Which Keeper Is Better

Hey all,

Hoping ye can settle a bet for me...

I am playing FM here, and my mate is over and we are looking through some players. I've seen a keeper and I'm considering signing him, my mate reckons his no better than my current keeper.

Keeper A(Current keeper)

KeeperA.png

Keeper B(Potential Signing)

KeeperB.png

Now I think B is better than A, and his of the opposite opinion...

Cheers for helping me with this, its getting a little heated here

Probably B, but not much in it. Looking at both sets of attributes B gives the impression he is much better, as he has more attributes which are higher. However, are Pace, Determination, Accelration or Aggression much use for a keeper? Probably not.

But, B shades it for his superior distribution (Kicking+Throwing) and Reflexes.

Its certainly not as clear as others are making out.

If we look at the important attributes for a keeper (A:B)

Aerial Ability - 11:10

Command - 10:11

Handling - 13:10

One on Ones - 4:9

Reflexes - 6:11

Composure - 11:10

Concentration - 13:9

Decisions - 4:10

Positioning - 4:5

Agility - 12:8

Other attributes I like to consider as I tend to favour a sweeper keeper (A:B)

Communication - 3:10

Eccentricity - 2:3

Rushing Out - 4:10

Acceleration - 10:10

Pace - 13:11

Ok what do we make of this well your current keeper is significant better in 3 areas (handling, concentration & agility) but significantly worse in 3 main areas (One on ones, reflexes & decisions) + 2 secondary areas (communication & rushing out).

Overall I would say not that much between them and they both have their strengths & weaknesses. Personally I would look to the coach reports and see what strengths & weaknesses they list that give you an idea of hidden attributes - things like being consistent, likeness for big matches & fitting in with a positive team personality would all be good whilst the likes of injuries, inconsistent or not fitting in would be bad.

Its certainly not as clear as others are making out.

If we look at the important attributes for a keeper (A:B)

Aerial Ability - 11:10

Command - 10:11

Handling - 13:10

One on Ones - 4:9

Reflexes - 6:11

Composure - 11:10

Concentration - 13:9

Decisions - 4:10

Positioning - 4:5

Agility - 12:8

Other attributes I like to consider as I tend to favour a sweeper keeper (A:B)

Communication - 3:10

Eccentricity - 2:3

Rushing Out - 4:10

Acceleration - 10:10

Pace - 13:11

Ok what do we make of this well your current keeper is significant better in 3 areas (handling, concentration & agility) but significantly worse in 3 main areas (One on ones, reflexes & decisions) + 2 secondary areas (communication & rushing out).

Overall I would say not that much between them and they both have their strengths & weaknesses. Personally I would look to the coach reports and see what strengths & weaknesses they list that give you an idea of hidden attributes - things like being consistent, likeness for big matches & fitting in with a positive team personality would all be good whilst the likes of injuries, inconsistent or not fitting in would be bad.

You forgot Determination, Throwing and Kicking.

You forgot Determination, Throwing and Kicking.

No I didn't, none of those three are listed as main or even secondary attributes for a GK.

Kicking is only the distance the keeper can get with his kick while I don't for sure but I suspect throwing is the same.

Determination isn't really relevant here but more fits in with personality/hidden attributes which I've mentioned at the bottom of my post. It is also more important when looking at younger players that you want to improve but given the level the OP is playing at he is much more interested in current ability.

Definitely B, as keeper A has much lower reflexes and is much poorer one on one, these are 2 of the most important attributes for a keeper.

I would definitely sign keeper B he would be a significant improvement on your current keeper, his mental abilities will improve with age as well.

No I didn't, none of those three are listed as main or even secondary attributes for a GK.

Kicking is only the distance the keeper can get with his kick while I don't for sure but I suspect throwing is the same.

Determination isn't really relevant here but more fits in with personality/hidden attributes which I've mentioned at the bottom of my post. It is also more important when looking at younger players that you want to improve but given the level the OP is playing at he is much more interested in current ability.

Determination is the single most important attribute regardless of position on the field. It affects everything a player does with and without the ball. Both kicking and throwing are very important attributes for a keeper even though they aren't listed under key attributes for a GK. Goal kicks that lands short of the halfway-line are often very dangerous and should be avoided, and when throwing is as low as 4, he won't be able to toss it outside of the 16-meter box. Both may lead to numerous goals against during a season.

The attributes that governs player development are Professionalism and Ambition, not Determination, even though the latter is often joined by the two former if it is high.

Edit: I agree with the rest of what you said, though. PA isn't very important in lower leagues.

I'd say B, but not by much. I'd agree pretty much with what Cougar says. I'd also say it might depend on the overall quality of your team.

Keeper A's better handling might be beneficial if you're seeing teams take a lot of pot shots from distance, but most of the game is taking place in the opponent's half. He'll probably spill less balls and his better concentration means he won't switch off if he doesn't have anything to do for 20 minutes.

B is probably better if you are a lesser team, as he edges it in those areas that I'd say are more important when you're facing a fair amount of shots. Better kicking and throwing for example is an advantage if your keeper will be seeing a lot of the ball. His rushing out and reflexes mean he'll be better suited to dealing with strikers getting in behind your defence if your defence is naff. And his communication will help marshal your defence.

Archived