Group C: Spain vs Ireland, KO: 7:45pm

Leppard

200px-UEFA_Euro_2012_logo.svg_.png

spanien.png vs 200px-Ireland_Football_Team_Badge.png

Venue: Arena Gdansk

Referee: Pedro Proença (Portugal)

Team News

Spain's strikerless experiment against Italy, when Cesc Fabregas started as a 'false nine', had mixed results; Fabregas scored but Spain struggled to penetrate the Azzurri. Against a defensive Ireland side Vicente del Bosque is expected to bring in a recognised striker, with Fernando Torres favoured to get the nod ahead of Fernando Llorente and Alvaro Negredo. Despite his goal, Fabregas appears the man most likely to drop out.

Giovanni Trapattoni has broken with his custom of naming his team the day before the game, but promised "one or two" changes. The Italian is likely to resist the public clamour for Sunderland winger James McClean, keeping faith with wide men Aiden McGeady and Damien Duff. Jonathan Walters could replace Kevin Doyle as Trapattoni opts for work rate against Spain, while Stephen Kelly could come in at right-back in place of Stephen Ward, with John O'Shea shifting from right to left.

Manager Quotes

Vicente del Bosque: "We trust all of our three strikers. All of them can play and we know all of them will do everything for the team. We have used Llorente - he helped us to become champions and he is a different player. We played in Brussels with one forward and we put another forward on instead of Fabregas. Sometimes, it's a question of football. We are really confident about our strikers - that's why we brought them here. But we have played just one match and we could use all of them. You can only make three substitutions, so everybody can't play. If we could have played with 13 players, it would have been different."

Giovanni Trapattoni: "I am proud to be the manager of the Irish players because the Irish players have heart. But we have achieved results not only with heart because we have met France, Bulgaria, Italy, many other teams and we played the same. We play our football. It's creative enough and it's technical enough. Maybe Spain have one or two more creative players, but football is not only about creative players. Today, football is about balance on the pitch and strength with attitude and also luck. We have attitude, mentality, commitment, technical ability. We don't make bets, but I think we can win. Why not?"

Possible Line-ups

Spain: Casillas; Arbeloa, Piqué, Ramos, Alba; Busquets, Xavi, Xabi Alonso; Silva, Iniesta, Torres

Ireland: Given; O'Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Ward; Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady; Walters, Keane

Previous Meeting

92AB66563A14D68424C64C4789C80.jpg

Spain 1 - 1 Ireland (WC02)

---------------

Yeaaaah, going for a Spain win here. They need to start with a striker, though.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spain should manage 70-75% possession today. Just comes down to whether they can actually convert their chances. Maybe be a better matchup for Ireland than Croatia who were just too dominant in the air. Fear for Ireland however is that they couldn't keep possession against Croatia while Spain are obviously at a different level ball retention wise. Thinking a comfortable 2-0/3-0 win here. Doubt Spain push themselves too hard once up by a couple of goals with a more difficult game against Croatia in four days that could decide both teams' fate.

I really don't know why del Bosque still wants Torres as their main striker? Llorente would be miles better

Anyway- can't see anything else then a easy win for Spain. Ireland looked really poor in the first game

I expect Spain to start with Fabregas as a false nine again and then bring on Llorente later on if they can't score.

Ireland will be experts at closing the middle of the pitch, but the quick movement of that fluid midfield/front will also dazzle them. Llorente would obviously provide an alternative as to the style of play upfront, but aerial play should be one of Ireland's strongest points too, given that it shouldn't scare them enough to defend higher up the pitch, one of the big advantages of fielding a target man.

This is only a game for Torres if Spain's already winning and Ireland feels forced to go upfront and get goals, which is totally unnatural for them and would open up highways for through balls over their defense for Torres' movement to cause chaos.

All being said the false nine thing didn't seem to work particularly well against Italy and needs to have more incisiveness to be truly effective. The Fabregas goal is a good example of how good it can be, maybe a couple more training sessions and more games and that option will turn into something properly dangerous, rather than the figure of fun it's been made of by most press and fans at the moment. After all Fabregas played brilliantly as a false nine early in the season for Barcelona and nobody ridiculed Barcelona for not playing a striker.

Don't need Xabi Alonso AND Busquets, ffs. Play Xavi and Busquets together, and play Silva, Iniesta, and Navas in front of them.

I'd normally tend to disagree and argue a duo of defensive midfielders gave Spain a lot of stability during the World Cup and it clearly worked, but today they're facing a team who should cause very little danger in open play so I agree with you. Unnecessary to play a duo of holding midfielders against Ireland.

I wouldn't drop Alonso tho, but push Busquets to centre-back and move Sergio Ramos to right-back, dropping Arbeloa. Ramos is more of an attacking threat increasing Spain's width on the wing, and looked a bit iffy defensively as a centre-back in the first game.

Dropping a def. midfielder would also allow Xavi to play deeper where he excels the most.

Btw I hope by a miracle it ends 0-0, Ireland holding of Spain all game and choosing not to pursue a win at all not even during the final minutes (which they need to progress), because I'd win quite a lot of money in our office's betting pool as I'm the only guy who went for 0-0. :D

Archived