+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Keeper Is Better

Default Which Keeper Is Better

Hey all,

Hoping ye can settle a bet for me...

I am playing FM here, and my mate is over and we are looking through some players. I've seen a keeper and I'm considering signing him, my mate reckons his no better than my current keeper.

Keeper A(Current keeper)

Keeper B(Potential Signing)

Now I think B is better than A, and his of the opposite opinion...

Cheers for helping me with this, its getting a little heated here

Amateur

B is clearly the better keeper, no doubt.

Amateur

Probably B, but not much in it. Looking at both sets of attributes B gives the impression he is much better, as he has more attributes which are higher. However, are Pace, Determination, Accelration or Aggression much use for a keeper? Probably not.

But, B shades it for his superior distribution (Kicking+Throwing) and Reflexes.

Youth Team

clearly B

A is awful regardless of what level you may be playing at, so many key attributes missing

Youth Team

The only important things A is better at are Anticipation and Concentration, so keeper B is of course much better. Couldn't you aim higher? (no offense)

Moderator and Technical Support

Not sure what level you are playing at but B is much better than A, but neither are pretty great.

Amateur

When it comes to keepers the only way for sure I could know if he's better than my current keeper is to get him and play him . But attributes wise B seems better

Reserves

Its certainly not as clear as others are making out.

If we look at the important attributes for a keeper (A:B)

Aerial Ability - 11:10
    Command - 10:11
    Handling - 13:10
    One on Ones - 4:9
    Reflexes - 6:11
    Composure - 11:10
    Concentration - 13:9
    Decisions - 4:10
    Positioning - 4:5
    Agility - 12:8

Other attributes I like to consider as I tend to favour a sweeper keeper (A:B)

Communication - 3:10
    Eccentricity - 2:3
    Rushing Out - 4:10
    Acceleration - 10:10
    Pace - 13:11

Ok what do we make of this well your current keeper is significant better in 3 areas (handling, concentration & agility) but significantly worse in 3 main areas (One on ones, reflexes & decisions) + 2 secondary areas (communication & rushing out).

Overall I would say not that much between them and they both have their strengths & weaknesses. Personally I would look to the coach reports and see what strengths & weaknesses they list that give you an idea of hidden attributes - things like being consistent, likeness for big matches & fitting in with a positive team personality would all be good whilst the likes of injuries, inconsistent or not fitting in would be bad.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar2010 View Post
    Its certainly not as clear as others are making out.

If we look at the important attributes for a keeper (A:B)

Aerial Ability - 11:10
    Command - 10:11
    Handling - 13:10
    One on Ones - 4:9
    Reflexes - 6:11
    Composure - 11:10
    Concentration - 13:9
    Decisions - 4:10
    Positioning - 4:5
    Agility - 12:8

Other attributes I like to consider as I tend to favour a sweeper keeper (A:B)

Communication - 3:10
    Eccentricity - 2:3
    Rushing Out - 4:10
    Acceleration - 10:10
    Pace - 13:11

Ok what do we make of this well your current keeper is significant better in 3 areas (handling, concentration & agility) but significantly worse in 3 main areas (One on ones, reflexes & decisions) + 2 secondary areas (communication & rushing out).

Overall I would say not that much between them and they both have their strengths & weaknesses. Personally I would look to the coach reports and see what strengths & weaknesses they list that give you an idea of hidden attributes - things like being consistent, likeness for big matches & fitting in with a positive team personality would all be good whilst the likes of injuries, inconsistent or not fitting in would be bad.
    You forgot Determination, Throwing and Kicking.

Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by BiggusD View Post
    You forgot Determination, Throwing and Kicking.
    No I didn't, none of those three are listed as main or even secondary attributes for a GK.

Kicking is only the distance the keeper can get with his kick while I don't for sure but I suspect throwing is the same.

Determination isn't really relevant here but more fits in with personality/hidden attributes which I've mentioned at the bottom of my post. It is also more important when looking at younger players that you want to improve but given the level the OP is playing at he is much more interested in current ability.

Part-Timer

Sack your mate.

B's agility and positioning are worrying, but those can be trained up with individual focus. Anticipation is also low, but A has far more attributes that will stay very low.

Cheers guys...

I'm managing at the Blue Square South level FrazT

Amateur

Definitely B, as keeper A has much lower reflexes and is much poorer one on one, these are 2 of the most important attributes for a keeper.

I would definitely sign keeper B he would be a significant improvement on your current keeper, his mental abilities will improve with age as well.
    Last edited by dcaine100; 04-06-2012 at 12:23.

Youth Team

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar2010 View Post
    No I didn't, none of those three are listed as main or even secondary attributes for a GK.

Kicking is only the distance the keeper can get with his kick while I don't for sure but I suspect throwing is the same.

Determination isn't really relevant here but more fits in with personality/hidden attributes which I've mentioned at the bottom of my post. It is also more important when looking at younger players that you want to improve but given the level the OP is playing at he is much more interested in current ability.
    Determination is the single most important attribute regardless of position on the field. It affects everything a player does with and without the ball. Both kicking and throwing are very important attributes for a keeper even though they aren't listed under key attributes for a GK. Goal kicks that lands short of the halfway-line are often very dangerous and should be avoided, and when throwing is as low as 4, he won't be able to toss it outside of the 16-meter box. Both may lead to numerous goals against during a season.

The attributes that governs player development are Professionalism and Ambition, not Determination, even though the latter is often joined by the two former if it is high.

Edit: I agree with the rest of what you said, though. PA isn't very important in lower leagues.

Amateur

I'd say B, but not by much. I'd agree pretty much with what Cougar says. I'd also say it might depend on the overall quality of your team.

Keeper A's better handling might be beneficial if you're seeing teams take a lot of pot shots from distance, but most of the game is taking place in the opponent's half. He'll probably spill less balls and his better concentration means he won't switch off if he doesn't have anything to do for 20 minutes.

B is probably better if you are a lesser team, as he edges it in those areas that I'd say are more important when you're facing a fair amount of shots. Better kicking and throwing for example is an advantage if your keeper will be seeing a lot of the ball. His rushing out and reflexes mean he'll be better suited to dealing with strikers getting in behind your defence if your defence is naff. And his communication will help marshal your defence.

Amateur

Even at BSS level you should be able to do much better than both of them.

Part-Timer

B looks better

Reserves
    mountain dew >>>>>> * PSNID: trottay Twitter @allantrotter

B, although not knowing their ages and scope for improvement i can't be certain

Quote Originally Posted by underwater sunlight View Post
    B, although not knowing their ages and scope for improvement i can't be certain
    Both are 21 mate

I like a goalkeeper who can communicate, stop 1v1s, position himself well, and makes good decisions. My problem with both is that their positioning is SO poor. But otherwise B looks the better choice.

Amateur

B is slightly better, but considering the positioning for both of them it seems likely they will be standing next to the corner flag before they can use the rest of their attributes!

Amateur

明显B比较好 ,不过好像B长期没有打比赛了?morale is very poor ..

+ Reply to Thread