Crazy Canuck on European Managerial Tour - Hitchiking Across the Continent Again!

rancer890

If any of you remember this short lived save, some of you will be happy to hear that I am going to continue with this exact save, but with a different team, and a totally different story. The only things that will remain are the manager Ricky Nakano (I'm not going to start with a new manager) and continuing the save itself. I didn't really want to start from the bottom again and I liked the rep I built with Dudelange, Avangard Kursk, and Maccabi Tel-Aviv so elected not to start fresh with the manager.

So you can have a brief look at the old thread to see the league setup and everything (it's 50 or 51 Euro leagues bar Albania, Azerbaijan and Macedonia + MLS if you're too lazy to look). But first some Q&A.

1. Why are you quitting the Markham save?

Yes I agree it's probably very bizarre for your perspective for me to quit when I'm only 1 tier below MLS. But TBH I just got tired of the rules I put myself in and it wasn't fun anymore. Also not helping was the fact that most of my best players didn't want to negotiate new contracts. As well as the youth poaching thing. So yeah, it's a bit disappointing but hopefully this save lasts for a bit. Pretty much the only rule is no cheating. I will only use player search to sign bosmans and find foreign coaches, because I don't like how the adverts only come back with domestic staff, and foreign coaches can recommend foreign players who give me a bit more options to choose from.

2. Are you crazy you quitter?

Maybe, I did quit from Tel-Aviv when they were 1st place when I restarted this and they eventually won the league :D. But the other reason was because I had no connection with any of the players anymore (because I didn't remember any of them), and didn't like Israel's league rules.

3. Where are you headed?

Details will be known in post #3. But it's a country and league with minimal league restrictions (or less restrictions than Israel).

4. No crash dumps? IIRC, you stopped this save already because of crash dumps?

There was the occasional crash dump in this save after I restarted it. Some were very annoying. Some were less annoying. But it's a lot better than before. Of course, it went smoothly the season before I started posting yearly updates as well....

5. Update format?

Beginning of season with expectations and such, preseason/summer transfer window roundup, youth candidate update (if there's any decent youths), end of season update. Internationals will include World Cup update, as well as Gold Cup/Asian Cup/Euros/Copa America (if managing a country based there). If I manage an international team, probably updates will happen every two months, or during the region's main competition.

Something I really enjoyed though was writing up newspaper articles about Markham, and it's something I would like to do with this thread as well.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Career Summary

Chapter 1: SV Zulte Waregem

2016-2017

2017-2018

Chapter 2: Club Brugge KV

2018-2019

Chapter 3: FC Bayern Munchen

Manager Salaries

2016-2017: $245,000

2017-2018: $245,000

2018-2019: $475,000

2022-2023: $2,200,000

2023-2024: $2,200,000

Awards

2016-2017: Belgian Manager of the Year Runner-Up

2017-2018: Belgian Manager of the Year Winner

2023-2024: German Manager of the Year Winner

The Club:

Zultewaregemlogo.png

SV Zulte Waregem - Jupiler Pro League (Belgium) - 2016-2017

So the lucky club to have my services are Zulte Waregem of Belgium. They're a team who haven't had much success in the Pro League, usually finishing lower mid-table. Their best ever league finish was 7th, in 2011-2012. They haven't done well while in the Pro League but hopefully, Ricky Nakano might be able to turn them into a powerhouse immediately....

The first season has already been completed, so update coming soon.

The Country:

Csa_logo.png

I hope the logo is large enough to see which national team I'm managing.

:D

We had some friendlies already, but not the best results...

2016:

Nov. 12 - at Bulgaria - D 1-1

Nov. 16 - at Iceland - L 1-3

2017:

Jan. 6 - at Nicaragua - W 2-1

Feb. 8 - at Qatar - L 1-2

Mar. 22 - vs Martinique - W 3-0

Upcoming friendlies:

June 3 - vs N. Ireland

June 7 - vs New Zealand

July 5 - at Richmond Kickers

2017 Gold Cup in July.

Group A - Canada, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, USA

Group B - Costa Rica, Cuba, El Salvador, Jamaica

Group C - Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico

Our World Ranking is 97th.

Zultewaregemlogo.png

SV Zulte Waregem - Belgian Jupiler Pro League - 2016-2017

Standings | Championship Group | Fixtures 1 Fixtures 2 - A very satisfying first season with Zulte Waregem. Too bad we couldn't just score one more goal!

Cofidis Cup - A great run in the cup competition as we made it all the way to the Semi-Finals.

Transfers - My inner General Manager made all these moves after so many years of not signing players. :D

We got rid of a lot of players, and in turn signed a lot. It was a bit risky with so much turnover, but it worked out.

