The Rise of the Cerud

cerud

So, as explained on my previous career, the laundry list of goals and such had meant that I was building a career to suit these goals and not my actual desires. So...NO GOALS! :) This career will be focused on making the decisions that I would make in these circumstances. My only goal (I know...I literally just said no goals...) is for this career to take me into when FM13 comes out. This will give me a long time to develop and grow.

Added Modifications

• FM12 Suzie Real Names for Clubs, Competitions, and Awards Fix plus real life media
  • Metallic Logos Megapack
  • taking care of those "other" fixes...the "I can't discuss here" fixes :)

Loaded Nations with all of their Leagues

• Argentina
  • Belgium
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • England
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Ireland
  • Israel
  • Italy
  • Netherlands
  • Peru
  • Portugal
  • Russia
  • Scotland
  • South Africa
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine
  • United States

Leagues will change as the career progresses and likely shrink in size. The large number to begin with is to help facilitate an unemployed career beginning in smaller leagues.

Starting Date: January 2011, so I get maximum time!

Beginning Manager Profile

Name: Cerud

Nationality: Canadian, with 2nd American

Languages: English, French, and Spanish

Past Experience: Sunday League Footballer

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Career Summary

Club Career Summary

Year        Country       Team                League                          Position   Other

2011        Brazil        Santo André         Campeonato Paulista Série A1    11th       ---
                                             Campeonato Brasileiro Série C   1st        League Title
2012        Brazil        Santo André         Campeonato Paulista Série A1    4th        Playoff runners up
                                             Campeonato Brasileiro Série B   4th	---	 
2013        Brazil        Santo André         Campeonato Paulista Série A1    3rd        Playoff runners up
                                             Campeonato Brasileiro Série B   ---        Resigned 23 June 2013
2013-2014   Russia        Anji Makhachkala    SOGAZ Prem'er Liga              1st        League Title
2014-2015   Netherlands   sc Heerenveen       Eredivisie                      3rd        ---
2015-2016   Netherlands   sc Heerenveen       Eredivisie                      1st        League Title, KNVB Beker Cup
2016-2017   Netherlands   sc Heerenveen       Eredivisie                      1st        League Title, JC Schaal
2017-2018   Portugal      Benfica             Liga ZON SAGRES                 ---        Resigned 7 Dec 2017
2017-2018   England       Tottenham Hotspur   Barclays Premier League         4th        Carling Cup, FA Cup
2018-2019   England       Tottenham Hotspur   Barclays Premier League         1st        League Title, Carling Cup, Community Shield

National Career Summary

Year   Country       Achievements
2013   Costa Rica    CONCACAF Gold Cup - Runners up
2015   Canada        CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers 2nd Phase - Qualified for 3rd Phase
2016   Canada U23s   Summer Olympic Games - Quarter Finals
2016   Canada        CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers 3rd Phase - Qualified for 4th Phase
2017   Canada        CONCACAF Gold Cup Winners
      Canada        CONCACAF World Cup Qualifiers 4th Phase - Qualified for 2018 World Cup
2018   Canada        FIFA World Cup - Finished 3rd in Group Stage

Club Achievements

• 2011 - Brazil - Campeonato Brasileiro Série C - League Title
  • 2013-2014 - Russia - SOGAZ Prem'er Liga - League Title
  • 2015-2016 - Netherlands - Eredivisie - League Title
  • 2015-2016 - Netherlands - KNVB Beker Cup
  • 2016-2017 - Netherlands - Eredivisie - League Title
  • 2016-2017 - Netherlands - Johan Cruijff Schaal
  • 2017-2018 - England - Carling Cup
  • 2017-2018 - England - FA Cup with Budweiser
  • 2018-2019 - England - Barclays Premier League - League Title
  • 2018-2019 - England - McDonalds FA Community Shield
  • 2018-2019 - England - Carling Cup

National Achievements

• 2017 - Canada - Gold Cup

Personal Achievements

• 2011 - Brazil - Brasileirão Série C - Melhor Treinador da Série C (Best Manager) - 1st Place
  • 2012 - Brazil - Brasileirão Série B - Melhor Treinador da Série C (Best Manager) - 1st Place
  • 2018-2019 - England - Barclays Premier League - Manager of the Year - 1st Place

