How many download tactics?

Who downloads??  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Who downloads??

• Creates and uses their own tactics and formations
    • Downloads their tactics.

I was just curious....Who actually uses and creates their own masterpieces and continually tweak based on opposition and player strenghts?

On the flipside, who simply download tactics from our tactical section and simply build a team around that particuluar tactic..

Just thought would be interesting to form a poll and actually see who uses their own.

I make my own.

Usually every new save I make, I try a new take on a tactic. So, one could be a direct 4-5-1, then next time I try a possession oriented 4-2-3-1... Currently I'm doing a straightforward 4-4-2. I always start in the lowest league in a nation, so I don't have to worry about players not fitting the tactic, as I'll be rebuilding the squad anyway.

I do look around for new ideas before starting a new save though. Sometimes the idea comes from a real life football team, sometimes I think it up myself, and sometimes I find the idea here.

I also make up my own tactics, but I always seem to underachieve in the game, especially seeing the achievements of the guys in the career update forum. If things are not going well I tend to change formations completely, is it best to stick with what you have and tweak things slightly?

I have my own football philosophy which I try to re-create in FM by making three different tactics. Standard one based on 4-4-2 with AMR and AML formation, attacking one based on the same formation and defending one based on 4-4-2 formation. i simply want my team the play I want them to play and that's the main reason I don't download the tactics.

Actually quite suprised to see the poll results thus far. Was expecting more people to download their tactics

I definitely agree that by making your own and continuously tweaking it based on opposition etc, makes the game much much more enjoyable IMO

Obligitory reply: Sooo if a real life club copy Barcas tactics....is that cheating?

IRL it's not possible to copy exactly unless you get the Barcelona coach into your dressing room and explain every minute detail.

IFM you are copying every single detail, it's completely different.

I use my own.

Actually quite suprised to see the poll results thus far. Was expecting more people to download their tactics

I definitely agree that by making your own and continuously tweaking it based on opposition etc, makes the game much much more enjoyable IMO

I wonder how many people are ashamed to admit they download tactics, so have voted for the other option?

The trouble with downloaded tactics is that for the really good ones are far too reliant on having the exact type of players for the roles required in order to work, and that really narrows my options when getting in players. Someone I was playing a network game with a couple of years did send me one that worked out very well, but that's the one time, and I seem to manage fine (for the most part) on my own anyway. Its even taught me quite a few things, not quite 'what works against certain opposition' but at least with a greater awareness of what works when lining up my own, so its been far more beneficial learning my own way.

Doanloading is cheating and it often won't fit ur squad

Who cares if people "cheat", which they aren't, by the way. They've paid their own good money for the game and can play it how they want. Some people aren't good with tactics and therefore chooe to download them. Others maybe want to just get on with playing the game rather than spending time perfecting a tactic.

Who are you to label them "cheats"?

Don't see any need to download a tactic as this is the side I really enjoy.

I can see why people do though, it's either too in depth for them, too steep learning curve or they simply don't have the time/can't be bothered/casual gamer.

Why would you download a tactic hwen you can make your own? There is far too much people in the team threads who I see with smaller teams winning the Champions League and so on and they self-admittedly confess they have downloaded the tactic but where is the challenge for the feeling that it was your managing skills that won this trophy for you etc....

Why would you download a tactic hwen you can make your own? There is far too much people in the team threads who I see with smaller teams winning the Champions League and so on and they self-admittedly confess they have downloaded the tactic but where is the challenge for the feeling that it was your managing skills that won this trophy for you etc....

Because of the various reasons that have already been posted in this thread.

Anyway, back on topic.

I do download other people tactics, but only to get ideas, see how they have approached things, and to see if there is anything I can learn from their tactic and adapt into mine.

Sssshhhh the cheat police also see that as cheating!

I must admit I've done that in the past aswell. :thup:

I have downloaded tactics before a lot of them in every years game and I did download one for this years however I have made my own tactic from scratch and although I am not any good at making tactics whatsoever my team have played much better than they did before with the downloaded tactic.