Seby Fernandes - My first signing is an Indian international. He was playing earlier in the season but we signed some players and he didn't play as much. He's still a very good player though.

Muhammad Ahmed - He was a bit unhappy with playing time at KV Mechelen, playing in only 7 league games over 5 seasons, so decided to capitalize on the situation. He's young, but he has a lot of potential to be very good in this league.

Jorn Vermeulen - A good season for him at right back, but this is a position that could use an improvement.

Edgar Gauracs - He was signed to be the main focal point of the offense, but he was slightly disappointing because I was expecting double digit goals from him. He was a reliable goal scorer for Yenisey in the Russian Pervyj Division but it didn't translate in Belgium's top flight.

Tarek Salhi - He was good till his unfortunate injury. He won't be back next season.

Kristoffer Tokstad - Unhappy about playing time with Twente, he was offered for $150k, which seems like a bargain purchase for a player of his quality. There is minor interest from German club Frankfurt, as well as a couple Belgian clubs and one from Norway.

Nils Schouterden - He was offered by an agent after spending a few years in the UK (St. Johnstone and Burnley). He had a fantastic season and now Club Brugge want him.

Artak Dashyan - We found him during a scouting trip to Eastern Europe. $170k was a very good price to pay for him.

Keegan Ritchie - Largely unused since coming to Germany from South Africa, he has revived his career with Zulte Waregem. He's a favourite to start next season, if Dutch club AZ and Karlsruhe of Germany don't swoop in for his services.

Jan Deschacht - I'm very pleased with this signing. He came out of league winners Anderlecht's academy onto the youth team, but was unable to prove himself. Fortunately, we managed to squeeze enough budget to acquire him. I want team players, and Jan is exactly that.

Omar Camara - A late loan signing as I was looking for another CB for depth and found him. He didn't play in any games during his nearly 3 years in Belgium before he joined on loan. He did well and I want him back on loan next year.

----

Squad - From the squad I initially had, this one's a lot better. Of course, it needs a little tweaking but I think we can challenge the top teams once we make some adjustments.

Among the key holdovers at the squad include:

GK - Kabiro Kamara - a very good 'keeper this season.

DC - Miguel Dachelet - our best defender. Now we just need him signed long term.

ST/AMR - Mohamed Boualem - Team MVP this season. And he was also league MVP as well, winning the Ebony Boot award. Unfortunately, his contract runs out at the end of next season so he might not stay at the club for long.

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

We have no money right now but prize money hopefully will put back into the black. Hopefully next season our two parent clubs Monaco and Stuttgart can send us good players...

Goals for Next season

• Score 100 league goals!
  • Title Challenge
  • Sign some good defenders

Career Summary:

Overview

Year Team Country League Position Notes
2016-2017 SV Zulte Waregem Belgium Jupiler Pro League 3rd 99 league goals scored!!!

logo_dh_fond_clair.jpg

[translated from French to English]

An Interview with Ricky Nakano

After a fantastic finish to the Jupiler Pro League season, La Derniere Heure's own Hilaire Mailhot sat down with SV Zulte Waregem manager Ricky Nakano to talk about the season that was just completed.

Hilaire Mailhot: Thank you for taking some time to talk to us, Mr. Nakano. It was an exciting end to the season, and I'm sure many Belgian football fans are shocked to see your small Zulte Waregem club finish in a fantastic 3rd place!

Ricky Nakano: Yes, Ms. Mailhot, it was a fantastic season and I'm sure everyone who supports the club are overjoyed about the finishing position.

HM: It was a great pleasure to watch your team play all year. What was your secret to success?

RN: It was a combination of things. Firstly, I thank owner Jonis Verschuere for having the faith to hire me even though I think there were better choices out there with a better knowledge of Belgian football. He gave me the necessary resources to finish in 3rd place in the league. Secondly, it's definitely the backroom staff that I've assembled. They worked hard scouting and finding the right players to fit into my tactic. These players worked very hard and it paid off. And lastly, the supporters, because without them there is no Zulte Wargerem club.

HM: Your club mesmerized even supporters at other clubs with all those goals you scored. I'm sure many fans whether they supportered Zulte Wargerem or not, wanted goal 100. What's your opinion about scoring so many goals?

RN: I'm an avid supporter of attacking football. I think there's a place in the game to score lots of goals and still win, and we achieved that. I wanted goal 100 as well, because that meant we were going to play in the Champions League, but this is a very big first step for us to challenging in Europe.

