Fm 2012: Player roles

Hi, I am new to FM 2012 after returning to the franchise. (Previously played 2007). Was wondering if it was possible to change a players recommended player role?

For example I signed Will Keane and my scout report said he plays best s a trequartista. I want to train him to be a Poacher. Would this be possible?

The role the coach provides you is the role they think is best for the indvidiual, if you had a midfield full of DLP you wouldn't be able to do much due to a lack of running. in the attribute screen there is a player role drop down which you can see the stats needed for each role

I am aware of these points thanks however if I was to tailor a players training scheme, individual training and preffered move training would he in time change to a poacher or am I just wasting time

Of course you can train them as something else. The recommended player role is simply a combination of what their highest attributes are. If you want to train a treq. as a poacher then just train them heavily in the areas which increase poacher attributes. Eventually his recommended role may even then change to a poacher.

Of course his recommended role may never become a poacher if his treq. attributes are much higher, but training him as a poacher will still increase his poaching attributes and make him a better poacher. You don't always have to play them as their recommended roles, as long as they're still good at the other role you're assigning them in.

Yeah, I had that with my old lower league save... I have my team selection screen customised to show me preferred role, duty, ratings etc. and a few players would constantly shift back and forth between roles as their attributes went up and down through training.

Obviously it's much easier to change player role of the youngster - you have plenty of time to change the way 17yo regen plays, but you can't affect attributes of 27-28 yo player once he's fully developed.

However, to certain limit it's possible and even efective to change your tactics according to your players. For example in single striker tactics you can apply different roles to your lone striker and it changes your attacking play accordingly, but if you use your each striker strengths the best way possible, it may still result in goals whatever the role he has.

Archived