Problems with steam offline mode

I have FM12 on steam however during the summer i'm going to be without internet and i still want to play the game, I use the offline mode in steam quite a bit however it doesn't work when there's an update and this happens a lot (as a lot of you will know) I would go out and buy the game dvd yet i think that would be unfair to pay twice for the game.... what are my options for playing steam FM without internet?

Before you lose your internet set Steam to offline mode while still online then disconnect, you should then be fine to play your Steam games while you don't have a net connection.

Buying the DVD won't help as that doesn't allow you to play from the DVD (you still are reliant on Steam)

• 1 month later...

Today reminded me why I dislike steam.

We had to go to the gf's parents house today, and wait in for something for them (they are on holiday atm)

I decided to take my laptop and play abit of FM while just sitting around, but I've not been able to play any FM at all.

I started my laptop up this morning.. Steam pops up, says connecting to my account, then it says can't connect due to no internet connection.

I select start in offline mode, it doesn't work.. says something about trouble connecting to the internet?

They don't have any internet there, I tried restarting my laptop, switched my laptop on and off, tried the retry connection option, switched the wireless off on my laptop.. I even clicked the Network trouble shooting tips (that loaded up a internet page... saying it could not connect to the internet)

I shut my laptop down last night (so it's nothing to do with Steam already being started up, connected to my internet at home, then moving it away from the internet connection)

When I started up the laptop this morning, it came up with the steam connection error as soon as I logged on.

I've had my internet go offline before (no signal etc) and I clicked the 'start in offline mode' and it's always worked. So I did not have a single thought about setting steam to offline mode myself, before I left the house.

It's tmes like this when it makes me mad, I've paid for a game, but I can't play it because Steam won't work without a internet connection.

Paid for a game, I should be able to put the disk in and play it where ever.. when ever.

I wouldn't care if it was just a one time activation (I even accept having to keep Steam installed on my computer, to be able to play FM12) but its frustrating when I can't get on the game, 8 to 9 months after I purchased it, because Steam needs to connect to the internet. (I may have been unlucky, and had a 1in100 chance or something, of the start in offline mode not working.. but even so, it's still a poor do)

I would have just drove back home, but they live over an hour away.

(I also took some screen shots earlier)

This is what it came up with after the 'connecting to account username..'

4y2bz.jpg

Then when I clicked start in offline mode, it came up with this message:

M9o2I.jpg

The please visit the steampowered.com for more info was hilarious.. yeah I'll just load the web page up, with the internet that I'm connected to.

Rant over. :D

I've had the same issues with steam's offline mode mate.

I even followed all of the instructions that are listed on steam's site to no avail. Last summer I was without internet and TV. I thought I'd at least have games to play. Nope.

And this is why I still play FM10. Don't need steam for that.

Yeah can understand how that's annoying, but if you set it offline when you're online it shouldn't ever sign you back in. Details are here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/279162-Football-Manager-2012-*OFFICIAL*-FAQ?p=7184713&viewfull=1#post7184713

The problem is that most users want to use the Steam features when they are online such as chatting with friends, getting achievements, downloading demos/games or patching games for instance.

Leaving Steam in offline mode permanently defies the friggin purpose of Steam in the first place from a users POV.

• Administrators

Surely if you're going somewhere where you know there isn't Internet connection then it'd be better to put it into offline mode though right? That's what I was suggesting.

I've had mine permanently in offline mode since day one, the only exception being when a patch is available, and I've never really had any problems with it.

I still don't like the idea of Steam being on my PC though as I never use it for anything, and have no intention of using it, so all its doing is taking up memory.

• 1 month later...

Archived