Managerial Stats

Manager Stats

*as of 28 May 2019

Number of Clubs Managed: 5

Number of Nations Managed: 2

Longest Time at a Club: 1 086 days

Shortest Time at a Club: 152 days

Number of Awards Won: 9

Total Career Earnings: $9.75M

Total Game Time: 3 051 days

Time Spent on Holidays: 0 days (0.00%)

Number of Players Bought: 69

Total Value of Players Bought: $191M

Number of Players Sold: 45

Total Value of Players Sold: $135M

Highest Fee Spent: $31M for Victor Almirón on 22 August 2018

Highest Fee Received: $19M for Alexandru Chipciu on 25 August 2018

Total Fees Paid to Agents: $22M

Number of Players Released: 67

Overall Career Stats

Overall Played: 487

Games Won: 339

Games Drawn: 71

Games Lost: 77

Goals For: 1 319

Goals Agaist: 506

Goal Difference: +813

Win Percentage: 69%

Cup Wins: 7

League Wins: 5

Promotions: 2

Relegations: 0

20 January 2011

Logo_espnbrasil.png

Unknown Manager Hired to Save falling Santo André

Who says you don't run onto a sinking ship? Apparently for Canadian manager Cerud, that's exactly where he wants to be. Santo André, who only two years ago had regained it's position in the Campeonato Brasileiro after more than two decades away, have been in a free fall. Consecutive relegations see the once envied club in the Brasileiro Série C and fighting to stay away from complete obscurity. The establishment had not been able to right the ship and the firing of Sandro Gaúcho as manager has led to Chairman de Almeida to import Cerud as an outside man to fix the club.

In a press conference in front of the Estádio Bruno José Daniel, Cerud stated, "I'm happy that the Chairman has welcomed me with such openness. My goal here is to bring pride back to the municipality of Santo André. This is a top club, which it's fair to say, have faced obstacles. What matters is how we approach these obstacles and build from the hardships that we face. If we are better off for it, then they are worth it because we remember what the lows felt like and vow never to return. If we succumb, then history will not remember anything at all. I choose the former."

Strong words from a new manager who only recently received his coaching and managing badges. There have also been more than a few Santo Andréans who have exclaimed to this reporter...a Canadian?

santo.png

510004580.png

EC Santo André - Campeonato Brasileiro Série C

& Campeonato Paulista Série A1

I applied to a few positions in lower leagues that I thought would have me and two offers from Brazil came up, both with good salaries. Santo André have agreed to pay me $115 000/year on a two year contract. The other club was only going to offer a one year contract. Plus, they were in the interior and Santo André is on the coast in the Metropolitan area of São Paulo.

About the Club

Santo André was founded on 18 September 1967. They did well in the lower levels of Brazilian football until 1984, when they were invited to join Série A due to a stellar performance in the state championship level. However, by the next year, criteria changed and the club dropped back down.

In 2003, they were promoted to Série B. Improved performances led them to win the Copa do Brasil the following year with a final win against Série A side, Flamengo. This also gave them entrance into the Copa Libertadores de América. Unfortunately, disaster struck when the club was deducted 12 points for fielding and inelligible player. They were able to maintain Série B football and in 2008, win promotion to Série A. However, their stay was shortlived as the were relegated after one season.

In 2010, the championship was epic. They made it to the final against Série A side, Santos. After two matches, the score was 5-5 on aggregate with Santos winning on away goals. However, nationally, the club faltered and have subsequently fallen to Série C, where the begin this season.

The Stats

Year Founded: 1967

Nickname: Ramalhão (nickname of the bandeirante, João Ramalho)

Fierce Rivals: None

Other Rivals: São Caetano (Série B), Bragantino (Série B), Ituano (lower leagues), Marilia (Série C), Paulista (lower leagues)

The Stadium - Estádio Bruno José Daniel

Year Built: 2069

Capacity: 18 500 all-seater

Owner/Rent: 5% of gate receipts

Facilities

Corporate: Adequate

Training: Average

Youth: Adequate

Junior Coaching: Average

Youth Recruitment: Above Average

The stadium is decent for our level. I think it will last us for a bit. However, our facilites will need work if we hope to grow.

pacaembu.jpg

Currently, the club is right at the beginning of the state level championship, the Campeonato Paulista. This championship has 20 teams within the São Paulo state. It's not like other Brazilian state championships that have an opening and closing round. This one is only a simple 19 matches, every team playing each other once.