HM: You seem very ambitious with your plan after only year at the club. Standard had a down year, but Anderlecht, Genk, and Club Brugge were all tough opposition for you. Can you do it again next season?

RN: I hope so. We have a lot of the right pieces at the club already, and all that's needed to be down is a tweak here and there, and I think we're ready to compete with the best teams in Belgium. This is a very competitive league and next season will only be more fierce as clubs look to improve, and we will have to improve too.

HM: You had a lot of turnover in the previous season. Some experts were wondering if that would trigger a disharmony at the club. But you proved doubters wrong and came away with a fantastic season. Your thoughts?

RN: I'm not really a believer that lots of change is bad. I didn't change the team for the sake of change, I made changes because I wanted the team to get better and win.

HM: So the players that left weren't good enough for you?

RN: Not necessarily. As I was still evaluating the club, I wanted to start with a clean sheet, and bring in my own players who I thought would fit in with the team. You can look at my signings. A lot of players weren't happy at other clubs or weren't getting any playing time. It was a great job by the scouting staff to see untapped potential. Keegan Ritchie wasn't playing much at Stuttgart, and we were fortunate to sign him as a free agent. Jan Deschacht came from the best academy in the country in Anderlecht. He wasn't playing games and we paid a good sum to Anderlecht for this player. They were really high on the player for the future, but Jan and Anderlecht came to a realization that he might have to take his talents to another club, and we inquired about his services and eventually signed him. And look at him now, scoring 13 goals in 21 appearances. He's a goal scorer.

HM: What was the highlight of the season?

RN: A lot of things really. It was really special beating Anderlecht a couple times. They lost only 4 times all season, so beating him two times out of four was a good achievement. I hope we can beat them in the future as well. I'm sure they are the measuring stick to everyone. They are a team we want to be, because we want to win the league too.

HM: You have a very ambitious personality Mr. Nakano!

RN: [laughs] Well it's my nature to be ambitious and competitive. And I think the squad shares this mentality. With everyone on the same page at the club, the sky is the limit.

Good luck rancer. Nice start to your first season in charge of SV Zulte Waregem.

Cheers markyosullivan! It's a good start but hopefully not short-lived. Gotta resign those key players!

Should be an interesting career. Belgium is an interesting place to manage!

Cheers cerud. Never managed in Belgium as well. Should be fun. :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=1814&cid=18

2017 Gold Cup Squad

*Denotes newgen player

Goalkeepers: Milan Borjan (unattached), Simon Thomas (Watford, England)

Defenders: Nana Attakora (Esbjerg fB, Denmark), Daniel Baker* (Nimes, France), Marcel de Jong (FC Groningen, Netherlands), Andre Hainault (New York, USA), Dejan Jakovic (KV Mechelen, Belgium), Patrizio Leali* (FC Edmonton, Canada), Ashtone Morgan (Esbjerg fB, Denmark), Antonio Rego (Almere City, Netherlands), Mason Trafford (H. Kfar-Saba, Israel)

Midfielders: Bryce Alderson (Henefoss, Norway), Philippe Davies (AGF, Denmark), Janeil Hoilett (Stabaek, Norway), Junior Hoilett (Chelsea, England), Will Johnson (Hull, England), Simon Marcina* (IF Brommapojkarna, Sweden), Matt Stinson (AGF, Denmark)

Forwards: Vince Fletcher* (Aalesund, Norway), Marcus Haber (St. Johnstone, Scotland), Simeon Jackson (Valerenga, Norway), Kyle Porter (FC Edmonton, Canada)

----

It's not a very strong squad, but hopefully we'll do alright...we drew Northern Ireland and New Zealand in the June friendlies.

Gold Cup Schedule

July 9: vs USA

July 11: vs Trinidad & Tobago

July 13: vs Panana

Zultewaregemlogo.png

SV Zulte Waregem - Belgian Jupiler Pro League - 2017-2018 Pre-season

Media Prediction: 5th

Jupiler Pro League Expectation: Compete alongside the top teams (Europa League qualification)

UEFA Europa League Expectation: Have fun!

