Easy tactic?

Is there such a thing as an easy tactic to beat FM? Reason I ask this is because over my years of playing FM and even the old CM I always have my formation set up as 4-1-2-1-2 with short passing and very fluid. No matter who I play as this is the only formation I use. I have had massive success with it and can normally fly up the leagues to the prem right from the Blue Square. And so on. I have read a few threads lately which seem to say that if you play narrow you get better success? My question is, is this right? As I don't want my success over many FMs just seen as using an easy tactic as I don't like the thought of cheating to improve myself. Thanks

In earlier FM's I've had great success with narrow formations. But in FM12 I started using a 4-2-3-1 for the first time and with great success as well. The only thing I change (besides player instructions like central midfielder or play making midfielder) is that I use zonal marking. Rest is balanced/standard or whatever it's called. Then most often I use control at home and counter away. This tactic has made Brøndby a dominant force in Europe winning the Champions League twice and loosing one final in 18 seasons.

I must admit I just put control every game, only counter if a couple up, or attacking when down. Also always have the player instructions same for ever position no matter who comes in, ie ball winning midfielder etc

On FM10 having a tactic with many men through the middle was the shortcut to success, especially employing three central strikers.

I have recently read that on FM12 it is still the case that tactics which use no wingers are pretty successful. But I have not yet read anything about a supertactic which will always be a guarantee for success, even more about no such formation. It always depends on the further settings in the tactics and whether your players suit it.

So for FM12, unless you are using the buggishly successful corner routine, you should be safe of being accused to use a super tactic, no matter which formation you are using :)

It isn't cheating, but you are likely to overperform with a well-made narrow tactic yes. But then again, why play FM if you aren't looking to improve on "reality"? The corner cheat is ridiculous though - the player attacking the first post will be unmarked and score a goal or two every match.

It isn't cheating, but you are likely to overperform with a well-made narrow tactic yes. But then again, why play FM if you aren't looking to improve on "reality"? The corner cheat is ridiculous though - the player attacking the first post will be unmarked and score a goal or two every match.

One of my DCs (Mario Maloca) is scoring around 2 goals in 3 games from corners on default corner routine and delivery set to mixed. All his goals are far post headers (default attack far post instruction). AI is scoring bizarre amount of goals from corners and indirect free kicks as well. Last season five teams outscored my championship wining team (Hajduk, Split) from set pieces.

One of my DCs (Mario Maloca) is scoring around 2 goals in 3 games from corners on default corner routine and delivery set to mixed. All his goals are far post headers (default attack far post instruction). AI is scoring bizarre amount of goals from corners and indirect free kicks as well. Last season five teams outscored my championship wining team (Hajduk, Split) from set pieces.

Well, the default attacking routine is designed to let the guy attacking the far post stand alone with none or just one defender too, and the default defending corner routine is not designed to deal with it. You could fix this easily by applying all the different options to your players on attacking corners, and setting everyone except one to defend on corners... but man mark, mark tall and mark small only except one Go Back. Should normalize then. If you score the most goals you will undoubtedly score plenty of goals from corners as well.

Well, the default attacking routine is designed to let the guy attacking the far post stand alone with none or just one defender too, and the default defending corner routine is not designed to deal with it. You could fix this easily by applying all the different options to your players on attacking corners, and setting everyone except one to defend on corners... but man mark, mark tall and mark small only except one Go Back. Should normalize then. If you score the most goals you will undoubtedly score plenty of goals from corners as well.

That's exactly what happens. I just can't comprehend way SI didn't fix/change default corner routines when community reported issues just few weeks after release.

That's exactly what happens. I just can't comprehend way SI didn't fix/change default corner routines when community reported issues just few weeks after release.

Its probably harder than it looks. Would be better to not allow custom corner options so the odds would be the same for AI and human.

Its probably harder than it looks. Would be better to not allow custom corner options so the odds would be the same for AI and human.

As a temporary measure that would probably be the best solution, but they would still need to rework default corner routines.

I'm a firm believer that a 424 (back 4, DM/AMC, AML AMLR, two Poachers) is the best way to go with this version. One sitting midfielder and one creative one, with wingers to pin their wing-backs deep and also stop your strikers drifting out wide, just gets results. Direct fast attacking.

Archived