Watch the Full Game

I just lose my mind as soon as there is a set piece of any kind, never mind a player getting hurt. I inevitably put it back to key highlights, and up to Max speed until the timewasting is over.

Corners and player treatment just take too long, although I know its in the name of realism!

When your tactics are still quite new to the team watching the full game is a big help, because it can help you see where things are going wrong. But my tactics are quite 'battle-tested' at this point (what having managed hundreds and hundreds of games), so its no longer necessary.

I seem to always say to myself at the start of a new save I will play every game in full match mode because it can be very useful, but I usually only do it for a few games before I realise how long each season would take.

I use only commentary on full speed.

If I'm losing at half time I may switch it to extended change tactics. If it works back to only commentary.

If I'm drawing at half time I continue to 70, if still the case change again.

If I'm winning at half time or 70 I let the game play through. Means a match takes me 2-3 minutes usually. Can get through seasons very quickly.

Full, every match

About how long does it take to go through a season? Because this is very cool and I would like to do that. I know it depends but like for example how many seasons have you done?

About how long does it take to go through a season? Because this is very cool and I would like to do that. I know it depends but like for example how many seasons have you done?

Depends on how much time I have to play. It can be anywhere from 7-10 matches in a session or as little as three. Then it also depends which part of the season you are at. A transfer window can take me up to 10 plus hours to go through depending upon what is happening. Then there is processing from I think what is about 70 leagues running. Also in the last two season I began attending all my reserve and U18 matches where I could, those however, I switch to key highlights only. So all in all it is a slow running game so to speak. Not everyones cup of tea, but I like it.

But as I haven't really answered your question, with work, life etc about two to three human weeks thereabouts. My first save on FM 12 was about three weeks after release and I am about halfway through 2015, and last played that save about three weeks ago. It is probably dead in the water as I have the add/remove leagues issue which kind of bogged everything up pretty bad. I may try and persevere, as, it was just getting interesting with new gens, players developing and the like.

Depends. But when I'm just starting out, or trying to tweak a tactic, I don't see any choice other than to watch the whole match to make sure everyone is behaving how I want, and the things I'm trying to do are actually working. It takes several games of tweaking like this, then depending on my mood either full match or key highlights from then on.

When its time to tinker I go full match. When things aren't going my way, its time to go full match. If I have just come back from 2-0 to 2-2 and there's 20 minutes to play I go full match. But not every game. I don't need to see the full 90 minutes of Juventus vs Taranto, watching 1/3 to 1/4 of the game through highlights (+ statistical analysis and looking at motivation) tells me what I need to know.

I manage two teams as it is, and my criteria is to try to win every game, and score 3. If I am managing that (and rotating the squad and developing youngsters) then I am happy. Watching some tiki taka or dribbles or whatever won't increase my satisfaction at all.

The worse your team is relative to the rest of the league, the bigger the benefit of watching the entire match. I tend to watch most games on full when I'm newly promoted or for important games. I'll switch to extended highlights once the game is in the bag (4-0 up for example), but will switch back to full if things start going wrong. As time goes on and the team gets better, I find myself switching to extended highlights more and more. I still start every match on full (bar friendlies), but switch to extended once I'm happy with how things are going. After all, there's no benefit to watching my EPL team smash 8 past a L2 side in the cup on full highlights.

I also switch to commentary only and max speed when my team is 5-0 down :D

Extended, all the time, normal speed.

Extended, dead rubbers/friendlies, faster speed, rarely do this.

Full Match, when loosing and I think I can turn it around, cup finals, title deciders.

I often switch to full match when things aren't going well. Helps to find out what really is wrong, and who isn't performing not just by going by ratings.

The season is when the magic happens, though, so what is people's obsession with getting it over with as quickly as possible?

My team is already assembled, they just need to develop into full-fledged world class players. That isn't going to happen between June and September! I mainly buy players that are 17-21 and know when a first team player will have to be replaced at least 3 or 4 years ahead of time, so there isn't a lot of spontaneous transfer activity waiting for me in the off-season!

Plus how are you going to get better at tactical tinkering by letting the AM manage every game? To each their own, I guess! But for the game is about about player development and tweaking tactics to get the most out of your players.

Archived