So far only one match has been played, against Série B side, Grêmio Barueri. We lost 1-2.

2011 The Takeover

510004580.png

The Stats

Campeonato Brasileiro Série C: Win promotion from Série C

Campeonato Paulista Série A1: Learn from the experience (will not be judged this year)

Media Prediction (Série C): 2nd of 6

Wage Budget: $2 448 826

Currently Spending: $1 527 802 ($921 024 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $88 560

Main Kit Sponsor: $283 000 (expires 2012)

General Sponsor: $637 500 (expired 2012)

General Sponsor: $425 622 (expired 2012)

Average Ticket Price: $8.90

Estimated Value: $1.2M

Loan Debt: $300K

Goals

• Get promoted from Série C
  • Hire decent backroom staff
  • Stay in the black financially

The first two are doable. The final goal...I guess it will depend on how large our fanbase is, which I don't know as of yet.

Looks like a very good stadium.

Yeah :) and we barely fill it. Our average attendance is just over 800.

Good luck! Serie C is notoriously difficult to get out of, though.

Thanks, AK22. So I'm finding!

Don't worry about the money too much. Win and you will be fine later...and get out of Serie C asap.

Cheers, rancer! I hope I can qualify. Right now though the other league is kicking my ass!

January 2011 Update

510004580.png

Campeonato Paulista Série A1

Wow... Was not expecting this as an introduction. Not only are we not able to win, we can't even score a goal! Scratch that...we have scored...on ourselves. All three of these clubs are ones that we should be winning against. Two are in leagues lower than us and the other is in Série C, same as us. In addition, my team is just not learning our tactic. It's a 442, I know. Amazingly obscure and rare... Wait? This game is played on grass?! What is this "ball" you speak of and why can't I carry it?

fixl.png

The Standings

standxq.png

So, 4 matches out of 19 so far. We need to turn this around and fast. The Board only wanted me to learn from the experience of this league, but we need to at least survive. I'm scared what will happen when we come up against Série A sides such as Santos. It's still very close; 1 win would have us safe. But so far, this squad hasn't inspired me. I have brought in a few players as this league plays every Wednesday and Saturday, which means my players are dead tired already. I'm trying not to rest because I want them to be practicing tactical play. Might just be wishful thinking.

We have also received our draw for the Copa Kia do Brazil, the Brazilian FA Cup. Our Board expectation are:

Copa Kia do Brazil: Reach the 2nd Round

We play Comercial AC (PL) in the first round. They are a Série D club and though I hope to win, with our record, I may be aiming too high.

Good luck with this, looks like you've got a team with an interesting history.

Indeed they do, JackJCFC!

Indeed for a low team.

Yeah, I think it's because they have played in higher divisions before. They're a club in a free fall unfortunately.

Good luck with the new career. :thup: Brazil is a good place to start :)

Thanks, DodgeeD! I've managed in Argentina before but not Brazil. Should be interesting.

Good luck on your new save game, hopefully you can bring good fortune to Santro Andre!

Cheers, PaulHartman :)

Tough start, but from tiny acorns, mighty sycamores grow.
Not the best start, but good luck.
Good luck with the new career!
Not doing much rising yet Cerud ;)
Not a great start but you can defo turn it around!
Good luck and hopefully things will get better as the season progresses.

Thanks all. I hope that we're able to turn it around and survive this league. Thankfully, Serie C doesn't start until the second half of the year. Hopefully, we can solve our issues before then.

February 2011 Update

510004580.png

An insanely better month! And against more difficult opposition. We started against Série B side, Portuguesa. The win gave us our first and helped boost a little confidence. The fact that it was against higher opposition also showed us that we can do this. However, the match against Oeste opened us up to the darker side of football as our opposition decided to go out for blood. We lost our two main strikers, both to long term injuries of 3 months and 5-6 months and a top centreback to a few weeks.

