Chosing a captain

It is time to chose my captain for the season. The game tells me that the best choice is my 21 year old AML who is one of the best players in the world (he won that award the prior year) but his influence is only 12 and his determination 15. He is also outspoken. Should I go with him?

What I look for in a captain is someone who had good influence, decent determination, preferably of a professional personality, speaks the language of the country you play in, is a starter and has the fitness levels to not need a rest very often. Whoever fits that profile the best is who I go for as my captain.

Given your winger there has mediocre influence, I suspect there is a better candidate for the captaincy in your team.

It is time to chose my captain for the season. The game tells me that the best choice is my 21 year old AML who is one of the best players in the world (he won that award the prior year) but his influence is only 12 and his determination 15. He is also outspoken. Should I go with him?

Unless he has been playing regularly in the first team for 3 years+, then I would go for a moe senior player that would ensure squad harmony.

Unless he has been playing regularly in the first team for 3 years+, then I would go for a moe senior player that would ensure squad harmony.

He has been playing regularly. I decided to go for him. He was concerned that he was made captain at too young an age but more than half the team was happy with the choice. And no one, not even the demoted assistant captain was unhappy.

He has been playing regularly. I decided to go for him. He was concerned that he was made captain at too young an age but more than half the team was happy with the choice. And no one, not even the demoted assistant captain was unhappy.

Seems like a win win then.

What I look for in a captain is someone who had good influence, decent determination, preferably of a professional personality, speaks the language of the country you play in, is a starter and has the fitness levels to not need a rest very often. Whoever fits that profile the best is who I go for as my captain.

Excellent summary of what you need :thup:

I have been swayed into keeping an outspoken player happy before as well - making someone who might not necessarily be the best choice captain so that he feels happy. Kind of like when City made Tevez captain - he was clearly an awful choice, but it kept him happy for a while.

Other things I'd suggest you bear in mind:

Don't choose a captain with the "Argues with officials" PPM. It's a recipe for problems.

The captain's other mental attributes also rub off on the other players to a certain extent. So don't just look at influence and determination - although I'd agree that they're the most important. This was confirmed by SI about 7 years ago, so unfortunately the thread has since been purged.

Other things I'd suggest you bear in mind:

Don't choose a captain with the "Argues with officials" PPM. It's a recipe for problems.

The captain's other mental attributes also rub off on the other players to a certain extent. So don't just look at influence and determination - although I'd agree that they're the most important. This was confirmed by SI about 7 years ago, so unfortunately the thread has since been purged.

And this is why neither Rooney or Fletcher is my captain. I went with a 21 yr old instead. Worked out well.

As well as the need for Influence, Determination and a good personality, it is important to choose a player that has earned the respect among the players. He should be among the players in your club that has the highest reputation.

I made my captain Lorik Cana it was working fine till i changed my formation now because he can only play DM i hardly play him. Although he's the best captain i made it someone who is gonna play regularly!

I used him for a while. I retrained him to be a DC. His stats were perfect for that I thought.

I guess I made the right choice though because my guy fits all of everyone's suggestions except for his 12 influence and almost everyone on the team is either honored to be playing with him or thinks he is important. His only character flaw is confrontational but he likes me and the team is his favorite.

In any case, since picking him he has scored 23 goals and 10 assists in 19 games so it seems to be working out.

• 1 month later...

It depends on what qualities you want to build your team. If for example, your players are bad in positioning or anticipation, a player who have good qualities in this theme and with a good influence will be a excellent choice.

I'm suprised how all mental attributes (not only bravery, determination and workrate) can influence the other players !

One more thing, if you build your team with very old players but excellent influence, the influence of your young players will be improved dramatically if you keep them long enough ! I have actually 4 players of my academy who have 20 in influence at 20/25 years old while they had very bad influence two years ago.

I tend to go for Keepers, defenders or centre midfielder as captain. They also need good Aggression(by good in this I mean high, but not too important if they aren't aggressive) Bravery(if possible, but not the most important), Determination, Influence, Team work and work rate.

Archived