Group B decider: Denmark v Germany/Portugal v Netherlands

boots

Another group decided today.

Flag_Portugal.jpg vs. Flag_Dutch.jpg

BBC preview...

It's the group stage in only but name for the Netherlands, who need to win by two clear goals to stand any chance of progressing to the knockout stages - and even then they need old foes Germany to beat the Danes. Not quite mission impossible, but certainly mission improbable on the evidence the Dutch have demonstrated so far. No country has ever reached the knockout phase at a Euro after losing their first two matches.

Familiar adversaries Portugal stand in their immediate way, a side they have beaten only once in 10 meetings. Another statistic to worry the Dutch is the fact that they stand on the verge of losing three straight matches for the first time since 1990; the country that inflicted that third defeat on them back then - Portugal.

Two years ago the Netherlands were 90 minutes from lifting the World Cup, now they are 90 minutes from heading home early as the first major casualties of Euro 2012. Head coach Bert van Marwijk looks set to change the shape of his side as he goes for goals and may even give in to the Dutch press by starting striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.

The situation for Portugal is a lot brighter following their dramatic midweek 3-2 win over Denmark - they merely need to better the Danes' result to make the last eight. The Portuguese have a proud European Championship pedigree - they are the only side who have never crashed out at the group stage before, and they will be doing everything in their power to keep that record going.

Flag_Denmark.jpg vs. Flag_Germany_Deutschland.jpg

Once again, BBC...

"Everybody is talking about a Germany-Spain final. But there is a long way to go to get there. We have not achieved anything yet."

Mario Gomez

Talking about, and quite probably salivating. But three-goal hero Gomez is right to warn against thinking too far ahead. Football can be perverse, and this is one of those situations where - watch out below! - logic will be thrown out of the window should the super-sleek Germans, with two wins out of two so far, not progress.

The only way the unthinkable can happen is if they lose to Denmark (by any result other than defeat by a deficit of one goal in which they score at least two i.e. 3-2, 4-3, 5-4, etc.) and Portugal beat the Dutch.

It was 20 years ago, in the 1992 European Championship final, that Denmark caused a shock of potentially comparable scale by beating neighbours Germany 2-0. Morten Olsen's side will try to summon that spirit, but whether they possess the required quality is debatable. Young Ajax 'star' Christian Eriksen has not shone as yet and canny winger Dennis Rommedahl is out injured. Their main hope lies with Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner, who Swansea, Benfica and Galatasaray are reported to be interested in after his two goals against Portugal.

But Germany's firepower is daunting. Bastian Schweinsteiger is in sensational form, with piercing passes galore, and his description of the in-form Gomez is illuminating: "The good thing with Mario is that he needs almost zero chances and still scores." Experience on the biggest stage is everywhere in the team: Lukas Podolski is set to win his 100th cap.

Die Mannschaft will top the group if they can get a point. The stage is set for some drama… or grinding, admirable, German predictability.

I see Germany and Portugal advancing. Group winner will face Greece on Friday, runner-up will take on Czech Republic on Thursday.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realistically I can see us drawing with Portugal. Hoping for a miraculous turnaround of course.

Van Marwijk will keep the same tactics (meh) but is presumably starting with Hunter and vdV instead of van Bommel and Affelay.

Germany to draw to spite the Dutch.

Can't risk it. Besides, Germans hate losing. Doubly so against close neighbours. No, Löw and his merry men will win. It's all up to us tonight.

Germany to win, even with a different team which they might come out with. I'm sure most teams would love to have players like Klose, Gotze and Reus on the bench :D

I can't see Holland winning by 2 goals but it's not completely beyond them I guess. Will go for Portugal to join Germany though just based on the first two games I've watched of Holland, they need to change up the tactics and stop playing the favourites (Van Bommel for one)

The portuguese players visited a Ukrainian orphanage yesterday. The atmosphere was somewhat subdued. "It's sad to see those faces without hope" said Igor, aged 8.

Basically the Dutch need to win 2-0 then. Hmmm, don't see it. If Germany take the lead I wonder if they'll cruise a little, Danes could get back into a game and draw, could see that happening and everyone crying 'RIG'!!