Cofidis Cup Expectation: Reach Quarter-Final

TV Rights: $748k

Transfer Budget: $1.31 million

Wage Budget: $5 million (currently spending $5,017,376)

2017 Gold Cup Squad

*Denotes newgen player

Goalkeepers: Milan Borjan (unattached), Simon Thomas (Watford, England)

Defenders: Nana Attakora (Esbjerg fB, Denmark), Daniel Baker* (Nimes, France), Marcel de Jong (FC Groningen, Netherlands), Andre Hainault (New York, USA), Dejan Jakovic (KV Mechelen, Belgium), Patrizio Leali* (FC Edmonton, Canada), Ashtone Morgan (Esbjerg fB, Denmark), Antonio Rego (Almere City, Netherlands), Mason Trafford (H. Kfar-Saba, Israel)

Midfielders: Bryce Alderson (Henefoss, Norway), Philippe Davies (AGF, Denmark), Janeil Hoilett (Stabaek, Norway), Junior Hoilett (Chelsea, England), Will Johnson (Hull, England), Simon Marcina* (IF Brommapojkarna, Sweden), Matt Stinson (AGF, Denmark)

Forwards: Vince Fletcher* (Aalesund, Norway), Marcus Haber (St. Johnstone, Scotland), Simeon Jackson (Valerenga, Norway), Kyle Porter (FC Edmonton, Canada)

----

Group Stage

Group A - Canada, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, USA

Game 1: vs USA - L 2-5

USA were just too strong for us.

Game 2: vs Trinidad & Tobago - W 4-3

A nerveracking match ends on a good note for us. It's a bit early but my job was probably on the line if we didn't win.

Game 3: vs Panama - D 3-3

Unlucky we couldn't hang on for the win but we qualified from the group which was the goal.

Standings (bold denotes qualified)

Group A - USA - 7pts, Canada - 4pts, Panama - 3pts, Trinidad & Tobago - 1pt

Group B - Costa Rica - 7pts, Jamaica - 6pts, Cuba - 2pts, El Salvador - 1pt

Group C - Mexico - 7pts, Honduras - 6pts, Guatemala - 3pts, Haiti - 1pt

Quarter-Final Matchups:

Honduras vs Canada

Guatemala vs Panama

Costa Rica vs Mexico

Jamaica vs USA

Quarter-Finals - vs Honduras - L 0-3

We were never really in the game and Honduras controlled the match and deserved the win.

Quarter-Final Results:

Honduras 3-0 Canada

Guatemala 2-1 Panama

Costa Rica 2-5 Mexico

Jamaica (e) 3-1 USA

Semi-Final Results:

Honduras 1-2 Guatemala

Mexico 4-1 Jamaica

Final

Mexico (e) 2-0 Guatemala

Klinsmann was sacked after the Gold Cup.

-----

Rest of the Year:

We only got friendlies planned...

Aug. 16: at Puerto Rico

Sept. 9: at Belize

Sept. 13: at St. Vincent & the Grenadines

Oct. 14: vs Montserrat

So it's a bit different than facing top 100 opposition earlier in the year, but it gives a chance to hit the reset button and evaluate some members of the squad better and try new things without much pressure. Our World Ranking is now 108th, between Armenia and Albania.

Serious goalscoring form in your first season.
What delta said :).

We went all out. I'm just hoping we can maintain something similar for the upcoming season. We made quite a lot of changes which will be posted after the end of the transfer window. :)

Excellent first season with Zulte Waregem,hope you can hit 100 goals next season.Honduras was always going to be a tough game but it's good to see your still there!

Honduras is always a difficult match. Congrats on the Quarter Finals.

Cheers. Honduras was probably harder than the US game to me. Sucks I had to face them...

Excellent first season with Zulte Waregem,hope you can hit 100 goals next season.Honduras was always going to be a tough game but it's good to see your still there!

Cheers B.W.G. It'll be a bit challenging to reach 100 goals but hope I can do it. :D

It'll be tough though. I'll just want a similar finishing position.

Great results against Anderlecht in your first season, thought they'd be the toughest team to go against but you made it look easy beating them twice ;)

It was nice scoring 7-8 goals a couple times but soundly beating Anderlecht was just as fun! They killed us in the Championship Group matches tho. :D

Zultewaregemlogo.png

SV Zulte Waregem - Belgian Jupiler Pro League - 2017-2018 Off-season Signings

ZulteWaregemTransfers_History-1.png

It was another busy transfer window for Zulte Waregem manager Ricky Nakano as he went on with re-shaping the squad as he's had a full year of management with the club to determine who's good enough to stay and who to let go to find new reinforcements. It was once again a minor rebuild of sorts as he deals out some very big names, and acquiring some good talent on shrewd signings as well. Firstly, let's look at the transfers in:

Sebastian Kost - Signed from a 4th tier German side, he has lots of potential yet to be untapped.

Komlan Assogba - For now, he's the backup to the backup...

Abdulateef Al-Amri - We dip into Asia once again after signing an Indian last year. He's pretty good though and will be a backup.

Prestone Zenaba - It was a steal to get him on a free on these wages!!! Only downside is the $1.3 million minimum release clause.