Well those reasons still don't justify anything to me, it like having your assistant do the matches for you whilst your on holiday, but you celebrate 'some one else' win :rolleyes:

Well frankly those who do download tactics don't havce to justify themelves to you.

Have tried both routes, had a lot of success on FM 11 with a tactic posted on these forums, won a lot of trophies, but it did feel somewhat shallow. Definitely struggle more when creating my own, but I agree, it's a great feeling when you get it right! Currently playing a game, similar to Dafuge's challenge, and have been using my own tactics all the way, it is quite fun, currently languishing in League 2 a bit, I refuse to give up though, will continue with my 5-2-3-1 counter attacking formation, or maybe I should try something new....

Both. I like taking things apart. My latest FM08 experiment is trying to make kimz's tactics even better... :D

You can play the game any way you want, anyway. There's no "right" way to play Football Manager like there is no "right" way to play The Sims. If you find it fun to take Liverpool to the bottom of the Football League, then so be it. If you find it fun to stick Messi in goal, then so be it. If you find it fun to download and use tactics, so be it...

Obligitory difficult user: Of course you would bring up one specific example. One example doesn't prove anything.

Nope. Copying, cross-pollination, goes on strategically in all sports. Whenever something is successful its copied.

Well you feel happy using other people's tactics, I will be happy using my own ;)

This is one big way that FM isnt very realistic. IRL managers not only have to be successful, they have to get the support of players, owners, fans and media. They have to sell their tactics as mainstream and smart. There is far less room for statistical maneuvering IRL. But the FM way is more fun.

I use a basic 442 and tweak the team settings and individual player settings - works a treat for me and I never change my tactics. I use the same 442 on every version of the game I have played.

I did download tactics a few times on earlier versions but it felt a tad shallow whenever I achieved any sort of success. Not that I'm against people who download tactics, mind. I'm no tactical genius and I generally struggle with them but when you do get a tactic right after a gazillion tweaks, there's nothing really better!

I do however use downloaded training schedules though. I've tried creating my own schedules and can never seem to get that perfect balance.

Currently playing a game, similar to Dafuge's challenge, and have been using my own tactics all the way, it is quite fun, currently languishing in League 2 a bit, I refuse to give up though, will continue with my 5-2-3-1 counter attacking formation, or maybe I should try something new....

Perhaps picking a keeper?

I'm going to go out on an limb and say why I think the poll won't reflect the actual distribution all that well...

I'd assume that the average gamer who downloads tactics probably has less time at their disposal and is probably less interested in discussing the intricacies of the game. They want to download a tactic, sign their favorite players and not have to pay too much attention to detail. By default, these will most likely be the least vocal members of the SI community and the least likely to be hanging around on the SI forums 8 months (?) after the game was released. And the least likely to vote in polls. They're probably much more interested in the "which is the best tactic" and "who is the best player" threads. :D

On the other hand, the gamers who are still posting on these forums 8 months after the release of the game probably have a very different take on the game. They're more likely to be more engaged, partake in discussions, maybe actually read some of the threads in the Tactics forum etc. So the results of the poll will probably be skewed towards the more dedicated player and away from the more casual player.

You just need to compare the hectic of the first few days of a release of FM on these forums - and the number of first time posters who never return - to realise that those active on the forums at the moment are probably not all that representative of the average FM player. And that's not taking into account the thousands of people reading the forums around the release date that aren't even registered and just reading the "can't install", "FM is broken", "Everything is bugged", "worse release ever" or "steam won't work" threads without actually contributing. So I wouldn't read too much into the poll (or any internet poll for that matter).

• 1 month later...

FM is an in depth and an immersive game that is easy to spend months on. (which is a good thing I add) I feel that some people who play it may have a 40hr a week job, house and other things that may need attention and simply don't have the time to invest as some people do developing there own tactic. But none the less want to come home from work and kick back and play FM. Downloading a tactic and tweaking it is just one way of enabling them to do so without having to invest weeks and months polishing the final tactic and allows them to play this game :)

Archived