The Ultimate Personality/Media Handling Guide

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

does FM14 use the same code for player personalities and MH styles as those shown in this thread, or have they been updated in some way?

did anyone create a spreadsheet to automate this process?

I think i have managed to create a spreadsheet that automates this process. it has worked for the example given in the second thread - not the most extensive testing i know, but its a start!

anyway, i have some questions:

1) do the values given in the first thread apply to FM14 too?

2) what should i do with the values in brackets for the Media Handling bases values for Unf, ST, Vol, and LH?

3) does anyone know the values for the missing personalities, Leader etc...?

thanks

Is it possible to upload .xlsx files somewhere here?

I have created a spreadsheet that seems to be working (NewGens only - though the code for non-NewGens looks v.similar) and would appreciate some testing/ fault finding.

thanks

Thanks Negatrev.

I have uploaded the spreadsheet to my Google account, the link is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Wkkwqh7t3BX25QWEF0NlhtOEU/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully this link will work - I’ve never shared one before.

Please note that the spreadsheet was created in MS Excel in 2010, it will not work in Open Office and I think some of the functions (poss. drop down lists and arrays) will be lost in earlier versions of Excel (?).

I hope you find it useful, if you have any comments or spot any problems then please let me know.

• 2 months later...

There is a Media Handling Style called "Plays Mind Games" which is not described in the OP. Can someone check to see what it is about? I am not using editors currently so I can't.

Note that "Plays Mind Games" seems to only be available to player/coaches and coaches. Still, would be useful to know.

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone give me a bit of a hand with this please. :o

I just want to work through with 1 player so that I can understand how this works full for future use.

I have a Balanced player that has just come though my academy and because he is "Balanced", I understand that this means that he will have the following attribute levels.

Professionalism 1-14

Determination 1-14

Ambition 1-14

Loyalty 1-14

Sportsmanship 1-14

This is where it gets confusing. He is also "1235" & "*35" which equates to the following.

If Det 1-5 then Amb 10-20 is (1). Det is actually 11, so does that mean mean? I thought we had clarified that Ambition was 1-14?

If Det 1-9 then Pro 5-20 is (2). Det is actually 11, so again what does that mean? I assume I ignore it?

If Det 1-9 then Pre 4-20 is (3). Det is actually 11, so again what does that mean? Again, I assume I ignore it?

If Det 11-20 then Spo 5-20 is (5). Ok. Det is 11-20 so does this mean that sportsmanship is not actually 1-14 but is instead 5-20. Is that right? :confused:

Not Temperamental (*) Tem 5-20 and/or Pro 11-20. Well he's not temperamental, but how do I know if this is and/or?

Not Unambitious (3) Amb 6-20 and/or Loy 1-10. He is also not unambitious but how do I know if this is and/or and does it supercede the existing attribute windows?

Not Spirit/Jovial (5) Tem 1-9 and/or Pre 1-14. He is also not spirited/jovial but again I have the same question?

As for Media Handling style....

He is Media-friendly, so that means that the following is true.

MF Con 1-14, Tem 7-20 "12345"

Controversy 1-14

Temperament 7-20

Not Evasive (1) Pre 1-14 and/or Pro 1-14. He's not evasive so these are accurate, but again how do I know if it is and/or?

Not Level-Headed (2) Loy 1-10 and/or (both Spo 1-11 & Pro 1-12)

Not Confrontational (3) Tem 8-20 and/or Spo 8-20

Not Unflappable (4) Tem 1-14 and/or Pre 1-14

Not Reserved (5) Con 6-14 and/or Pro 1-14

How do I know if these are and/or and if they are or, how do I know which one?

Apologies for being a bit dim. I'm just struggling to head around this.

Jimbokav,

OK, first of all let me clarify that I haven't checked the OP's numbers (I am not using editors currently), so I am taking them at face value. Let's start.

If Det 1-5 then Amb 10-20 is (1). Det is actually 11, so does that mean mean? I thought we had clarified that Ambition was 1-14?

Since Det=11, (1) is irrelevant.