Jose Carlos - A solid CB. He's a bit slow but he has lots of potential. He came become a Homegrown player by the end of the 2019-2020 season if he stays at the club.

Lukas Hrdlicka - A young striker. He'll be a main backup at ST and AMR. He can also become Homegrown at the club in June 2020.

Shinsuke Shimohira - Yet another Asian players joins the club. It's probably a red flag to have a CB who can't jump (cheers SI for this weirdness on the newgens), but we're working hard on it in training...and he scored a goal already so we know he can jump when we need him to!

Gonzalo Soria - A talented young midfielder. I think he's a steal.

Eder - A decent sigining. He's mainly a replacement for the departed Mohamed Boualem. I sold him because he wasn't going to agree on a new contract, and the club really could use the money. Eder isn't as good as Boualem, but as long as he can help us win, it's fine.

Souheil Ben Radhia - He was offered by his agent to the club and we were looking for a right back at the right price. He's a veteran presence and he gives us very strong depth.

Lazaros Christodoulopoulos - The kit man is probably really really mad for me loaning this player (:D) but he was only loaned for depth purposes, albeit very expensive depth. We are paying 50% of his salary. He's just a veteran who can hopefully chip in every now and then.

As for players leaving the club, as previously mentioned, the one big name is Boualem. Kamara was another player who was let go, although that was because we already signed his replacement, so he was free to leave for his release clause.

-------

160px-Europa_league.svg.png

Zulte Waregem entered at the 4th Qualifying Round. Winning this round meant going to the Group Stages. Unfortunately, we drew Greece powerhouse Olympiacos.

Leg 1: Olympiacos 3-2 Zulte Waregem

Leg 2: Zulte Waregem 1-1 Olympiacos

It was a narrow loss, and I was a bit annoyed, and I threw the kitchen sink in the 2nd leg, but we tried our best...we'll be better next year for sure.

2017 Friendlies

August 16: @ Puerto Rico - D 1-1

September 9: @ Belize - W 2-0

September 13: @ St. Vincent & The Grenadines - D 1-1

October 14: vs Montserrat - W 3-0

November 18: vs Scotland - D 1-1

Best XI

GK - Milan Borjan - 4 apps, 6.80 AVR

DR - Nana Attakora - 7 apps, 6.83 AVR

DC - Adam Straith - 7 apps, 7.07 AVR

DC - Dejan Jakovic - 14 apps, 3 goals, 6.80 AVR

DL - Andre Hainault - 13 apps, 2 goals, 6.98 AVR

MR - Junior Hoilett - 14 apps, 7 goals, 7.34 AVR

MC - Will Johnson - 11 apps, 2 goals, 6.95 AVR

MC - Philippe Davies - 13 apps, 6.88 AVR

ML - Nicholas Lindsay - 3 apps, 1 goal, 7.10 AVR

ST - Marcus Haber - 6 apps, 2 goals, 7.02 AVR

ST - Vince Fletcher - 11 apps, 3 goals, 6.83 AVR

------

GK - Michal Misiewicz - 2 apps, 6.70 AVR

DC - Byrce Alderson - 3 apps, 6.73 AVR

MC - Matt Stinson - 12 apps, 2 goals, 6.80 AVR

ML/MR - Simon Marcina - 10 apps, 6.80 AVR

ST - Simeon Jackson - 11 apps, 2 goals, 6.69 AVR

DL - Patrizio Leali - 3 apps, 6.77 AVR

ST - Caolan Lavery - 3 apps, 6.67 AVR

It's a bit brief but playing the friendlies meant my game crashed so my ass man managed the games...no plans for 2018 yet. I'm busy with Zulte Waregem so the first friendly will probably be in June as a warmup for one of the teams going into the World Cup.

logo_dh_fond_clair.jpg

A Journey from the Far East to Zulte Waregem

Normally, football expansion into the Far East is reserved for the big clubs like Manchester United, who probably have the most fans in the world -- mostly from the country with the most people, China, but SV Zulte Waregem are quickly becoming a hotbed for Asian players. Seby Fernandes (India), Abdulateef Al-Amri (Saudi Arabia), and Shinsuke Shimohira (Japan). Even Belgian Muhammad Ahmed is part-Pakistani. And now, the club has signed another Asian, possibly Hong Kong's best player,

Fu Tak Man. And rumours are now out that the club are looking into signing a Malaysian player. Recently, a couple Chinese players were trial at the club but were not offered a contract.

Asked about this influx of Asians to the club, manager Ricky Nakano simply replied: "We don't really sign players based on nationality. Other than the Pro League rules which state we need a certain number of Belgians on the match day squad, there aren't other restrictions. We just want to sign footballers who can help us win. Nationality has nothing to do with it."

