Tycoon Takeovers

Throughout me playing various versions of FM, you seem to occasionally get tycoons taking over clubs and bankrolling them to success.

I was just wondering has that ever happened at YOUR club?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recently had a takeover on my Newcastle save. Mike Ashley sold to another local businessman, not put any money into the transfer kitty though. If truth be told, it would have spoilt my game if i'd had a bottomless pit of funds. Part of the fun is finding a hidden gem (a mystery to me why people use GS) or developing a youth into a class player.

Nope, no tycoon for me thank you very much!

Had a tycoon before but wouldn't want one again. It just gave me the freedom to buy pretty much whoever I wanted. I like to buy young or cheap players and turn them into stars. If my club become good then I like to think most of it is down to what I have done. The tycoon took that away from me.

i have actually stopped my long term bottom to top with basingstoke as second season now since i had a tycoon. ruined it for me. sounds good to begin with bottomless pit of money but when you have a good young squad and youth making 2 to 3 star players every season you dont need to spend it.

agreed with op as well. better buying cheap young players and developing hidden gems.

Just because you have the money doesnt mean you have to spend it, pump it into youth, wages and facilities.

I got taken over on fm10 and i only spent what i needed to to improve my squad, i didnt spend stupid amounts on unrealistic transfers.

I did not get a tycoon takeover but i did manage to turn a debt ridden Rangers into a £200m valued European giant who has won the CL twice and now sees my average yearly budget at just below £100m a season.

Yet i never spend it, i just hate the idea of spending more than £15m on any one player. (bought 2 players for 12m each and the rest of my 60+ signings this save have been anything from 8m to free.

Plus i am saving up for a new stadium.

Happened when I was at Adelaide United. I got 29m into the bank and a 11m trasnfer budget. The problem is you can't spend the money given as the wages can't be adjusted in the A-League. As such, you cannot ever offer more than around 1.5m per year in wages. If the tycoon wanted to bring in a Dario Conca or Nic Anelka as has happened in China you just cannot do it in Australia. We even have a rule (which the MLS copied) where you can have two players who you are allowed to pay whatever you want and it doesn't affect the salary cap.

I was appointed manager of Coventry after they were relegated to league one in the first year, upgraded youth facilities to 'state of the art' and the training to 'top' i've £18mil in the bank and £8mil to spend on players, managed to sign people like Peter Whittingham, Fraizer Campbell, and a few of my better layers from my time at stevenage.

Recently had a takeover on my Newcastle save. Mike Ashley sold to another local businessman, not put any money into the transfer kitty though. If truth be told, it would have spoilt my game if i'd had a bottomless pit of funds. Part of the fun is finding a hidden gem (a mystery to me why people use GS) or developing a youth into a class player.

Nope, no tycoon for me thank you very much!

I love the part about developing players and finally found the hidden gem to end all hidden gems in my current FM11 save.

I've had one boardroom takeover in my save where a board member replaced the outgoing chairman.

I attempted a Rangers game, thought it would be interesting with the lack of funds, 2 months into the game club got taken over by an indian tycoon. Walked the league that season, then bought a load of top quality players....dominated Scotland for a while.

Wouldn't say no to having a tycoon, I think at times when you really need investment it's a god send.

I've taken Boston United up from Conference North to the Premier League, and after a few season in the Premier League, straight after a season winning the Club World Cup, League Cup and Premier League (for the first time), I had an Argentinian tycoon takeover.

He seems to be good at business, as we now have sponsorships bringing in around £35m a year. I have won the league 3 out of the 4 seasons since he took over, the League Cup every season and the Champions League in the latest season (part of a League, League Cup and Champions League treble).

It has simply given me the freedom to buy the players I've wanted, without having to sell players to balance the books. In the seasons since he tookover, I have spent £71m, £79m, £117m and £51m (haven't even got out of July yet!), but still brought in £23.5m, £56m, £40m and £6.75m - a £191.75m net spend over 3 and a bit season.

I do spend a lot on young players, as I struggle to get enough home grown players for the Champions League. I have now started buying players at the age of 15 or 16, and hoping they develop enough. I buy the odd established player, but only if I need to and lack quality in a certain area - such as £30m on 24 year old who had scored 79 Premier League goals in 2 and a half seasons!

Had a board takeover whilst playing as Arsenal. It was towards the end of my third season in charge, but I didn't get fired. No change in my transfer budget or debts.

I've taken Boston United up from Conference North to the Premier League, and after a few season in the Premier League, straight after a season winning the Club World Cup, League Cup and Premier League (for the first time), I had an Argentinian tycoon takeover.

He seems to be good at business, as we now have sponsorships bringing in around £35m a year. I have won the league 3 out of the 4 seasons since he took over, the League Cup every season and the Champions League in the latest season (part of a League, League Cup and Champions League treble).

It has simply given me the freedom to buy the players I've wanted, without having to sell players to balance the books. In the seasons since he tookover, I have spent £71m, £79m, £117m and £51m (haven't even got out of July yet!), but still brought in £23.5m, £56m, £40m and £6.75m - a £191.75m net spend over 3 and a bit season.

I do spend a lot on young players, as I struggle to get enough home grown players for the Champions League. I have now started buying players at the age of 15 or 16, and hoping they develop enough. I buy the odd established player, but only if I need to and lack quality in a certain area - such as £30m on 24 year old who had scored 79 Premier League goals in 2 and a half seasons!

Any chance you have a save game from before he took over and can upload it :p

I've never had a Tycoon at all, but it wouldn't bother me if I did because I never buy players anyway. All I'd do with money is pump it into facilities :)

Thats exactly what im going to do, wanted to produce almost a 'Newcastle Lions' like Celtic with players just from the north-east, hopefully this will help!