If Det 1-9 then Pro 5-20 is (2). Det is actually 11, so again what does that mean? I assume I ignore it?

Yes!

If Det 1-9 then Pre 4-20 is (3). Det is actually 11, so again what does that mean? Again, I assume I ignore it?

Yes!

If Det 11-20 then Spo 5-20 is (5). Ok. Det is 11-20 so does this mean that sportsmanship is not actually 1-14 but is instead 5-20. Is that right?

Not quite. You have to combine Sportsm=1-14 with Sportsm=5-20. The end result is Sportsm=5-14.

(The first one tells you that Sportsm<=14. The second one tells you that Sportsm>=5. Combining them, you get Sportsm=5-14).

Not Temperamental (*) Tem 5-20 and/or Pro 11-20. Well he's not temperamental, but how do I know if this is and/or?

You don't know. This can only be used when you *do* know.

In this specific case, your player is Media Friendly, which means Temp=7-20. So already the Temp-5-20 condition is satisfied. In consequence, you get no information on Professionalism from this.

Not Unambitious (3) Amb 6-20 and/or Loy 1-10. He is also not unambitious but how do I know if this is and/or and does it supercede the existing attribute windows?

It does not supersede it, it is combined.

You know that Amb<=14 and Loy<=14 (because he is Balanced). So both Amb=6-20 and Loy=1-10 may be satisfied. This gives you no new information then.

Not Spirit/Jovial (5) Tem 1-9 and/or Pre 1-14. He is also not spirited/jovial but again I have the same question?

He is Media Friendly, which means Temp=7-20. Combining this with the quoted condition, the information you get is that Temp=7-9 and/or Press=1-14. You can't know if Temp=7-9 is a satisfied condition, so this gives you no new information.

Not Evasive (1) Pre 1-14 and/or Pro 1-14. He's not evasive so these are accurate, but again how do I know if it is and/or?

The Pro=1-14 is satisfied (because he is Balanced), so you get no information on Pressure from this.

So, in result, the information you get is:

Balanced-Media Friendly (for newgens): Prof/Amb/Loy 1-14, Sportsm=5-14, Temp=7-20, Contr=1-14.

This is all you get.

Jimbokav, I wouldn't mind if you brought another example to work through together. If you do, please try it on your own first and then we can compare our results. But it would be better if it were something different than Balanced/MediaFr which is extremely generic and does not yield much information.

Cheers, Jim.

I think I haven't explained "and/or" conditions very well above. So here is a practical explanation for anyone interested:

"and/or" conditions are practically useful only when you know one of the two inputs to be False. When one of the conditions is False, the other one is definitely True.

E.g., in the example of your Balanced/MediaFr player, a (hypothetical) "Professionalism=20 and/or Pressure 11" condition would tell you that Pressure=11, since you know that Prof can't be more than 14.

When you can't be sure that one of the inputs is False, "and/or" conditions won't give you information.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't get it. :p Can someone help me?

Personality: Ambitious

MHS: Outspoken

Det: 2

Its fairly straight forward.

His ambitious personality tells you that: Ambition is between 16 & 19, Loyalty between 1 & 9 and Determination between 1 & 17 (We know its 2).

His MHS tells you that: Temperament is between 7 & 20 and Controversy is between 15 & 20.

Doesn't really tell you that much tbh.

You know his determination is 2, he has high ambition, low to average loyalty, lowish to high temperament & high controversy. It doesn't tell you anything about any hidden attributes not mentioned such as pressure, sportsmanship or professionalism.

Overall he seems like he'll be a pain in the arse to deal with tbh.

I can't get it. :p Can someone help me?

Personality: Ambitious

MHS: Outspoken

Det: 2

His ambitious personality tells you that: Ambition is between 16 & 19, Loyalty between 1 & 9 and Determination between 1 & 17 (We know its 2).

His MHS tells you that: Temperament is between 7 & 20 and Controversy is between 15 & 20.

You know his determination is 2, he has high ambition, low to average loyalty, lowish to high temperament & high controversy. It doesn't tell you anything about any hidden attributes not mentioned such as pressure, sportsmanship or professionalism.