"This season we had as many players signed at the club who are from African descent as those from Asia. We just want to sign players who can help us win, simple as that. Just because I'm part Asian myself has nothing to do with me signing Asian players. We are not looking to sign a player from Malaysia nor from Qatar. I am very happy with the squad right now and it's unlikely we will make further changes until the off-season."

I wonder if signing Asian players does give you extra revenue from there most likely being more supporters

Not really too sure about that. We have Asian players but none of them are star players.

And as I type this I'm offered a Vietnamese player and a North Korean player. I'm beyond shocked they even have agents in North Korea... ;)

I must say, I do like your writing style :thup:

Good stuff in Belgium too. I have managed a few sides there in my time and the league system is still mental.

Cheers Daz. I write a bit in my spare time (which is really spare) like short stories and the occasional drama script. I have a bad habit of writing lots of typos though. :D

It's a lot of fun in Belgium. The top tier isn't that crazy to me, but I've handled MLS before so to me it's just the same game, and that's to attempt to win every single game. :thup:

Cheers Daz. I write a bit in my spare time (which is really spare) like short stories and the occasional drama script. I have a bad habit of writing lots of typos though. :D

It's a lot of fun in Belgium. The top tier isn't that crazy to me, but I've handled MLS before so to me it's just the same game, and that's to attempt to win every single game. :thup:

Yeah, so long as you aim to win each match, you're ok :)

logo_dh_fond_clair.jpg

Zulte Waregem are Belgian Jupiler Pro League Champs!!!

WAREGEM - Move over Anderlecht, a new club has risen above the ashes to the top of Belgium's top tier. SV Zulte Waregem, who were near the top of the table all season, have done the unthinkable and have won the Jupiler Pro League. With the title still undecided at the end of the season, Belgium's top two teams this season were matched up at Waregem to determine the league champion in the final game of the Championship Group. Anderlecht were in a must win situation, as they were at a two point disadvantage at the start of the match, while their opponents only needed points to secure the title. Jan Deschacht put pressure on their opponents early after converting a 3rd minute penalty. Centreback Jose Carlos scored two goals off set pieces and Zulte Waregem took a commanding 3-0 lead into halftime. Anderlecht scored one goal in the 60th minute, and Carlos gave up a penalty to Anderlecht, who fortunately for the hosts, hit one right at 'keeper Prestone Zenaba. Brazilian attacking midfielder Eder finished off the rout with a finish from close range in the 88th minute. Unfortunately, it was a bittersweet victory for the club as Deschacht was carted off in the 83rd minute and sources have confirmed that he has torn a groin muscle, possibly missing the next 2 months. He was on the Preliminary Squad on Belgium's World Cup squad, but Deschacht will have to wait another 4 years to have the opportunity to participate in a World Cup.

Manager Ricky Nakano was no doubt happy about the league championship. "I'm just ecstatic about everyone associated with the team," he stated, "it's a testament of the hard work everyone has done at the club to make all this possible. I can't describe this feeling in words. We believed in ourselves, and it's great to win the title and celebrate in front of our home fans."

Asked about Deschacht's unfortunate injury, Nakano said, "it's unfortunate because he was our Most Valuable Player all season, and I believe the MVP of the league. You don't score 36 goals in 46 games by pure luck. I'm not a doctor, but I hope he can make a full recovery. It sucks, because he was on the Preliminary Squad for the upcoming World Cup. I think he has potential to be a solid player at the international level with Belgium. He's still very young at 22, I think he has a lot left in the future for club and country."

Yeah, so long as you aim to win each match, you're ok :)

We won enough of them. :)

Quite a multicultural team you're building in Belgium :D Shame Europe had to end so soon, but Olympiakos are a pretty tough team to draw straight up.

I can't help it heh. This year was redemption though. I'm ecstatic about our performance in the past season. :thup:

Zultewaregemlogo.png

SV Zulte Waregem - Belgian Jupiler Pro League - 2017-2018

Standings | Championship Group | Fixtures 1 Fixtures 2 - A brilliant end to the season and Zulte Waregem are league champs!

UEFA Europa League - We failed to make it to the Group Stage after losing in the 4th Qualifying Round.

Cofidis Cup - We met expectations getting to the Quarter-Final, but we had to deal with Anderlecht, and we lost on penalties.

-------

Transfers - Lots of turnover at the club again, here are the key ones joining over the past season:

Prestone Zenaba - Great 'keeper. He was big for us in some occasions.