Finally, there was the match against Palmeiras. Not only are they a Série A side, they are top in this league and unbeaten. They scored in the 35th minute, but I felt we were still in game even at the half. We didn't have a shot on goal, but we were refusing to quit. Finally, in the 76th minute, their rightback made a horrible pass back to their goalkeeper which we picked off and put behind him! A tie to the best team in the league with only a single shot! Brilliance.

fixs.png

Copa Kia do Brasil

The domestic cup began with us against Série D side, Comercial. We were expected to win and we didn't disappoint. The prize money is also an added boost as we are rapidly going into debt.

copao.png

The Standings

standid.png

So much better than last month! We sit in 10th place now, very close to a playoff spot and beginning to make a cushion between us and relegation. In addition, we're finally winning a few matches! February was always going to be a difficult month given the level of the clubs we were playing, but we have managed well and are beginning to become the squad I know we can.

I do have one problem though. All my players are recently signed so no one is willing to be transfered out. Makes balancing the books difficult. I'll probably have to wait until June or so and try to offload a few players then.

Getting better.
already on the rise by the looks of it!
That's better.

Thanks guys :) "Better" may be pushing it though...let's call it..."respectable" ;)

March 2011 Update

510004580.png

So, here's what I learned in March: Brazilians are masochists! I had 10 matches...9 league matches and 1 cup match. I'm surprized no one exploded! It began with a good win over Série B side, Bragantino. Even our draw against São Paulo was good, though they tied it up in the 97th minute of a match with only 3 minutes of extra time... However, then we met São Caetano. They took advantage of how tired we were and completely undid us. It was embarrassing even though they are in Série B.

That began a fall. We were also facing some difficult opposition in Santos and Corinthians, both Série A sides. It was all we could do to hang on.

fixl.png

Copa Kia do Brasil

The cup goes well with a win over fellow Série C club, Caxias. Given that we beat them by 2 goals away, we automatically qualify for the 3rd Round without having to play the home match!

copam.png

The Standings

standuk.png

There is only one match left in the Campeonato Paulista, so we`re not going to be making the playoffs. That`s fine as this league was never going to be ours. However, we are now ready for the Campeonato Brasileiro Série C that begins in mid-July. This is the league that we must win in order to be promoted. Hopefully we have some time to regroup, rest, and for me to work on the squad a little.

Good job there despite that tough start early. Hopefully Serie C will be easier.
Good season in the Campeonato Paulista, time to earn promotion to Serie B

Thanks, rancer and TheGreatTraveler. Here's hoping Serie C is easier.

April 2011 Update

510004580.png

Only one match to end the Campeonato Paulista campaign. Mogi Mirim was able to hold on against our unslaught. We should have done much better but our morale is horrible right now after last month's record.

fixz.png

Copa Kia do Brasil

We were drawn against Série A club, Palmeiras for this round. It probably would have turned out better it we had abandoned the pitch, went back to our dressing room, and just cried. It was embarrassing.

copah.png

The Standings

standd.png

And that is the end of the Campeonato Paulista. All in all, we were able to pull ourselves into a respectable position in mid-table, something I was unsure of being able to do at the beginning of the season. There were a few good results, such as tying Palmieras and São Paulo. In the end, Ponte Preta from Série B won the league in the playoffs. Not bad for the club that barely qualified in the first place!

Now, we have a two and a half month break where I can get ready for Série C. This is the one that counts!

Good finish to the Campeonato Paulista,you should be able to climb it in coming seasons.Good luck in Série C :thup:

Thanks, BWG. We have a couple months to play a few friendly matches and build up our morale going into Série C. Hopefully that helps!

2011 End of Pre-Season

510004580.png

End of pre-season? Middle of season? Either way, we're ready to head into Série C now. We raised morale with a few easier matches in order to get players gelling, which still had yet to occur.