If he is a newgen, then add to that Prof=5-20 (determination case 2). If he is not a newgen, then you only get what Cougar said.

Thank you very much. I get it!

• 2 months later...

Spreadsheet works really well, but it is a bit slow to use. For starters like having to know the short code word for each description, and it seem to only accepts the parameters in certain orders, like a player I checked who is "Volatile, Media-Friendly" can only be input as "MF, Vol" and not the other way around. A drop down menu with all the different things would be nice, or perhaps boxes that you can add to the line by clicking on it. Or something like that.. I'm not very good at stuff like that :)

• 1 month later...
Spreadsheet works really well, but it is a bit slow to use. For starters like having to know the short code word for each description, and it seem to only accepts the parameters in certain orders, like a player I checked who is "Volatile, Media-Friendly" can only be input as "MF, Vol" and not the other way around. A drop down menu with all the different things would be nice, or perhaps boxes that you can add to the line by clicking on it. Or something like that.. I'm not very good at stuff like that :)

Hi

The spreadsheet was created in MS Excel 2010 (see post #58). I anticipated some of the useful functions would be lost if the spreadsheet is opened in earlier versions of Excel or in an open source spreadsheet.

If you are using an older version of Excel, and the drop down lists are not available, then you will have to look at the worksheets to find the correct way to write each Media Handling style and Personality.

I have tried to create drop down lists in the file in a way that MS Excel 2007 will recognise. It is working for me, hopefully this will solve the issue for you too. The link is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Wkkwqh7t3Bc2owTGJrNTlLU0E/view?usp=sharing

thanks

Hi

The spreadsheet was created in MS Excel 2010 (see post #58). I anticipated some of the useful functions would be lost if the spreadsheet is opened in earlier versions of Excel or in an open source spreadsheet.

If you are using an older version of Excel, and the drop down lists are not available, then you will have to look at the worksheets to find the correct way to write each Media Handling style and Personality.

I have tried to create drop down lists in the file in a way that MS Excel 2007 will recognise. It is working for me, hopefully this will solve the issue for you too. The link is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Wkkwqh7t3Bc2owTGJrNTlLU0E/view?usp=sharing

thanks

Ahh, excellent. It works for me now. Thanks heaps!

Wow, someone made a spreadsheet for this. I actually made a little one myself that I'll see if I can dig up, but it didn't end up how I wanted.

EDIT - Holy hell, I used to have so much free time. It's almost depressing looking back on this thread :lol:

• 1 month later...

This is as good a chance as ever to show off the spreadsheet I've been working on. Here's a snapshot of it with the two players in question.

LCqeb08.jpg

I've not quite finished the thing just yet, and I know other people have made some of their own, but I have it so there's a big page of 24 of individual card things that you can fill the personality, media handling and determination, and the stats are calculated for you. Then you can print off the entire thing in one page.

This is as good a chance as ever to show off the spreadsheet I've been working on. Here's a snapshot of it with the two players in question.

LCqeb08.jpg

I've not quite finished the thing just yet, and I know other people have made some of their own, but I have it so there's a big page of 24 of individual card things that you can fill the personality, media handling and determination, and the stats are calculated for you. Then you can print off the entire thing in one page.

Thanks so much Nocuous!Looking forward to your spreadsheet!

Anyway just to have a quick check with you on Januzaj (still using Manual way, LOL)

I agree with all the numbers except PROFESSIONALISM and SPORTSMANSHIP

Because under UNFLAPPABLE, there are another two conditions to fulfill : PRO 13-14 OR SPO 12-20, so how do you conclude your figures as shown in your reply? Hope to hear from you soon

That just means that either one of those conditions could be true. It could be that his professionalism is above 12 or his sportsmanship is above 11. It could be both, but at least one of them is true, and because there's no way to know which one, neither of those limits have been applied to the overall ranges. It's also worth noting I did make a few mistakes when making this thread a couple of years ago, but I believe I have everything right for the spreadsheet the way it is currently. There's just a couple more things I want to check before I post it up.

Thanks for your answer Nocuous! Appreciate it!