Jose Carlos - He really helped out with some timely goals. I rejected offers from Chelsea for him and now Fiorentina, Inter, and Lazio all want him. The media are hyping him as the next Humberto Coelho.

Lukas Hrdlicka - He mainly spent the year on the wing, and he did his job when called upon.

Shinsuke Shimohira - I used him more as the year went on, and he did a solid job.

Gonzalo Soria - The Peruvian had a great season in the middle of the park and he's a key member moving forward.

Eder - I wasn't too sure initially on how Eder would fare in Belgium, but I'm happy with his contribution this past season. He could be on the move again as Coritiba in his home country and Turkish giants Fenerbahce are interested in him.

Souheil Ben Radhia - He did a good job as right back but he's declining as a footballer and I will need a replacement again.

Jamil Rusen - We were struggling a bit on offense when we signed him, and although he didn't put up numbers anywhere near how Deschacht was, I think his presence really helped his teammate in the second half of the season. Hopefully a full year at the club will benefit him.

----

Squad - I'm really pleased with the squad, and only a couple minor tweaks and we can challenge again next season. Nils Schouterden had an incredible 32 assists, and Jan Deschacht topped the goal scoring charts. Anderlecht must surely be kicking themselves at how they let this player go...to our benefit. :)

Overview | Facilities | Finances | Affiliations

We haven't been paid the prize money yet but we're fine at the club. I will probably try to request to Junior Coaching because it's terrible right now.

Goals for Next season

• Make a Group Stage in Europe, whether Champions League or Europa League
  • Much of the same in the Belgian League, to improve my stock as a manager if I want to jump ship...my contract ends in 2019.

Career Summary:

Overview

Year Team Country League Position Notes
2016-2017 SV Zulte Waregem Belgium Jupiler Pro League 3rd 99 league goals scored!!!
2017-2018 SV Zulte Waregem Belgium Jupiler Pro League 1st Champions!!!

Zultewaregemlogo.png

SV Zulte Waregem - Belgian Jupiler Pro League - 2017-2018 Awards

Belgian Professional Player of the Year - Jan Deschacht (1st), Jose Carlos (3rd)

Belgian Young Player of the Year - Prestone Zenaba (1st)

Belgian Goalkeeper of the Year - Prestone Zenaba (2nd)

Belgian Pro League Top Goalscorer - Jan Deschacht (1st)

Belgian Pro League Best Average Rating - Nils Schouterden (1st), Jan Deschacht (2nd)

Belgian Pro League Most Assists - Nils Schouterden (1st)

Congrats on the league title. That goalkeepr of yours is great! and young too!

He's great and young, but has a release clause of only $1.3 million which I hope no one activates.

I have been also approached by AGS Asteras Tripolis of the Greek league, but rejecting it since they're not making the Champions League and the budgets are similar to Zulte Waregem. I'm open to more offers though....

Ricky Nakano resigns as Canadian national soccer team Head Coach

June 10, 2018

TORONTO - Ricky Nakano and the Canadian Soccer Association have called a press conference to formally announce the resignation of the head coach. There were rumours swirling days before this announcement but all people involved have confirmed that Nakano, who also manages Belgian club team SV Zulte Waregem, has decided to step down.

"I really loved managing the Canadian national team," the Toronto born and raised coach said, "but I felt throughout the season I wasn't giving 110% to the national team as I was busy with my club team back in Belgium. I floated the idea around to the CSA and they wanted me to stay and see through World Cup Qualifying, but I told them I just couldn't do it. It wasn't fair for everyone involved, whether the management here or to fans across Canada, and also Zulte Waregem in Belgium, who were very supportive when I initially took this position. I am perfectly fine with my decision, and I wish that Canadian soccer will get better under a new head coach."

When asked whether he was consider another international job, Nakano replied swiftly with a one word "No" answer. "I'm committed to Zulte Waregem. We just finished the previous season as domestic champions, and I want to make preparations during the offseason to strengthen the squad and repeat. I have no interest in entering international management for the time being, regardless of what openings are available after the World Cup."

Nakano ends his career as the Canadian national coach with a 7-5-7 (W-L-T) record.

------

The other reason was because FM kept crashing after the friendly matches....