The incentive is the next round opponents are basically a bye into the semis (OMG, people are soooo under estimating, etc etc .. we know though, don't we ;))

I think Portugal are gonna make it through as I think the Germans will win and don't see the Dutch winning 2-0

Not literally like last time though. That game was a disgrace from both teams. At least let's play football this time...
You might wanna try to play some football this time instead. :p

Well, you better focus only on the ball this time then. Trust me, you don't want to awake the beasts(Pepe & Bruno Alves):D

Seriously, I think it's going to be a good game. Nothing like the last.

And I hope that 06 never happens again. That was embarrassing.

so Portugal 1-0 Holland and Denmark 1-0 Germany will result in Germany going out?

I understand the way UEFA are doing the tournament but that seems a bit harsh to me ;)

hopefully Germany get through and rip Greece apart though

here are a few stats from the first two games

Netherlands has created more chances (37) than Germany and Denmark combined (18 & 12 respectively)

Wesley Sneijder has created more chances (16) than Denmark

Netherlands have scored just 1 goal out of a group leading 46 total shots, while Denmark have scored 3 out of 18

Denmark have allowed the most chances (36), followed by Germany (22), while Netherlands & Portugal are tied for joint fewest (15)

Portugal have the worst pass completion in the attacking third (63.9%), while Netherlands have the best (81.4%)

Dutch team according to a well informed site:

Maarten Stekelenburg

Gregory van der Wiel - Ron Vlaar - Joris Mathijsen - Jetro Willems

Rafael van der Vaart - Robin van Persie - Nigel de Jong

Arjen Robben - Klaas-Jan Huntelaar - Wesley Sneijder

4-3-3 !! :)

Not sure if they should turn around RvP and NdJ, or maybe they play that way on paper but will swap positions a lot. Them and Sneijder.

Denmark vs Germany Lineups

Denmark: Andersen, Jacobsen, Kjaer, Agger, Simon Poulsen, Kvist Jorgensen, Eriksen, Jakob Poulsen, Zimling, Krohn-Delhi, Bendtner.

Subs: Lindegaard, Christian Poulsen, Rommedahl, Bjelland, Okore, Schone, Silberbauer, Pedersen, Wass, Kahlenberg, Mikkelsen, Schmeichel.

Germany: Neuer, Bender, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Muller, Ozil, Podolski, Gomez.

Subs: Wiese, Gundogan, Schmelzer, Howedes, Schurrle, Klose, Mertesacker, Kroos, Gotze, Reus, Zieler.

Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Has a team ever lost 2 out of 3 games and still gone through? Either WC or Euros...

I know it's possible for a group to finish with one team on nine points and the others all on three points, but don't remember it ever happening...

Could be a first for the Dutch? :confused: But as long as Portugal go out, I'm happy.

Portugal vs Holland Lineups

Portugal: Rui Patricio, Joao Pereira, Bruno Alves, Pepe, Fabio Coentrao, Meireles, Veloso, Joao Moutinho, Nani, Postiga, Ronaldo.

Subs: Eduardo, Custodio, Almeida, Quaresma, Nelson Oliveira, Ricardo Costa, Rolando, Ruben Micael, Varela, Miguel Lopes, Hugo Viana, Beto.

Holland: Stekelenburg, Willems, Mathijsen, Vlaar, Van Der Wiel, Van der Vaart, Nigel De Jong, Sneijder, van Persie, Robben, Huntelaar.

Subs: Vorm, Heitinga, Bouma, Van Bommel, Kuyt, Schaars, Strootman, Luuk De Jong, Narsingh, Afellay, Boulahrouz, Krul.

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)

Has a team ever lost 2 out of 3 games and still gone through? Either WC or Euros...

I know it's possible for a group to finish with one team on nine points and the others all on three points, but don't remember it ever happening...

Could be a first for the Dutch? :confused: But as long as Portugal go out, I'm happy.

Think SSN have said no side has ever lost their first two games and gone through, I suspect the odd team has gone through with 3 points though.

Think both games might massively underwhelm. Mind, the amount I'm getting wrong they'll end up blinders.

IMO Portugal v Holland will be epic. Holland have to win. They have to attack. There will be chances.

Archived