Can't seem to turn professional...

Hello all

I've been playing a norwegian game with Mandalskameratene. They start in the lowest division(2nd), and after some seasons I've finally been promoted to the premier division.

However... I'm still semi-pro, and can't seem to turn pro. The option in board requests is grayed out with the text "the club can't afford it". I've got 8 million NOK(1 million euro) in the bank, and last year my profit was 30% of my turnover. My finances are fine... I thought I'd turn pro when I got the news item about season expectations and so on, but it came and nothing happened.

Is there something to this team which prevents them from turning pro? Some option checked in the database? All my good players have training reports saying "his training has stall due to needing full time training", so not being able to turn pro has kinda killed my interest in this save...

Can someone offer some insights as to what's happening? Thanks in advance!

I am St. Pats Athletic in the Irish Permiership. It took me two seasons to get the board to get the club to turn pro. The way I managed to convince them was to get the Champion League Group Stage (though it was abit of a fluke) I was given £6.17 Million and I turned straight to the board and asked them to turn pro. They said we now have the financal power to do so and turned the club pro at the end of the season. I could only suggest that you get as far as possible in as many touraments as you can. Also check the other clubs around you to see how many are pro and how many are semi-pro. You might not be the only one that is semi-pro.

I'm the only one in the prem with semi-pro, and the top sides in the first division are pro too...

Oh well, thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have to wait until I either turn pro or jump ship and take over a team that's already professional...

It's a requirement to go pro when you enter the football league is it not?

And I think, on previous versions you needed £5m in the bank to go pro, unless it was mandatory.

Yep you have to be pro once reaching the football league. I certainly didn't have £5m in the bank, I don't think I even had £500k.

2-3 million in the bank?

Hmm... I have 1 million. I can sell my top striker for 2 million easily. Will that be enough then?

And more importantly, is it wise to do so? I'm facing my first season in the norwegian premiership. My squad is a little... Unbalanced. It has a few major stars, but also positions where "decent" is the best I can say about them. Specifically, three of my strikers are good, one left winger, both backs and goalie. I really think I need my target man striker to bang in some goals.

However.... Most of the poor players are young and have huge potentials, and could rapidly increase if allowed to train full time(that's what's holding them back according to the coaches). I also run a huge surplus, I'd say I'm looking at earning 1 million per year without selling anyone.

What should I do? Cash in and go pro, or keep my best shot at staying and wait?

Well, remember you can sign key-players and coaches on full-time contracts even if you are semi-professional, you just have to select it manually. Therefore, you don't need to reallly be professional - just re-negotiate some contracts and keep on as you are, if you are successfull your rising reputation and cash-flow should hopefully eventually get you that status you desire.

Archived