The Matches

Brazil - Brasileirão (divisões inferiores) - EC Primavera - won 4-0

Brazil - Brasileirão (divisões inferiores) - Mogi Mirim EC - won 3-0

Brazil - Brasileirão (divisões inferiores) - AA Internacional - won 3-0

Brazil - Brasileirão (divisões inferiores) - SC Corinthians Paranaese - won 3-0

Brazil - Brasileirão (divisões inferiores) - EC Primavera - won 4-0

Brazil - N/A - CEE Nakazawa - won 4-0

Brazil - Brasileirão (divisões inferiores) - CA Joseense - won 6-0

Pre-Season Thoughts

Our Board expects promotion and so do I. I hope that playing clubs within our same level consistenly will enable us to build up a run and maintain morale as opposed to the league we just finished with. Here we go!

July 2011 Update

510004580.png

Campeonato Brasileiro Série C

Alright, this is a very different league...and I like it!! :) Our match against Ipatinga was against the media ranked top club in my group and we trounced them. Two matches out of 8 so far and I'm feeling good!

fixs.png

The Standings

standc.png

On top and looking good based on goal difference. We play each club twice, so we have to take our chances early in order to make the Second Round. Four clubs are promoted, and out of all groups in Série C, 8 clubs move on to the Second Round. However, we still need to finish this stage before we get ahead of ourselves.

August 2011 Update

510004580.png

I'm feeling much better about my Brazilian decision now. My initial league had kind of scared me given we were playing Série A clubs. But Série C has me feeling much better! We are scoring for fun from many players. However, we are also doing a number to ourselves. Out of the 3 goals against us this month, we did 2 of them. Must learn to stop that.

fixje.png

The Standings

standl.png

One sided slaughter :D We have already qualified for the Second Round with 2 matches left to go. However, it's close between the next 3 clubs below us. Ipatinga was rated top to qualify, but they're the ones who need to work. I'm thinking it will be CRB. They were the one team that gave us the best opposition, so I think they have enough to move on with us.

Again, you have improved a lot. Hopefully you get an easy team against in the Second round. Also, poor Macae
Well that's easy. :D
Great start to the Serie C! Hopefully you can grab promotion :)

Thanks all! In qualifying for the Second Round, half of those clubs will be promoted. I like our chances :)

2011 Youth Candidates

510004580.png

Youth Candidates

youth.png

I'm confused. I have outh candidates...with potential?!?! Well, this has never happened to me before. I'm actually not sure how to proceed. I've never had a youth candidate with a potential star rating of over about 2 stars before. Should be fun.

My assistant manager likes Dico, the goalkeeper. I've highlighted a couple more as well.

Dico - GK

Alessandro - D C

Jefferson - M/AM C

September 2011 Update

510004580.png

So, in qualifying last month, I think my squad thought that was it. Our final two matches in the group were horrible. CRB absolutely outplayed us in a horrible loss. We had only one shot the entire match. Then, just before the match against Macaé, my goalkeeper contracts a virus. Fine, I have my back up. When I go to choose my line up, my back up is listed as "unavailable". No reason or explanation given. He's never been unavailable before. Perhaps there was a good movie on or he forgot to PVR "Dancing with the Stars"? Either way, he's fired. I ended up using one of the greyed out goalkeepers. We tied, thereby giving the worst club in our group 1 or their 2 points from us. Embarrassing. I've decided that even if my goalkeeper has malaria or typhus, he's playing from now on.

The third match, we were back to form. Perfect timing because it was the first match of the 2nd Round. A solid win and we are back on track.

fixp.png

The Standings

stand1.png

So, we end up in first in the group and qualify for the the 2nd Round alongside Madureira. I'm happy that CRB didn`t make it after they undressed us in the last match.

As for our new group in the 2nd Round, our first win was against Madureira and a good one at that!

stand2.png

While this stage is still in it's infancy, I was happy to begin it with a win. There are only 6 matches in the 2nd Round, playing each club twice. The top 2 clubs (from both groups) are promoted. However, they also play a playoff for the league title. My main goal is promotion. A league title would be the icing on the cake.

We have also had our Board inject $825K in order to cover operating costs. I really need promotion and the money that comes with it.

Archived