Reading: Pushing for Promotion

hullcity4life

(This is carrying on from my last thread if the same name. My updates will be placed into the reply section).

Hi there, and welcome back! Now, as you may or may not know, I spent the best part of the first 2 seasons with Reading. We will continue this here.

December Report

Okay. Now, I am in December on FM, and things have changed. First, however, I will talk about my transfers:

In:Jonathan Ayite-Very talented 26 yo striker, signed for only 500k!

Maurice Dale-Signed from a Romanian club, skilled but having trouble settling in, but scored a few vital cup goals

Paulo Ferreira-The third and final signing, another massive coup for the club.

Out: Jimmy Kebe-Talented and 2nd in the clubs player of the year, but fell out of favour, and was rousible and started a lot of fights between both myself and the team. The board and fans were pleased to see him go.

Jobi McAnuff:Decent winger, but not part of my plans.

Jordan Obita: Great young winger, but Man City's offer was too good to refuse.

Noel Hunt: Not needed by the club, even though we only had one spare winger.

Youth Players called up: Abdulai Bell-Baggie- Very exciting young Ghanain striker, scored twice last season, wanted to bring him to the first team.

So, thats the transfers, more outs than ins, but I want to make the club a bit wealthier. So, lets see how the League is going.

Championship: After a comfortable friendly fixture list, losing only to Man Utd Reserves, Reading began their season, which was also my third season in charge. We began with a win over Coventry, a loss to Swindon (oh the pain), followed up by a narrow 1-0 win over Leeds, although the match was generally in their favour. After our 2nd win, we followed it up by beating Plymouth 2-1, and then drew with Norwich 0-0. Reading were second, behind Norwich, and tied on points with Bolton and Swansea. In the next few months, we went 7 games unbeaten in the league, and grabbed important wins at Bolton and QPR. After this, we were 2 points above Norwich, three above Bolton, and four over Stoke, who we were playing next. In this game, we trailed at half time 1-0, but then we just let go. The Potters scored twice more, but we managed a late consolation. This put them just one point behind us in first.

For a while, I had wanted a career managing an international team as well as a league club. After many unsuccessful applications, the Vanuatuan FA offered me the job. Although hesitant at their world ranking (167th), I accepted and organized a friendly with the Solomon Islands. We lost 1-0, dominating the second half but unable to put any chances away. This came after a hugely disappointing first half.

However, skipping forward, my last game in charge of Reading was also my 100th game managing the Royals. After a bore draw with Middlesborough, jobs at Sunderland, De Graafschap, Rastock, and Charlton became available. I applied for all of these, and the media unveiled them all, which resulted in my board giving me an ultimatum. Feeling disloyal, and also not wanting to repeat last years fall from 1st to 7th on the last day, I resigned from my post, hopeful that Sunderland would accept me. As it turns out, they didn't, they hired Roberto Martinez instead, and I was crestfallen. Not only had I lost my post at Reading, I had lost all hope of going to a top division team. After considering offers from De Graafschap and Charlton, I went to the Ersete Divisie with Graafschap. What I was after was a decent transfer and wage budget, which Reading didn't have. Unfortunately for me, no players actually wanted to discuss a contract with me, even though I could have offered them top wages. So, our first game was a disaster, losing 3-1, still in 16th in the ED.

League Cup (Reading)

We were drawn with Oxford United, our arch rivals, but 2 tiers below us in league 2. Surely, we would win. Nothing could stop us, we were much better than them... on paper. After a nervy first half, we took the lead on 50 minutes. Then Oxford woke up. They then turned the stats around, but failed to find the mark, although they hit the post late on. 1-0 Reading at FT then, but it was a close one.

Once again, in Rnd 2 the draw was kind again. We were to face Burton, also League 2. This was even harder than the last game, with Albion taking the lead on 30 minutes. However, my half time team talk got the players disciplined again, and we turned it around, running out 2-1 winners, a Jem Karacan Stunner winning it.

Round three drew us against league opponents Sheffield Utd., who we had played just a few weeks before. Unlike the other games, we were in full control, winning 2-0, only to be drawn against Premier League side Burnley. We failed to hit any shots on target in round four, and crashed out at a 4-0 loss.

So then, I have my regrets about leaving Reading after a good cup run and league result, but I am willing to do my best at De Graafschap and Vanuatu, but I will definitely consider all my options.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed!!

Archived