Now I roughly know how the calculation comes about, will test with another few of my players, especially youngsters, because it seems that hidden attributes play a big part in tutoring them properly.

You are just awesome!

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I was hoping you could check my work. I'm not sure what to to with the and/or's.

Hernan: Driven, MF, 20 Det

Driven: Det 20, Amb 10-20 other: *16

No Det Cases

Other Cases

* Is not temperamental (Tem 5-20 and Pro 11-20)

1 Is not professional (Pro 11-17 and Tem 5-9)

6 Is not perfectionist (Amb 10-17)

Media Handling:

Media Friendly Con 1-14, Tem 7-9 Cases: 12345

Cases:

1. Not Eva: Pre 1-14 and Pro 11-14

2. Not LH: Loy 1-10 and both Spo 1-11 and Pro 11-12

3. Not Conf: Tem 8-9 and Spo 8-11

4. Not Unf: No change

5. Not Res: Con 6-14

Hernan:

Amb: 10-17

Con: 6-14

Loy: 1-10

Pre: 11-14

Pro:11-12

Spo: 8-11

Tem: 8-9

Is this right?

The thing with the cases (the and/or business) means one or both may be true, but neither can be proven. The idea is that the cases might found through the personality might be proven with the media-handling style values and vice-versa. With your player Hernan, unfortunately both his personality type and media-handling style don't shed much light on his personality overall. Obviously being Driven means his Determination attribute is 20, but Determination isn't hidden to start with. All that can be proven is that his Ambition is 10 or higher, his Temperament is 7 or higher, and his controversy is 14 or lower.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi wilddingoes

I get the same ratings from my spreadsheet as Nocuous gives in his reply (which is always reassuring), though cant remember how it all works now.

I uploaded the spreadsheet for a second time a while back (#70). It works with older versions of excel and doesn't carry any VB Macros, so you shouldn't get any scary messages from MS.

Remember though, life is short and FM will devour yours if you let it... ;)

Happy gaming.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi! Would anyone disagree that a player with an ambitious personality and a media handling of evasive and unflappable would be the best candidate for youth development?

If I read this correctly, any ambitious personality indicates 15+ for ambition, and evasive and unflappable as the media handling gives 15+ for professionalism, pressure and temperament. Pressure and temperament is an added bonus of course.

Or are there any other combo of personality and media handling that is better? Not counting Model Citizens of course, since they are extremly rare.

Hi! Would anyone disagree that a player with an ambitious personality and a media handling of evasive and unflappable would be the best candidate for youth development?

If I read this correctly, any ambitious personality indicates 15+ for ambition, and evasive and unflappable as the media handling gives 15+ for professionalism, pressure and temperament. Pressure and temperament is an added bonus of course.

Or are there any other combo of personality and media handling that is better? Not counting Model Citizens of course, since they are extremly rare.

I think you are spot on with the Amb/Ev combination. Unfortunately, I have found it is also quite rare.

One way I have used to shed a little light on the quality of potential tutors is if you happen to have a professional squad you can scout ambitious players and the reports will give an indication as to whether they will fit in or have to adapt. Thus giving a guide to their professionalism. The same can be done if you have an ambitious squad and then scout professionals.

Hello,

I made a web version of this that does all the calculations. The only difference being that mine doesn't apply the Personality and Media Handling cases. I might add them separately if there's a demand, but personally i found them too unpredictable. I'd rather have a bigger range for attributes than lots of "OR"s.

Any feedback is welcome!

@Nocuous i would love to take a look at your newer data.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Personalities:		Definites:					Cases(det):		Cases(other):

Model Citizen		Pro 18-20, Det 18-20, Pre 18-20, Amb 18-20, Loy 18-20, Spo 18-20, Tem 18-20
Model Professional	Pro 20, Tem 10-20							
Professional		Pro 18-19, Tem 10-20							
Perfectionist		Pro 18-20, Det 18-20, Amb 18-20, Tem 1-9	

The above 4 personalities were copied from the OP.

This is probably a dumb question but here goes.

Is it correct that a player described as a Model Professional can have hidden attributes of sportsmanship and pressure of 1, i.e. only Pro and Tem matter to become a model professional?