Has anyone ever had a tycoon, spent loadsa money and got people on huge long contracts....

....then had the tycoon bail and leave you with a shed load of debt!!!???

That would be a fun mess to sort out. Especially if you soon got relegated and had to go back to basics/youth development.

Has anyone ever had a tycoon, spent loadsa money and got people on huge long contracts....

....then had the tycoon bail and leave you with a shed load of debt!!!???

That would be a fun mess to sort out. Especially if you soon got relegated and had to go back to basics/youth development.

anyone had this? and what years did you all get your tycoon takeovers

well my chairman is selling up I am 3 seasons in at dover been promoted every season got a very young team with a little experience like mcsheffery ilunga and wordsworth with all of my players wanted by bigger clubs got a good win ratio (obviously) and has a tactic that works against bigger and smaller reputation teams not perfect though as I do still concede all the players like me and respond to my team talks.

despite all this a consortium are trying to take us over and replace me with peter freacking reid!!!!

Had none in FM12, but one at Newcastle as well in FM10.

Actually it spoiled the fun for me because having endless money made any success feel dull and too easy while any runner-up position already felt like disaster. In my view you can only lose once you are that rich.

In year 3 after the tycoon takeover I won the CL and immediately after the tycoon withdrew his spending to the club. Immediately thereafter the save was fun again :)

You need to be in a league in which tycoon takeovers are allowed, which is the case in all English leagues. There is an extra file in one of the db folders in which you can check in which countries such takeovers are not allowed.

With respect to the league level I belive that a tycoon takeover is more likely the higher you are (as obviously EPL participation is more interesting to any investor than a challenge for promotion to the BSN), but I have seen clubs in lower leagues having had tycoons as well.

If a (your) club is having a takeover, each kind of takeover has a certain likelihood to appear, so there is always the possibility that it's a tycoon when you are in the right country, but a tycoon takeover is obviously the least likely variant.

So tyo get a tycoon takeover in england i need to have all the english leagues playable? where can i find this file? its not in my db folder and has anyone ever set there game on hoilday for a few seasons in serach of a tycoon takeover?

In my Liverpool save Sheffield Wednesday got a Tycoon takeover and their still in the npower after 4 seasons mid table built a new stadium and upgraded facilities... but their still in the npower division after 4 seasons... who knows that their doing with the money.. Not buying players thats for sure.. Same thing happened in Italy Bresca(spelling) got a tycoon around the same time as sheffield.. again their lingering around religation..

I was bored after about 15 seasons at liverpool and a 600mil transfer budget so I decided to start a new save with my home town Widzew Lodz in Poland. There was a tycoon take over for a mid table team that fell apart at the last second. I dodged a bullet as they would have made my life alot harder in that league but at the same time would be nice to get that league goin as im trying to do.

Cheltenham were taken over by a Qatari oil baron on my save, while in the BSP. They've only managed to improve from a 4th place finish as he joined, to two consecutive 3rd place finishes, despite spending £3.3m on wages a year! Looks like they will be promoted at the third attempt though.

Tottenham have just been taken over in my Burnley save, they sacked AVB and got in Michael Laurdrup... they went form a 4* team to a 5* after finishing 10th in the league, so far theyve spent 230m and are still in the process of signing aguero for 45m, crazy monies!! Im in 2016 btw.

And now fulham have been taken over by a greek tycoon, with the manager having 200m to spend... im struggling to get fourth each season with no budget (20m) and these guys are now going to be competing!!

Tottenham have just been taken over in my Burnley save, they sacked AVB and got in Michael Laurdrup... they went form a 4* team to a 5* after finishing 10th in the league, so far theyve spent 230m and are still in the process of signing aguero for 45m, crazy monies!! Im in 2016 btw.

And now fulham have been taken over by a greek tycoon, with the manager having 200m to spend... im struggling to get fourth each season with no budget (20m) and these guys are now going to be competing!!

Sounds like a challage tell us how they do next season.

I have seen a few clubs have a tycoon take over but never at a club i am managing .The nearest i came was a mesage that a tycoon was interested in taking the club over but that was it and a while later another board member (Yvonne Allen)took over the reins of the club from Ken Bates .

On a save I finished about 1 month ago, Valencia got a tycoon takeover in the 2072.

They had been flirting with relegation each season since their promotion back into La Liga in 2064, but rather sensationally, managed to avoid the drop even when it looked inevitable.

Anyway, some Mexican (iirc) businessman took control and started pumping tonnes of money into the club. New stadium and facilities announced in the first 3 years, as well as significant investment in the playing squad (about £400m over about 4/5 years). They got a top manager, a regen called Manuel Velasquez (or something like that) who had led Man Utd to 8 titles in 11 years (as well as 3 CL's, 2 WCC's, 7 FAC's, 5 CC's + 8 CS's), and they never looked back really.

I was the manager of Malaga, and they bought 4 players from me over the 5 or so years with a total bill of about £130m (of which, my chairman released about £40m :@ ), and they have gone on to pretty much dominate European football since the takeover.

Their first title was in (iirc) 2075, and in the next 10 years, they won 8 league titles and I think 5 CL's. I gave up trying to challenge them, because, it was impossible for the squad and finances I had and so I left to go back to League 2 Cheltenham Town, who I had at one point, got to the CL final after winning 3 successive PL's.

In my Vitesse save (already backed by a sugar daddy) .. PSV midway through the first season got a tycoon takeover.

In the 3 seasons since they have had Roberto Mancini, Carlo Ancelotti and currently have Jose Mourinho as managers... they all flopped miserably so far without a trophy to their name and probably spend at least 50m per season, if not near 100m on their squad. Got some good players, but the bloke dosent have patience, hence the revolving managerial door.

Archived