So a 2-2 between Spain and Croatia guarantees they both progress?

Evilyoshi

Ah memories of Sweden and Euro '04

I always get a bit hurt on behalf of nations when people think it was fixed. It was easily one of the most competitive matches I've ever seen, and both teams wanted to win against their neighbours more than anything.

Obviously, at 2-2 nobody wanted to risk anything. But who in their right mind would do so? You can't play for a result like 2-2. 0-0, yes. 2-2, no way.

If Denmark beats Germany 3-2, 4-3, 5-4, etc., both teams will progress. It just can't be orchestered.

Seeing the Italians do have a history of match fixing, I can certainly see why they'd think we all do it :)

I always get a bit hurt on behalf of nations when people think it was fixed. It was easily one of the most competitive matches I've ever seen, and both teams wanted to win against their neighbours more than anything.

Obviously, at 2-2 nobody wanted to risk anything. But who in their right mind would do so? You can't play for a result like 2-2. 0-0, yes. 2-2, no way.

If Denmark beats Germany 3-2, 4-3, 5-4, etc., both teams will progress. It just can't be orchestered.

Seeing the Italians do have a history of match fixing, I can certainly see why they'd think we all do it :)

Spot on! The game was awesome :thup:

Both teams played for the win but when Sweden made it 2-2 with some minutes to go, it would've been stupid to risk it all. No team in the world would do it- and certainly not Italy :D

If Portugal and Danmark both win, Germany are out. There is no way in hell that Germany would risk that, so knowing Löw, he will change 2 or 3 positions and Germany will play for the win like they always do.

If Portugal and Danmark both win, Germany are out. There is no way in hell that Germany would risk that, so knowing Löw, he will change 2 or 3 positions and Germany will play for the win like they always do.

Not if Denmark wins 3-2, 4-3, 5-4, 6-5, etc. :)

But I agree.

Heh, I'd say that IF Danmark would win against Germany, it would be with a similar scenario like against the NL, i.e. score one and hang on for dear life. Putting 3 or more past Germany... I don't see it happen.

I do agree, I was talking toungue-in-cheek.

Correct me if I am wrong anyway, does 2-2 put them both through? Doesn't a 3-0 or more Italian win put them through?

Totally agree with you

Agree with this. I said this in the other thread as well, but even if Low does change things, it'll probably Klose, Kroos, Reus, Gotze, and Bender in. Those are still easily capable of beating Denmark.

Agree with this. I said this in the other thread as well, but even if Low does change things, it'll probably Klose, Kroos, Reus, Gotze, and Bender in. Those are still easily capable of beating Denmark.

Sadly, yes :(

Ze Germans look very, very, very strong.

Agreed. Not only is a 2-2 result not that easy to play or but the rivalry between us meant a fix was never going to happen. Of course when reality happened to make it 2-2 with just a few minutes left then it was an easy choice to not risk anything. That said the "2-2 and the Spagetties are out" banners in the crowds where hilarious.

And I don't know about Denmark but in Sweden the definitive outcome of a 2-2 result wasn't mentioned much in the media until reports came about the Italian media making a big deal about it. :D

Correct me if I am wrong anyway, does 2-2 put them both through? Doesn't a 3-0 or more Italian win put them through?

If Span and Croatia draw then the size of an Italian win becomes irrelevant so a 2-2 (or higher) draw guarantees Spain and Croatia going through. Of course that would also mean that Croatia becomes group winners which is something I don't see Spain giving up easily.

Agreed. Not only is a 2-2 result not that easy to play or but the rivalry between us meant a fix was never going to happen. Of course when reality happened to make it 2-2 with just a few minutes left then it was an easy choice to not risk anything. That said the "2-2 and the Spagetties are out" banners in the crowds where hilarious.

And I don't know about Denmark but in Sweden the definitive outcome of a 2-2 result wasn't mentioned much in the media until reports came about the Italian media making a big deal about it. :D

We were all gutted about the result as we really, really, wanted to (a) win against Sweden and (b) avoid the Czechs (don't remember the alternative).

I remember Grønkjær had a huge chance to make it 3-1 (which he missed purposely to annoy the Italians ;)).

I remember Grønkjær had a huge chance to make it 3-1 (which he missed purposely to annoy the Italians ;)).

Knowing Jesper's goalscoring ability it really should have been proof of match-fixing if he had scored ;)

Archived