Offline Mode

Hi guys, I've taken my laptop to work to play FM this evening but i forgot to switch steam to offline mode. Is there anyone of doing this without having the internet. I cant even get on the editor.

Cheers

My guess is he is on his work computer posting to the forums, but wants to play on his laptop which has no internet.

No, this is an ongoing frustration with steam. You have to set it to offline while online to guarantee it will work offline. Otherwise it is a roll of the dice, sometimes it works, sometimes not. If it doesn't work, it will not work without connecting to the internet.

I recommend having steam permanently in offline mode (once you can set it as such) except when you need to use it online to avoid this problem.

You don't need to do any of that. Just start steam. It'll say no Internet available or something then ask if you want to retry or start in offline mode. At least that's what mine has just done and does every time I'm not connected.

You don't need to do any of that. Just start steam. It'll say no Internet available or something then ask if you want to retry or start in offline mode. At least that's what mine has just done and does every time I'm not connected.

Except when it doesn't. It's a well know issue with steam that if you don't set it to offline mode it won't always give you the option to start and will sometimes insist on connecting to the internet.

Except when it doesn't. It's a well know issue with steam that if you don't set it to offline mode it won't always give you the option to start and will sometimes insist on connecting to the internet.

Or except when you fail to read my post. I've never had that problem, as I clearly stated. If others have I can only sympathise.

Or except when you fail to read my post. I've never had that problem, as I clearly stated. If others have I can only sympathise.

I read your post just fine. You indicated it wan't an issue, and acted like the OP should just be able to do what you did and didnt need to reconnect to the internet (which he does). I assumed you were lucky and therefore merely oblivious to the issue, so I informed you that it doesn't always work that way and it is a known issue. If you knew there was an issue and it didn't work for everyone, then you were just being a jerk.

Archived