for free. Carroll is undoubtedly still a pretty good player for many EPL clubs and represents a not too shabby transfer value, so getting him on a free may be seen as worth spending some more on his wages.

Alternatively I would like to see clubs come and say, listen, we will take him but that's what we can pay to him and the agent will then come to you and demand for the difference or some part of that. I know that's in the game, but by far not frequent enough. Irl I'm sure it happens a lot more often that clubs are offered that kind of deal, even if in most cases that may be rejected. In FM the other clubs don't even bother asking and are not interested.

Players in the last year of their contracts also seem to lack some sense of their market value. Being guaranteed 60% of what they had before for another 5 years may be more interesting than remaining on the old salary for another year.

welcome to world of football - Happens irl with the very same harsh facts that its almost impossible if no-one wants the player, he wont terminate the contract. You could try offering a new contract, for same or less time at a reduced wage. I managed to di this in season 1 at Pompey with a few players

Archived