The correct pronunciation guide/thread

Philip Rolfe

• Administrators

Sponsored by David Pleat, obviously. Lots of new names for commentators to have nightmares over, but equally to educate folk over. Everyone quipped at Tyldesley on Saturday for his take on Eden Hazard but he's actually correct as I understand it.

2012's troublemakers are undoubtedly the likes of Alan Dzagoev (or other, more simple Russian names where the stress is incorrectly placed, like happens with Abramovich) and

but also from the Czech Republic, where someone like
or Daniel Kolář will have his name butchered in the same way Roman Bednář did throughout his British career.

Who else you got?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Badelj doesnt seem too difficult imo. Have been pronouncing Vrsaljko correctly do long :cool:

Maybe not that hard, yeah, but commentators that don't know him tend to say Badelzh as if he's French. Letter "LJ" in Balkan languages is almost the same as "LL" in Spanish, like in David Villa. If you can pronounce that correctly, it's fairly easy.

It doesn't bother me but it's just professional courtesy to research properly and get things right. Not much different to quoting statistics.

They should know and they seem to vary between getting it a bit wrong and outright basking in the fact they know nothing :D Either way it kind of rolls of my back a bit

I am sure people with a difficult Czech name would understand if someone got it wrong, not that they'd watch it.

One of my favourite things about match threads is the endless 'why does Pleat keeping calling this guy's name as this' :/ Haha, who is Kale-Strom LOLZ

Yeah but some of these aren't exactly hard names to pronounce. Like Kallstrom. Someone with half a brain can make an educated guess and not call him Kale-Strom. It honestly feels like they don't bother even trying to pronounce them correctly or do a little research and figure out what's correct. Isn't it part of their job?

• Administrators

I can understand some complicated names but with the likes of Bednář ignoring the accents and the way they're said just bears no representation to their correct pronunciation, and they're easily researched. Just ask the player ffs, Tyldesley did that to Hazard.

Yeah but some of these aren't exactly hard names to pronounce. Like Kallstrom. Someone with half a brain can make an educated guess and not call him Kale-Strom. It honestly feels like they don't bother even trying to pronounce them correctly or do a little research and figure out what's correct. Isn't it part of their job?

I am not sure how anyone can look at Kallstrom and know how it's pronounced. I believe it's actually 'Chell-strum' so there's no way to get that from looking at it. I called him Kall-strom all the way through signing him in CM 01/02 :p

Most names aren't hard to pronounce. All it takes is a simple youtube research. Even a half decent attempt is better than no attempt whatsoever.

I would imagine a reasearcher passes that info on anyway or some kind of press get together.

I remember some commentators talking about press get togethers about South Korean players and pronouncations in the early 2000s and that was all media so not sure who organises that but that was at tournament level. I am sure at TV level some researcher does it (or doesn't)

I am not sure how anyone can look at Kallstrom and know how it's pronounced. I believe it's actually 'Chell-strum' so there's no way to get that from looking at it. I called him Kall-strom all the way through signing him in CM 01/02 :p

Well, the umlauts over the a and the o should be a good indicator it's not pronounced like it would be without them. The 'ch' sound is not something that's obvious when you look at the name, so I don't expect people to know that.

And what with the case of Xherdan Shaqiri? Everyone pronounces him Sha-kee-ree, even the Swiss that makes it unusual. And he's Kosovar, meaning he should be pronounced Sha-chi-ree. His name is pronounced Djeh-rdahn.

There is a very easy way to learn the correct pronunciantions of most players.

Go to google.com, click on the translator, choose their native language and write the name of the player. Then click the "audio" icon below and you will hear it.

They have most languages.

• SI Staff

It's a pet peeve of mine to hear commentators butcher some names..

sure it's neigh impossible to pronounce "Kuyt" correctly, so I can live with that but some other variations are just stupid - they don't even bother to ask any Dutch person beforehand as preparation.

sure it's neigh impossible to pronounce "Kuyt" correctly, so I can live with that but some other variations are just stupid - they don't even bother to ask any Dutch person beforehand as preparation.

I swear I've heard him being called Dirk **** on a few occasions. :D

I hate that name. :D I've heard that uy and ui in Dutch are pronounced like an oi. That true? So, it's Koit?

I hate that name. :D I've heard that uy and ui in Dutch are pronounced like an oi. That true? So, it's Koit?

It's kinda close, but at the same time also completely different. Doesn't really help, does it? :D The 'ui' sound simply doesn't have a close approximation in English.

It's kinda close, but at the same time also completely different. Doesn't really help, does it? :D The 'ui' sound simply doesn't have a close approximation in English.

I don't think it's close at all. Koit sounds completely different from Kuyt

Any non Slavic person that pronounces
correctly, gets a free cookie.
was easy

but then again, in terms of pronounceing letters, swedish is not massivly different compared to south slavic and to a certain extent turkish....and I grew up listening to bosnian being spoken on semi regular basis which ofcorse helps a bit :p

was easy

but then again, in terms of pronounceing letters, swedish is not massivly different compared to south slavic and to a certain extent turkish....and I grew up listening to bosnian being spoken on semi regular basis which ofcorse helps a bit :p

You've got the LJ sound. So you're covered in case of Vrsaljko or Badelj. :thup:

Archived