Thanks   

55 minutes ago, keithw44 said:

Is it correct that a player described as a Model Professional can have hidden attributes of sportsmanship and pressure of 1, i.e. only Pro and Tem matter to become a model professional?

Yes, they are listed with what takes precedence from top to bottom, so if he fits the 'model pro' requirements then the only thing that will make him not a 'model pro' is if he is a 'model citizen'. 

Which of these 2 young players would have a better chance of reaching their potential through training/tutoring.

Player A personality DETERMINED media handling LEVEL HEADED with determination of 18

Player B personality FAIRLY PROFESSIONAL media handling LEVEL HEADED with determination 14

I'm guessing Player B, but it is just a guess.

Thanks 

2 minutes ago, keithw44 said:

Which of these 2 young players would have a better chance of reaching their potential through training/tutoring.

Player A personality DETERMINED media handling LEVEL HEADED with determination of 18

Player B personality FAIRLY PROFESSIONAL media handling LEVEL HEADED with determination 14

I'm guessing Player B, but it is just a guess.

Thanks 

You are missing the vital component tbh.  The number one reason players improve is time on the pitch.

You also have the issue of not knowing their potential, one might be significantly higher than the other despite what your staff estimate.

What you know:

Player B - Fairly professional tells you that his professionalism is between 15 & 20 (This is one of the key drivers of players improving) and that his determination is between 1 & 14, you know its 14.  Level headed tells you his controversy is 1-14, temperament 7-20, loyalty 11-20 + either sportmanship is 12-20 or professionalism is 13-20 (we know from his personality its 15-20).

Player A - Determined tells you determination is 18 or 19 (We know its 18) & that ambition is 10-20.  Level headed tells you the same as Player B.

Overall we know that professionalism is one of the key attributes behind players improving and we know that Player B's professionalism is high.  We don't really know anything about Player A's professionalism, it could be high, low, somewhere in the middle.

I believe ambition also plays a role in improving and here you know A is between 10 & 20 but you know nothing about B's ambition.

If they are part of your squad you might know a little more by looking at their strengths/weaknesses to give you an idea or even a scout report if not. 

Overall you are asking a question which no-one can give you a clear answer to but if I was betting B seems like a slightly better bet from the info you've given.

I agree with Cougar2010.

Also, you can check with the description of their personality-match with the squad personality to get more information.

If i.e. you have a professional/ambitious squad personality the text can show a couple of different clues
- Player A Personifies this = 16-20 in squad personality trait
- Player A fits in well = 13-15
- Player A Trying to adapt = 7-12
- Player A Lot's of adapting to do = 1-6 

NB! This is based solely on my own observations and I've never checked with editor or 3rd party tools to confirm. I wouldn't expect them to be 100% correct, but definitely close.

In addition, if he is in your team you can give Player A a  heavy training schedule with two extra individual sessions (ppm and attribute focus). If he complains he has medium to low professionalism.

• 10 months later...
On 23 March 2014 at 15:32, JAwtunes said:

Thanks Negatrev.

I have uploaded the spreadsheet to my Google account, the link is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Wkkwqh7t3BX25QWEF0NlhtOEU/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully this link will work - I’ve never shared one before.

Please note that the spreadsheet was created in MS Excel in 2010, it will not work in Open Office and I think some of the functions (poss. drop down lists and arrays) will be lost in earlier versions of Excel (?).

I hope you find it useful, if you have any comments or spot any problems then please let me know.

This is excellent. Thank you.

• 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, Sherdil said:

One of the classic posts in the forum. So helpful up to this day. Thanks again to the OP author.

It's a little out of date now though. I know, for example, that Model Citizen and Perfectionist have had the requirements dropped from 18 to 16. Possible others have been tweaked too. 

• 4 months later...
Am 27.12.2017 um 07:02 schrieb mbchuz:

It's a little out of date now though. I know, for example, that Model Citizen and Perfectionist have had the requirements dropped from 18 to 16. Possible others have been tweaked too. 

Does anyone knows where to find the requirements for FM17/FM18?

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...