Zultewaregemlogo.png

SV Zulte Waregem - Belgian Jupiler Pro League - 2018-2019 Pre-season

Media Prediction: 4th

Jupiler Pro League Expectation: Europa League Qualification

UEFA Champions League Expectation: Reach 3rd Qualifying Phase

Cofidis Cup Expectation: Reach Quarter-Final

Supercoupe de Belgique Expectation: Not important (but we'll try to win it anyways)

TV Rights: $748k

Transfer Budget: $4.79 million

Wage Budget: $6.25 million (currently spending $5,177,037)

logo_dh_fond_clair.jpg

Ricky Nakano has resigned from SV Zulte Waregem

JULY 3, 2018

WAREGEM - Belgian club SV Zulte Waregem and Ricky Nakano has parted ways, various sources within the club have confirmed. It is not noted why they have parted ways, but there are rumours that there was a disagreement between the chairman and Mr. Nakano over the sale of Jan Deschacht to Turkish giants Fenerbahce for $3.2 million. Sources have confirmed that both sides have left by mutual consent and there have been reports of Nakano in deep discussions with fellow Belgian team Club Brugge in regards with their vacant managerial position. Club Brugge finished the Jupiler Pro League season in 9th place, but have qualified for the UEFA Europa League.

-------------------------------------------

Club_Brugge-logo-BF4FA96EA7-seeklogo.com.gif

Ricky Nakano unveiled as the new manager of Club Brugge KV

BRUGES - Canadian manager Ricky Nakano, and former manager of the defending Jupiler Pro League champs Zulte Waregem, has been unveiled as the new manager of Club Brugge. In his two short years at Zulte Waregem, he has managed to turn the club into league champions and a spot in the prestigious UEFA Champions League. Nakano has stated that he's excited about the challenge at the club.

"I know the club didn't have a good past season, but right now, it's a new season and everyone has 0 games played, and 0 points. Last season is in the past already, and the club has qualified for the UEFA Europa League, so we can have a good year in all fronts. It's exciting for everyone associated with the club, and I look forward to bringing Club Brugge back to its winning ways, and ultimately, the league title."

Asked about his time at Zulte Waregem, Nakano was very appreciative of his former club. "Zulte Waregem were a club that gave me a chance in professional football management. I will always be grateful to them that they gave me an opportunity to succeed with the resources they had and it worked out because we won a league title. I hope the best for them and that they can continue to improve as a football club."

Nakano has been signed to a 3 year contract with an annual salary of $475,000.

--------------

Since it's unrealistic for newspapers to know transfer and wage budgets, here they are:

Transfer Budget: $23,500,000

Wage Budget: $16.25 million (currently spending $11.87 million)

I'm happy with the move and even though I won't get to manage in the Champions League, I think Club Brugge is a good challenge, and I'm starting to like the Belgian league so I'm pleased to be managing against familiar opponents too. :)

One thing to add, we have no Europa League. So we're only going to focus on the league and push to get back into Europe.

Good to see you landing on your feet. Brugge definitely a step up in size.

There's a lot of work to do, but the resources are definitely there!

Brugge definitely have potential to be very strong.

The main reason I took the job. They haven't performed up to expectations considering that I spent most of my time at Waregem worrying about Genk, Anderlecht, and Standard. Club Brugge weren't a threat in the Jupiler Pro League but hopefully that will change now.

Good move to Belgium.
Good step up by going to Brugge.

Cheers. I got the money I really wanted. Now it's on me to use what I have to make the next steps at the club.

Maybe you should rename the thread title to Hitchiking across Belgium

Highly likely this is my last stop in Belgium before going somewhere else. I had an offer from Slovakia but elected to stay in the country (the promise of big money to work with was also a big factor, considering in Slovakia the wage budget was 1/3 of what I was working with at Waregem!)

Sounded like the Chairman at SV Zulte Waregem was probably going to sell all of your best players for small fees. If you haven't got a good GK you could activate your GK's release clause at SV Zulte Waregem ;)

Fenerbahce's offer actually automatically activated Deschacht's minimum release clause, it was just that with a year left on my contract, and the squad imploding to a degree. The core at Zulte Waregem were always just built for short-term success. Most of my players don't want to come to Club Brugge though.

Great start to life in Belgium!

Good luck with Brugge- you should do well with them too (and they do amazing chocolate there! :D)

Cheers AK22. I'm in heaven then. I'll be seen in the chocolate shops when I'm not managing. :D

Club_Brugge-logo-BF4FA96EA7-seeklogo.com.gif

Club Brugge KV - 2018-2019

ClubBruggeKVSquad_Players.png

Lots of junk as you can see. This squad is definitely is not good enough to challenge for the league title with all these sub 3 star CA players. I will want to bring the same style of play, the 4-2-4, from Zulte Waregem to Club Brugge, so expect quite a bit of movement, since some players, even if they highly rated by my ass man, they just don't fit into my plans. And even with the budget room we have, I do want the squad to utilize the most out of its resources. Hopefully after the end of transfer window update, the squad will look very different. :)

Archived