Closed Thread

Thread: Offline Mode

Amateur

Default Offline Mode

Hi guys, I've taken my laptop to work to play FM this evening but i forgot to switch steam to offline mode. Is there anyone of doing this without having the internet. I cant even get on the editor.

Cheers

Part-Timer

How are you on this if you have no internet?

Amateur

Im using my iphone

Amateur

My guess is he is on his work computer posting to the forums, but wants to play on his laptop which has no internet.

No, this is an ongoing frustration with steam. You have to set it to offline while online to guarantee it will work offline. Otherwise it is a roll of the dice, sometimes it works, sometimes not. If it doesn't work, it will not work without connecting to the internet.

I recommend having steam permanently in offline mode (once you can set it as such) except when you need to use it online to avoid this problem.

Amateur

Thanks for you help

Third Team

Create a hotspot on your iPhone & tether your laptop to use the 3G to set Steam to Offline mode.

Amateur

Ive tried that and it still wont work. It says steam is already running. You may only run one copy of steam at a time.

Amateur

Force close steam (alt-ctrl-del), tether and restart steam. Then switch to offline.

Third Team

You don't need to do any of that. Just start steam. It'll say no Internet available or something then ask if you want to retry or start in offline mode. At least that's what mine has just done and does every time I'm not connected.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by edgar555 View Post
    You don't need to do any of that. Just start steam. It'll say no Internet available or something then ask if you want to retry or start in offline mode. At least that's what mine has just done and does every time I'm not connected.
    Except when it doesn't. It's a well know issue with steam that if you don't set it to offline mode it won't always give you the option to start and will sometimes insist on connecting to the internet.

Amateur

Double post

Part-Timer

Ive had this problem before. Is there any wi fi hot spots such as a cafe near by? Go there enjoy a coffee set steam offline and then browse the web?

Third Team

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar190 View Post
    Except when it doesn't. It's a well know issue with steam that if you don't set it to offline mode it won't always give you the option to start and will sometimes insist on connecting to the internet.
    Or except when you fail to read my post. I've never had that problem, as I clearly stated. If others have I can only sympathise.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

It does happen, nobody (including Valve it seems) knows why.

Amateur

Quote Originally Posted by edgar555 View Post
    Or except when you fail to read my post. I've never had that problem, as I clearly stated. If others have I can only sympathise.
    I read your post just fine. You indicated it wan't an issue, and acted like the OP should just be able to do what you did and didnt need to reconnect to the internet (which he does). I assumed you were lucky and therefore merely oblivious to the issue, so I informed you that it doesn't always work that way and it is a known issue. If you knew there was an issue and it didn't work for everyone, then you were just being a jerk.

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Stop with the handbags folks, it is sometimes an issue for some people, enough said.

Closed Thread